PDA

View Full Version : Practice Exams

jesusislord
04-12-2012, 01:23 PM
So what is everyone using as practice exams? Old CAS exams? TIA? All 10?

Also, what is the feel for the difficulty level of these practice exams to the real thing?

I took the combined 2007 exam that TIA put together and basically owned every question. I am seeing that time will be an issue, but overall I feel pretty good after that exam.

Comments?

M^3
04-12-2012, 01:33 PM
The older questions are generally easier than newer questions. I would take 2011 to be more representative of the current state. I don't remember having any other exams to take other than the ones TIA put together.

Also, had you seen the 2007 questions before when you were studying or were you seeing them for the first time? I usually try to do old questions when I'm studying but don't do some of the newer questions so I have some completely fresh practice exams at the end.

jesusislord
04-12-2012, 02:10 PM
i havent seen most of the newer questions for the same reason you stated.

i am saving the 2011 exam for last to gauge where i am at.

thanks.

Dedicated111
04-14-2012, 12:06 PM
I'm using TIA's practice exams, saving 2011 for last as well. I also was going to make sure I had time to go through some of the TIA "New Problems" (again), maybe 2-3 from each chapter. I'll probably do that in between the old problems to mix it up some. And reviewing notecards/notes constantly.

SMMBB
04-17-2012, 03:17 PM
Isn't this great? The questions are harder, the syllabus makes up much more than 50% of the old 5 & 6 material, and (based on recent trends) the pass mark will likely be higher than ever before. Fills you with confidence, doesn't it?

Revis Island
04-20-2012, 09:53 AM
Judging by last year's exam, I think the TIA exams are fairly reasonable. Because the full five is the combination of two 2 hour exams this year, you can expect the split between ratemaking and reserving to be 50/50 (even though the syllabus and TIA place it at around 60/40ish). With so many core concepts to cover in so short a time both exams get right to business. There are probably less of the freebie type questions than what TIA has, although it's been a year since I looked at them.