PDA

View Full Version : Poker in Vegas

lawfi5h
03-09-2004, 10:10 AM
I just got back from Vegas and I thought I'd share with the group some of my poker related experiences (unless you want to hear about winning $2700 at the slots or getting propositioned by 2 hookers...which happened BEFORE i hit the slot thing, luckily):

1) Walking into the Bellagio and peaking into the high limit section and seeing Jennifer Harmen, Phil Ivey, and Gus Hansen playing at the same table. The next night I saw Gus and Doyle Brunson! playing at the same table and Sam Grizzle playing at another table.

2) The Bellagio had a nice little $100 NL Ring game with $1 and $2 blinds. I had lost only $5 due to blinds when I got dealt A-A in LP. Of course I am going nuts, but I was afraid of being first to act and betting too big to win only $3. I was lucky to be in LP and a guy in MP raised to $20. Two seats to my right calls. So I lean back and think. It was really a question of how much to raise...not IF i was going to raise. So I leaned back a little...made sure I had control of my hand so it wasn't shaking when I was counting my chips, and smoothly laid out $80. First raiser thought for what must have been 5 minutes (or at least it felt like it to me), and then folded, as did the other guy. At least I didn't get outdrawn.... I was up $100 at one point, until they broke my table and I got tossed into the shark tank, and those guys were way better then me (Bama...were you there?? lol) and they ate at my chips. I stood up with $100 in chips (broke even) and a good story for the night.

3) I finished second at a tourny at the Luxor. That was a lot of fun. Nothing too good to say about the tourny structure (starts at limit, then becomes no limit - and the ratio of starting chips/BB in the first level is only 20), but it lasted a good 2 hours with 35 people and was a lot of fun.

All in all it was a good time. I managed to play 2-4 at:
-Flamingo
-Palms
-Luxor

I played a little 4-8 and of course the NL game at the Bellagio. There were a few other poker rooms I didn't get a chance to see. Those 2-4 tables were so loose....very easy to win some good money there (even though it's 2-4...One rush brought me $125 in 40 minutes!). I heard a rumor from one of the dealers out there that Paris is opening a poker room, and it should be pretty big. The Bellagio upped their NL ring game to $200 with blinds at $2-$4 to get more rake off it, effective the last day I was there...and it was permanent.

Bama Gambler
03-09-2004, 10:50 AM
I'm jealous. I still haven't been to Vegas......YET!

foghorn
03-09-2004, 11:31 AM
I"m going in a couple of weeks, but it sounds like the poker stuff might be out of my range. I prefer the SnG style NL play. Is there anything like that for a guy with a modest gambling budget?

lawfi5h
03-09-2004, 11:34 AM
I"m going in a couple of weeks, but it sounds like the poker stuff might be out of my range. I prefer the SnG style NL play. Is there anything like that for a guy with a modest gambling budget?

Depends how "modest" you are. THe $200 NL game at the Bellagio might fit that style if you are comfortable with a Ring game and laying out $200.

The Friday Bellagio tourny is $500+$40, but they have satellites all day that are essentially SnG. It's $100+$30 and it starts whenever they get 10 people to play. Top 2 win the entry to the big tourny at 5:00PM that day. They had about 160 people in, with the winner getting roughly $30,000. I didn't get to play cause I was on the other end of the strip with some guys and it was out of pure laziness that I didn't make it back that way.

Hummer
03-09-2004, 01:00 PM
Just made reservations for a trip in June. Four nights at the Bellagio, unfortunately I won't be there on a Friday (big Bellagio tourney).

I've played the Luxor tourney twice. Knocked out early once and 3rd the other time. Don't like the format, but it was the only tourney going.

FSAme
03-09-2004, 01:08 PM
I just got back from Vegas and I thought I'd share with the group some of my poker related experiences (unless you want to hear about winning $2700 at the slots or getting propositioned by 2 hookers...which happened BEFORE i hit the slot thing, luckily):

I wanna hear about the 2 hookers.

USCanuck
03-09-2004, 01:47 PM

And the 2700 slot win, just for fun. You play slots?????

lawfi5h
03-09-2004, 02:21 PM

And the 2700 slot win, just for fun. You play slots?????

Hooker story:
SO I am walking back from the bellagio at 5:30AM on the first night. I am walking over that walkway above the strip from the bellagio to bally's/barbary coast area. No one else is on the walk way, except these 2 girls walking by. So I take my chances and smile at the one looking at me. She stops, turns around, and comes back to where I am at and she said "where are you going". I am like "back to my room, I am beat". She's like "oh, that’s a shame…wanna hang out with us?" So I say sure, what are you up to. She says "let's go back to your room". I'm like "nah, my boys are passed out…what about your room?". So she's like "where are you from?" So when I said cleveland, she asked me to prove it. I'm like "no, I’m not gonna prove it…you want me to take out my wallet so you can steal it…no way." So I finally decide to show them my licence, and then they are satisifed (that I am not a cop). So I find out they are from NY and are strippers. So after 5 minutes of chit chat, they are like "So…you wanna party with us tonight in our room" So like an idiot, I am like "what do you mean"…they just look at each other and smile, and the one girl goes, "How much is it worth for you to get with the 2 of us tonight?" I was like "sorry, I am not into that…I won't pay to hang out". So she walked away.

Slot story:
First off, I hate slots. But I was at the club at Hard Rock with the guys and i was tanked. So I stepped outside to get some air. I told my boys I'd be back in a minute, and that I wouldn't pass out (which I have a history of). So I was walking around and decided to play nickel slots. But the whole place was packed, and I wondered into the high limit slot room because it was emptier (on accident). So when I sat down at a machine with a 5 on it, i didn't notice it was $5. Once I was at the machine, I thought I'd toss in $30 to see what would happen. On the 4th pull, I hit a 540 credit win. Unbelievable. I had to fill out a tax form and then they paid the whole $2700 in cash! I was so paranoid walking back into the club (30 minutes later, mind you...my boys were pissed thinking i passed out somewhere) with over $3000 on me. At the point in the trip, i had lost over $600 at the tables...

foghorn
03-09-2004, 02:24 PM

Depends how "modest" you are. THe $200 NL game at the Bellagio might fit that style if you are comfortable with a Ring game and laying out $200.

The Friday Bellagio tourny is $500+$40, but they have satellites all day that are essentially SnG. It's $100+$30 and it starts whenever they get 10 people to play. Top 2 win the entry to the big tourny at 5:00PM that day. They had about 160 people in, with the winner getting roughly $30,000. I didn't get to play cause I was on the other end of the strip with some guys and it was out of pure laziness that I didn't make it back that way.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I won't be there on a Friday. Maybe I should refresh my mind on basic blackjack strategies.

Westley
03-09-2004, 02:33 PM
or getting propositioned by 2 hookers

Not that I ever wanted to, but why am I the only person I know who never gets propositioned by hookers in Vegas? Am I so unattractive that they wouldn't even do it for the money, or do I just look poor? Maybe I'm so handsome that they assume I don't need to pay! Yeah, that's the ticket!

Bama Gambler
03-09-2004, 02:41 PM
So I finally decide to show them my licence, and then they are satisifed (that I am not a cop). I thought prostitution is legal in Vegas. Do you have to be registered to be a hooker?

Cynical Realist
03-09-2004, 02:48 PM
I thought on your original poker story the point was to be that you had 7-2o and bluffed the pros out because they had you pegged as a tight player. Didn't you ever see Rounders? Anyone can bet ovet the top with pocket Aces.

Hooker story: ....
I was like "sorry, I am not into that…I won't pay to hang out". So she walked away.

Just think for a couple of hundred dollars you could have had a much better story to tell! :wink:

Slot story: ...
I had to fill out a tax form and then they paid the whole $2700 in cash! I was so paranoid walking back into the club ...

No need to be worried, $2,700 in cash is pocket money in Vegas. In Vegas hundred dollar bills are like $20 anywhere else. Although you should be worried if you had that much in cash in your pockets and followed the hookers to their room. Because then you might be taking a gamble you weren't expecting to take.

Cynical Realist
03-09-2004, 02:50 PM
I thought prostitution is legal in Vegas. Do you have to be registered to be a hooker?

Prostitution is illegal in Vegas (Clark County). It is voted on by county. The county north of Clark has legal prostitution. That's where the brothels are (or were) located (not that I've ever been there, I just read alot).

USCanuck
03-09-2004, 04:36 PM
or getting propositioned by 2 hookers

Not that I ever wanted to, but why am I the only person I know who never gets propositioned by hookers in Vegas? Am I so unattractive that they wouldn't even do it for the money, or do I just look poor? Maybe I'm so handsome that they assume I don't need to pay! Yeah, that's the ticket!

Don't feel that you're missing out on anything. I was so aghast I wished it had never happened. I think I was just taken by surprise. But part of me would like it to happen again so that I could try out some rehearsed responses.

O. Hannah
03-09-2004, 04:42 PM
I saw a 60-70 year old white guy with two 20-something girls hanging on him at the Bellagio. Physically, they were very very close in appearance to Venus and Serena Williams and towered over this guy. It was pretty funny to see.

Also saw this brunette that looked like Salma Hyeck (spelling?) with bigger knockers and a bra-less unbelievable outfit on. WOW! But judging from her looks the 2700 from the slots was just not going to get the job done if you get my drift.

win diesel
03-11-2004, 01:21 PM
Just got back from Vegas. The Mirage has not been mentioned in this thread, but it is also a great place to play poker. Next to the Bellagio, it is the second biggest room. I played at the Mirage because they offered a 3/6 game. The lowest game the Bellagio offers is 4/8.

Its right in the middle of a busy area so it attracted alot of newbies. The games were great. Mostly loose passive. Sometimes loose aggressive if a maniac or two got it going. Some big pots for a 3/6 game. Fun fun time. You won't see Doyle Brunson, but Norm MacDonald was there.

Bama Gambler
03-11-2004, 02:39 PM
but Norm MacDonald was there.Cool. Was he playing poker? If so, what limits?

win diesel
03-11-2004, 03:33 PM
He was playing in the nightly NL tournament. $100+25 buyin, with one rebuy.

Supposedly Bill Gates has played there as well. What's funny is that when he plays, he plays 3/6! This is what a dealer told me, I don't know whether or not its true.

lawfi5h
03-12-2004, 09:43 AM

Supposedly Bill Gates has played there as well. What's funny is that when he plays, he plays 3/6! This is what a dealer told me, I don't know whether or not its true.

I wouldn't be shocked 'cause I heard that he is often sighted at the $5 Blackjack tables....he does it for the environment, not to make any more money.

O. Hannah
03-12-2004, 11:07 AM

I wouldn't be shocked 'cause I heard that he is often sighted at the $5 Blackjack tables....he does it for the environment, not to make any more money.

lol. Really if you stop and think about it....if you really liked to gamble...it would kinda suck to be Bill Gates. Hey, anybody want in on my NCAA tournament pool? Cool...it's only 100million a slip. Oh too steep? Well, we have a squares pool that's only 50million........ :D

Cynical Realist
03-12-2004, 11:54 AM
Gates playing $5 BJ is like us playing for toothpicks.

Some people don't like to gamble - I definately see it in the Actuarial world where some actuaries never gamble, and don't understand why anybody would - they get nervous making a $5 bet - then there's the rest of us...

schleprock
03-12-2004, 01:06 PM

The environment??!? :shake: If the environment he's looking for involves inexperienced dealers, drunk bikers, and less attractive cocktail waitresses, the $5 tables are the right spot. Otherwise, he should really consider the high rollers room.

win diesel
03-12-2004, 02:01 PM
Right, I can't understand why he wouldn't play higher level blackjack, its the same game except for a nicer atmosphere. But I can definitely understand him playing 3/6 poker as opposed to 40/80. 3/6 poker is a completely different game than 40/80. Many more people seeing flops, playing loose, chatting, talking trash etc.

Loner
03-13-2004, 03:06 PM
There's a wider mix of people at the $5 tables, plus everybody's less uptight when somebody does something stupid. If I had a billion dollars I'd still play at the $5 tables.

Anyway, forget about the hooker story, I wanna hear about these "Boys" you keep referring to. ;)