PDA

View Full Version : How many pieces of scrap paper did Prometric give you?

Islander786
08-13-2012, 05:57 PM
At my Prometric site, I was only given 4 pieces of scrap paper to use for Exam MFE. Is that normal? This was my first time taking a CBT exam, so I was surprised. I ran out of scrap paper by question 16 and when I asked for more, the Prometric lady said she had to shred my first 4 pieces of scrap paper before she could give me 4 more. What the hell?

ebeebs
08-13-2012, 06:09 PM
At my Prometric site, I was only given 4 pieces of scrap paper to use for Exam MFE. Is that normal? This was my first time taking a CBT exam, so I was surprised. I ran out of scrap paper by question 16 and when I asked for more, the Prometric lady said she had to shred my first 4 pieces of scrap paper before she could give me 4 more. What the hell?

I think it should be a 20 something page booklet that ends up being 50 something pages if you count front + back as 2 pages. 4 is outrageous.

I'd inform the SOA of the site that did this so they can bitch-slap them into getting their chit together.

ebeebs
08-13-2012, 06:09 PM
Though, it is true that you have to give your booklet if you want more paper, but that shouldn't even be a problem with a normal amount of paper.

MayanActuary
08-13-2012, 06:13 PM
26 page booklet in both prometric locations i have tested at.

JDM41
08-13-2012, 07:17 PM

I second this. 52 pages for me when I took it last week. I didn't use all of it but I definitely used more than 4 pages, what a bunch of BS.

ksizzler
08-13-2012, 09:01 PM

:iatp:

I have tested in 3 different locations and I have always been given a 26 page booklet.

Colonel Smoothie
08-13-2012, 09:07 PM
I think it should be a 20 something page booklet that ends up being 50 something pages if you count front + back as 2 pages. 4 is outrageous.

I'd inform the SOA of the site that did this so they can bitch-slap them into getting their chit together.

They should have given you a big booklet with more than enough pages (should be able to use at least one page per problem). That has always been the case for me.

Colonel Smoothie
08-13-2012, 09:10 PM
http://www.beanactuary.org/exams/rules/?fa=procedures-on-exam-day

8.The test administrator will provide you with two pencils and one 52-page Scratch Booklet. You may request as many Scratch Booklets and pencils as necessary, but must return the used Booklet when asking for a new one as test center policy dictates that you may have only one Scratch Booklet at a time. If you fill up the Scratch Booklet or need a new pencil, you should raise your hand and the test administrator will take the old Scratch Booklet or pencil and provide a new one. You should manage your work to ensure that you do not turn in a booklet with a problem in progress. Removing a Scratch Booklet from the test center is considered an act of misconduct.

I would call the SOA and inform them what happened. The test center did not follow procedure.

drsingh
08-13-2012, 09:11 PM

This is a case of BADLY misinformed Prometric proctor. Definitely report this center to SOA.

They are supposed to give you a booklet that has about 50 pages (green sheet, stapled together). I am a heavy writer... as I read, I write everything, r=xx, delta=zz, etc. I used about 45 or so pages. I always started a new question on a new page. I reserved the first page to just write my answer (before clicking it on computer). if I didn't get something solved/matching one of the given choices within round off, I always left 2 pages blank, where I came and retried.

I would scream, or just leave the exam!

George L. Costanza
08-13-2012, 09:34 PM
You have to know your rights so you don't get screwed. You learned a valuable life lesson for relatively little cost.

George L. Costanza
08-13-2012, 09:35 PM
I have had to fight to bring in a calculator before. Prometric peons are not too bright and really don't care.

Colonel Smoothie
08-13-2012, 09:39 PM
You have to know your rights so you don't get screwed. You learned a valuable life lesson for relatively little cost.

Calculator problems are common, so I always bring a printout of the rules saying we can have more than one calculator. Now hearing this, I'll probably have a printout of the entire guidelines on hand.

hello_actuary
08-13-2012, 10:24 PM
I was offered a pack of 50 scratch papers (counted front and back as two pages). I used all of those papers to solve 30 questions, but I ran out of papers at the last minute of the exam. Therefore, I did not ask for more papers.

mochishans
08-13-2012, 11:34 PM

Calculator problems are common, so I always bring a printout of the rules saying we can have more than one calculator. Now hearing this, I'll probably have a printout of the entire guidelines on hand.

The test center I use is very good at these things, they have the entire guideline printed out and match my calculator(s) to the guildline to make sure they are allowed each time, and follow the instructions to reset my calculator.

Islander786
08-14-2012, 07:24 PM
Thank you everyone for confirming my fear... that even Prometric cannot be trusted to administer exams fairly. I honestly didn't even look at the yellow booklet of scrap paper until I had already hit the start button, and at that point, I figured I might as well just address it when I ran out of paper. I did have a long discussion with the Prometric lady after the exam and she assured me that all SOA exams get the standard yellow booklet of 4 pieces of paper and I was the very first actuarial student to complain about this. Perhaps I should avoid the Tempe, Arizona Prometric site in the future if this is how informed their employees are.

I will be contacting the SOA tomorrow. It's too bad because this is my last exam for my ASA and it's quite possible I got a 4 or 5 this sitting so even a couple more questions right could have meant a pass for me.

jaws274
08-14-2012, 08:14 PM
Yeah I had a green booklet. I asked If I could remove a sheet to write down stuff as long as I place it back in there at the end. They said it was okay as long as I didn't rip it up.

hello_actuary
08-14-2012, 10:53 PM
Thank you everyone for confirming my fear... that even Prometric cannot be trusted to administer exams fairly. I honestly didn't even look at the yellow booklet of scrap paper until I had already hit the start button, and at that point, I figured I might as well just address it when I ran out of paper. I did have a long discussion with the Prometric lady after the exam and she assured me that all SOA exams get the standard yellow booklet of 4 pieces of paper and I was the very first actuarial student to complain about this. Perhaps I should avoid the Tempe, Arizona Prometric site in the future if this is how informed their employees are.

I will be contacting the SOA tomorrow. It's too bad because this is my last exam for my ASA and it's quite possible I got a 4 or 5 this sitting so even a couple more questions right could have meant a pass for me.

Every test is treated fair. In general, the Prometric Testing Center gives every test taker a pack of roughly 50 pages (counts front and back as two pages). Maybe your testing center has little experience of providing actuarial exams.

In addition, everyone is only offered two pencils on each exam, but he or she can ask for more sharpened pencils when original two pencils are used up.

When I took P and FM, I used about total 4 pencils, respectively. However, for MFE, I used 7 pencils.

drsingh
08-15-2012, 03:04 PM
When I took P and FM, I used about total 4 pencils, respectively. However, for MFE, I used 7 pencils.

I am a "heavy writer" ... I tend to write all the input values, intermediate results etc. Still, for all 3 exams taken so far, P, FM and MFE, I found 2 pencils quite sufficient (1 nearly blunted, the second one could last another 45 minutes or so). At the San Jose site, they have green pencils that are quite good.

Funny thing is, during practice tests at home, I often go through 4-5 pencils.

vjvj
08-15-2012, 03:51 PM
In addition, everyone is only offered two pencils on each exam, but he or she can ask for more sharpened pencils when original two pencils are used up.

The proctor when I was there was really good - she saw me coming and was already holding out replacement pencils before I even got to her.

BLBarK
08-15-2012, 04:05 PM
2 pencils?!?!?! The proctors over here have given me about 10 every single time!

dancran1220
08-15-2012, 04:36 PM
I hate pencil.... Only use it on the exam sitting. Pens FTW!

BLBarK
08-15-2012, 04:47 PM
I hate pencil.... Only use it on the exam sitting. Pens FTW!

I use a dry erase board lol....

mathotaku
08-15-2012, 06:02 PM
If there is a next time, go to the Goodyear site - you'll get your 52 pages and a handful of pencils. The check-in process has been very smooth for me there.

T.T
08-15-2012, 11:25 PM

Wow are you me?

I had the exact same experience as you. It was my last prelim and I've NEVER had a problem with the prometric site before until this sitting. First, it was a different proctor and he brought out a metal detector to scan my body. Never had this done before. Then, he gave me the same stupid yellow book with like max 6 pages. I asked him if I can have the normal green booklet with 30+ pages like they've given me in the past and he said this is the standard. He said he can't give me more than one and that I had to get up and ask him if I needed another booklet.

I will be contacting the SOA as well because that was probably the worst CBT experience I had. Not only did getting up and handing in my used booklet for a new one break my concentration, but if I had to go back to a previous question I marked, I can't check over my work or make changes if it was written in the booklet I just handed in. I also had formulas written down on the front page as well.

Pathetic. I've heard horror stories about this site from my co-workers as well.

George L. Costanza
08-16-2012, 12:43 AM
The 52 page booklet must not be too common for other exams at Prometric. I took one of my exams in a remote city. I think I was the first actuarial student at this prometric and they were amazed that I got a green booklet with so many pages. They couldn't understand why a math test needed so much paper.

Islander786
08-16-2012, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the support T.T. I wrote the following email to the SOA. I wonder if they'll choose to do anything about this test site.

Dear SOA,

I am writing to express a complaint against the Tempe, Arizona Prometric test center #5143. I recently sat for Exam MFE at this site on August 7 at 1:00pm. I am an actuarial student with many years of experience taking SOA exams, however this sitting was the first sitting for me at a Prometric site. Exam MFE is my final requirement to earn my ASA.

Because I was only given a 4-page scratch booklet, I ran out of scratch paper halfway through my exam. Unfortunately, I did not examine the yellow booklet of scratch paper until I had already hit the exam start button, so I was unable to address this until after my exam clock was ticking. Around question 16 of 30, I was forced to hand in all my work, including work I had done on some unanswered questions, in order to get another 4-page scratch booklet. Having to argue with the Prometric lady midway into the exam was very frustrating and unpleasant for me.

I did have a second discussion with the same Prometric lady (there were two Prometric employees there that day – one older lady and one younger man) after the exam, and she assured me that all SOA exams get the standard yellow booklet of 4 pieces of paper and I was the only actuarial student to ever complain about this. This statement seems very strange to me.

I am writing this email because not only do I feel my exam on August 7 was not administered correctly and fairly, but I also feel like I shouldn’t have to avoid the Tempe Prometric site in the future out of concern for their incompetence. Please help me understand what measures I can take to ensure this doesn’t happen to me, or any other actuarial student, when taking an actuarial exam at center #5143 again.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Malyerac
08-17-2012, 09:09 AM
26!