PDA

View Full Version : Poker hand: Hit the pot?

Happy Extinction
03-02-2004, 10:28 PM
xx

minus790
03-03-2004, 02:10 AM
Check away.

And I don't personally like the raise before the flop.

Voter
03-03-2004, 08:46 AM
Why take risks this early in a tourney. One of your opponents could have ace/weak kicker. They're afraid to bet due to your preflop raise, but won't fold either. I noticed that it's still 1st level and you're already down a quarter of your stack. How did this happen, and what might your image be? If you have an aggressive image and checked the flop, a bet now might be an obvious scare card play. Further, there's two possible flush draws on the board.

You're on a draw. It might check around again and give you another free card.

Expunge
03-03-2004, 08:48 AM
after one of last nights tourneys i fold.

Happy Extinction
03-03-2004, 09:27 AM
xx

Bama Gambler
03-03-2004, 09:55 AM
What about now??

***** Hand History for Game 426069265 *****
200/400 TourneyTexasHTGameTable (NL) (Tournament 2509163) - Mon Mar 01 20:20:31 EST 2004
Table Card Room Table 4643 (Real Money) -- Seat 1 is the button
Total number of players : 4
Seat 1: PBLUNTZ (3635)
Seat 3: JCWorsham (1375)
Seat 5: tommybe (1230)
Seat 8: nicorf (1760)
JCWorsham posts small blind (100)
tommybe posts big blind (200)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to JCWorsham [ 9h, 9c ]
nicorf calls (200)
PBLUNTZ folds.
JCWorsham raises (500) to 600
tommybe calls (400)
PBLUNTZ: lets see it
nicorf calls (400)
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 7h, 3h, Jc ]
PBLUNTZ: ya
JCWorsham ???Either call pre-flop or move all-in. In both of these hands you made big mistakes pre-flop which is making your decisions harder on the later streets. Given how you played pre-flop I think you need to move-in on the flop, but you are in trouble.

Voter
03-03-2004, 10:01 AM
Without knowing anything about the players, and assuming this is a SNG with top 3 paid:

I would have folded preflop. On the bubble people are concerned about making it to the money. Nicorf is second stack, but not by much. He doesn't have chips to throw around, so the fact that he put money into the pot voluntarily means he has something. On the bubble, don't challenge strength, challenge weakness. Let nico and tommy play. Hopefully they'll each hit a piece of the flop and one of them will be eliminated or crippled.

Nico's call, rather than raise, could mean that he's got a monster and wants more than the blinds out of the hand. Could also mean that he's got a weaker, but still playable, hand. Hard to say not having played against him.

If Nico had raised, and had a history of steals, I think 99 is a good hand to defend with.

Anyway, you raised, and he called, but didn't reraise. If he had a monster, I think he reraises, knowing that you're probably pot committed already and will call. Since he didn't he probably has a weaker playable hand. High card with a weak kicker, smaller pocket pairs than yours are possibilities. You could be ahead right now, but your hand is vulnerable. I say push it all in.

Happy Extinction
03-03-2004, 10:09 AM
xx

Happy Extinction
03-03-2004, 10:12 AM
Without knowing anything about the players, and assuming this is a SNG with top 3 paid:

I would have folded preflop.

Really - even in SB?

I tend to get more aggressive with 4 left because usually everyone plays like you suggest - try to sneak into the money and play tighter. Hmmmmm..

Voter
03-03-2004, 10:33 AM

I would have folded preflop.

Really - even in SB?

I tend to get more aggressive with 4 left because usually everyone plays like you suggest - try to sneak into the money and play tighter. Hmmmmm..I tend to get more aggressive with steals and buys on the bubble because people are trying to sneak into the money. I get aggressive when there's been no signs of strength. Someone putting money - even the minimum - into the pot voluntarily on the bubble is showing strength. I'd rather challenge weakness with poor cards than challenge strength with medium cards.

Before I adopted this strategy I had a lot of 4th and 5th place finishes, now I'm making the money much more frequently.

Bama Gambler
03-03-2004, 11:56 AM
Blinds 100-200
Button: (3635)
SB: (1375)
BB: (1230)
UTG: (1760)

SB dealt [ 9h, 9c ]
UTG calls (200)

When it comes to you the pot is already 500. UTG showed weakness by only limping. He probably has two big cards or a small pocket pair. If you raise to 600, then the other two players only have to call 400. So you are laying them 1000:400. Further if the BB calls then UTG is getting 1400:400. 99 is not strong enough to put half your chips in the middle when you will likely be called (maybe by two players). Now what do you do when an overcard flops (which it will more often than not)? This is the perfect time to go all-in and pick the pot up right there. If you are called then most likely you are against two overcards (making you a slight favor) or an under-pair (making you a huge favorite).

Happy Extinction
03-03-2004, 12:44 PM
OK, makes sense. thanks bama and voter.

I did go all in and luckily won.

Expunge
03-03-2004, 01:15 PM
i agree pretty much with whats been said...

to me this is a limp (and hope to hit the set for free post flop or get an 8 high flop) or raise all in and take your chances on a taking the pot down or a coin flip.

99 is very difficult to play post flop.

MNBridge
03-03-2004, 02:26 PM
My general rule is (and all my rules are general) if I can raise preflop and still be able to raise the pot after the flop I will use that. If I can't and I have a hand like 99 it's all in baby.
P.S. I will not fold nines if no one in front of me raised, but in your situation I may Check and bet the pot at the flop.

So I think you have 2 choices preflop:
1) All in
2) call and with a good flop bet
I vary between the 2.

If in situation 2.
After the flop - (Not the greatest board but certainly not bad).
1) Check and fold or
2) Bet the pot (I may bet 1/2 of my remaining chips instead of the pot)
Again I vary my play here.

My reasons for the above:
Once you bet 600 everyone knows you are pot committed. Basically what this means is you have agreed to put all your chips in and they get to decide if they want to match it AFTER SEEING 3 CARDS.

Happy Extinction
03-03-2004, 02:47 PM
My reasons for the above:
Once you bet 600 everyone knows you are pot committed. Basically what this means is you have agreed to put all your chips in and they get to decide if they want to match it AFTER SEEING 3 CARDS.

Great way to put it :notworth: