PDA

View Full Version : Poker Hand - Pot Limit SNG

minus790
02-27-2004, 01:35 PM
Okay, here's a hand from this morning. Opinions requested.

Mid-Late position, early in a pot-limit SNG, blinds are 10/15, all the stacks are substantially similar.

I get dealt QQ, and 4 limpers in front of me. I raise the max (pot limit), and get one caller to my left, and one to my right.

Flop comes a rainbow of rags. Check on my right.

I bet the pot. Lefty folds, and righty calls.

Another brick on 4th street. No straight or flush possible yet. The pot is about 1200. I've got about 300 left. I put it all in and get called.

What's righty got? Have I played this wrong?

Expunge
02-27-2004, 01:54 PM
i think i would do the same when you get called on the flop with only 300 left your pot committed, especially with an overpair. right is either a passive player, or making weak calls.

minus790
02-27-2004, 01:58 PM
Thing is, isn't it wrong to play his hand the way he has, no matter what he's got?

If he's got me beat right now, he has a hand that should've raised with 3 limpers before him pre-flop, right?

Or even, if he's suckering us in, I'd reraise preflop once I had 2 people committed to a big stack of chips behind me?

Expunge
02-27-2004, 02:06 PM
I can see a mid / small pocket pair preflop. if he hits his set on the flop he should check, now when you make a pot bet he could reraise you, but also knowing that it's heads up can allow him to just call and hopefully wait for you to bet the turn. if you check the turn. he pretty much has to come out for a bet on the river to make sure he gets maximum value.

So i guess there are hands he could have and be correct in my view, but it's still the passive way to play.

Bama Gambler
02-27-2004, 02:07 PM
Have I played this wrong?Not in my opinion.

minus790
02-27-2004, 02:20 PM
I can see a mid / small pocket pair preflop. if he hits his set on the flop he should check, now when you make a pot bet he could reraise you, but also knowing that it's heads up can allow him to just call and hopefully wait for you to bet the turn. if you check the turn. he pretty much has to come out for a bet on the river to make sure he gets maximum value.

So i guess there are hands he could have and be correct in my view, but it's still the passive way to play.

Mid/Small pocket pair limping, fine. You're getting the implied odds you need on your initial call.

Once there's a maximum raise on your left and a cold call of that raise, and it's back to you, you are not getting the right odds to continue with the hand.

It seems like the Fundamental Theorem of Poker ought to be punishing people more than I've been observing lately :)

Expunge
02-27-2004, 02:31 PM
Mid/Small pocket pair limping, fine. You're getting the implied odds you need on your initial call.

Once there's a maximum raise on your left and a cold call of that raise, and it's back to you, you are not getting the right odds to continue with the hand.

It seems like the Fundamental Theorem of Poker ought to be punishing people more than I've been observing lately :)

Limping you might even be getting correct pot odds to call, definately getting implied odds.
After a pot raise and a cold call a hand like 99 TT or JJ might still have appropriate odds to call if they are incorrectly putting you not on an over pair. if no over comes though i think it would be an all in bet, or if the set comes it would allow a slowplay. many players at lower limits and especially early in a tournament will make this call. probabily incorrect, but also prob doesn't have a significant negative expected value.

Expunge
02-27-2004, 04:33 PM
well what did he have?

minus790
02-28-2004, 04:42 AM
american airlines