PDA

View Full Version : How many knocks do you knock when you knock?

Bicycle Repair Man
10-17-2012, 11:12 PM
You're knocking on someone's door. How many times do you knock?

Smart Actuary
10-17-2012, 11:14 PM
You're knocking on someone's door. How many times do you knock?

Depends on how many pizzas Im carrying. If its a heavy bag, I tend to knock more as to hurry the customer. :tup:

Annie Howe
3. I heard that is rude from some Japanese people. Unless my leg got pulled, the correct number for a Japanese knock is 2.

keyser soze
ring the doorbell, or throw a brick through the window

celalta
10-17-2012, 11:27 PM
Considering the only doors I knock on are my children's bedroom doors, or the bathroom door, it's pretty much always the Sheldon knock. Anywhere else I go (family or friend), I belong there, and I walk right in because I'm expected.

SharksFan08
10-17-2012, 11:55 PM
I go 3, then 5 if they don't answer, then 7, then I go away.

Actuary321
10-18-2012, 12:11 AM
You messed up that 3, then say the person's name. You are suppose to repeat that 2 more times. :)

Baby, ByeBye
10-18-2012, 12:14 AM
I go 3. Then I get out my bazooka

Buck
10-18-2012, 12:25 AM
I push the button twice first, then wait for about three seconds before I start knocking.

QMO
10-18-2012, 12:32 AM
2 to 4. I don't knock the same amount every time.

ElDucky
10-18-2012, 12:32 AM
[(Knock) x 3 + Penny] x 3

MightySchoop
10-18-2012, 07:54 AM
knock---knock--knock knock---knock
("shave and a hair cut")

repeat until a cartoon rabbit appears.

BG5150
10-18-2012, 08:20 AM
*knock, knock, knock* "Penny"

damn. ninja'd

GargoyleWaiting
10-18-2012, 08:30 AM

damn. ninja'd

I'm pretty sure ninja's don't knock. Would sort of defeat the purpose.

Patience
10-18-2012, 08:36 AM
2 --

1 makes it hard to know it is an actual knock

more just hurts too much

BG5150
10-18-2012, 08:45 AM
Sometimes I do a "Shave and a haircut" knock.

Does that count as seven? I think it should be its own category.

BG5150
10-18-2012, 08:46 AM
1 makes it hard to know it is an actual knock
This happened to me this morning. I was int he bathroom when I hear something. I thought it was someone in the upstairs bathroom.

When I opened the door, my daughter was standing right there. Startled the heck out of me. Turns out she only knocked once.

MightySchoop
10-18-2012, 08:54 AM
Sometimes I do a "Shave and a haircut" knock.

Does that count as seven? I think it should be its own category.

only seven if you include the "two bits."
It's five if you are tempting a cartoon character to complete it.

tometom
10-18-2012, 09:21 AM
3, pretty much always. sometimes I'll get creative and try to knock some familiar pattern, but only when visiting people that I know and they might recognize it.

Klaymen
10-18-2012, 09:25 AM
Same number as it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop

Loner
10-18-2012, 09:34 AM
Considering the only doors I knock on are my children's bedroom doors, or the bathroom door, it's pretty much always the Sheldon knock. Anywhere else I go (family or friend), I belong there, and I walk right in because I'm expected.

Unless they've specifically told you you can, it's rude to just walk right in on an adult. You may be expected, but something unexpected may have happened or be happening.

OddSox
10-18-2012, 09:42 AM
5 knocks for an exterior door to someone's house

3 for everything else

Feif
10-18-2012, 09:45 AM
I don't think about it. Probably 3-4 knocks usually.
If I'm visiting my parents and I know my young siblings will be the ones who will likely open the door, I'll just knock continuously until the door is opened.

FormLetter
10-18-2012, 09:47 AM
Usually three if I'm knocking on a closed door. Two if I'm knocking on an open door to alert someone who's probably in there that I'm entering. Then I let go of my abdomen so the mutated killer bees' nest can explode and engulf them in a storm of painful stings resulting in their death.

celalta
10-18-2012, 09:50 AM
Unless they've specifically told you you can, it's rude to just walk right in on an adult. You may be expected, but something unexpected may have happened or be happening.

When I say I'm expected, I mean, I've already talked to the person, and they know when I'm going to arrive, and I've let them know if I'm running late or early. Considering my circle around where I live consists of my mom and grandparents, and two close friends who walk in to my home as well, I think I'm safe. When I go to my hometown, again, I'm walking in to my dad's or grandparents or my two best friends, same thing. I'm never unannounced, but I'm not knocking on doors, and I'm not expected to.

I was raised this way. I wouldn't walk into someone's home without being told I could, but where I go, I can, and should. :)

Browncoat
10-18-2012, 09:56 AM
If it's an interior door, I find I often do the knock from The Sting. "What? I don't remember a secret knock from The Sting!" you say. No, it wasn't secret. It's just the way Johnny knocked. 2 knocks, pause, 1 knock.

PeppermintPatty
10-18-2012, 10:10 AM
When I say I'm expected, I mean, I've already talked to the person, and they know when I'm going to arrive, and I've let them know if I'm running late or early. Considering my circle around where I live consists of my mom and grandparents, and two close friends who walk in to my home as well, I think I'm safe. When I go to my hometown, again, I'm walking in to my dad's or grandparents or my two best friends, same thing. I'm never unannounced, but I'm not knocking on doors, and I'm not expected to.

I was raised this way. I wouldn't walk into someone's home without being told I could, but where I go, I can, and should. :)

When I'm expected, I knock twice and then open the door. When I want someone to open the door for me, it's more variable. I sometime do the shave & haircut thing on hotel doors, rarely anywhere else.

dlwktb
10-18-2012, 11:32 AM
I do the "shave and a haircut" and if they don't do the "two bits" before opening, I come in guns-a-blazing.

Browncoat
10-18-2012, 11:45 AM
A friend of mine, when he was in AF Boot Camp, tells me that he was to report to the drill instructor's office. In his, uh, 'welcome' manual, it told him how to do this. The directions included stand outside the door, knock, and announce yourself thus: "Sergeant Baggadonuts, Airman Basic Snotrunner requests permission to enter!"

Of course, everything is an excuse to have the DI yell at you. His mistake was thinking, "knock" meant "knock like normal people". As the DI calmly explained, it says "knock" not "knocks".

He was only to rap once.

MayanActuary
10-18-2012, 11:50 AM
Did the "shave and a haircut" knock in mexico once... turns out it is highly offensive there!

Loner
10-18-2012, 11:54 AM

I pity your family and their dreary sex lives. ;)

yoyo
10-18-2012, 12:01 PM
knock three times on the ceiling if you want me

celalta
10-18-2012, 01:28 PM

I pity your family and their dreary sex lives. ;)
:iatp:

Agadefe
10-18-2012, 01:34 PM
I can't believe how many of you knock an odd number of times. I have enough OCD that I knock an even amount of time always.

Typically I go:
knock knock...knock knock knock knock...KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK..KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK. Then I either leave, ring the doorbell, or sit outside the door crying until my mom finally feels bad for me and lets me in.

Aw Yeah
10-18-2012, 01:35 PM
i have not yet read any of this

are we talking doors or boots here

Aw Yeah
10-18-2012, 01:35 PM
excuse me, just to clarify..

by "boots" above i clearly meant "da boots"

FormLetter
10-18-2012, 01:40 PM
I can't believe how many of you knock an odd number of times. I have enough OCD that I knock an even amount of time always.

Typically I go:
knock knock...knock knock knock knock...KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK..KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK. Then I either leave, ring the doorbell, or sit outside the door crying until my mom finally feels bad for me and lets me in.

I make up for by always only taking an even number of steps on my approach to the door. I can shorten or lengthen my stride as I estimate the shrinking distance as I approach.

Agadefe
10-18-2012, 01:43 PM
I make up for by always only taking an even number of steps on my approach to the door. I can shorten or lengthen my stride as I estimate the shrinking distance as I approach.

I do this, too.

Anthemyst
10-18-2012, 01:43 PM

Typically I go:

Huh. I'm OCD enough to be bothered by odd-numbered lots of things, like taking steps or eating cheerios, but knocks aren't one of them. Three just 'feels' like the exact right number.

ElDucky
10-18-2012, 01:48 PM
Three just 'feels' like the exact right number.

QFT

Egghead
10-18-2012, 01:49 PM
Oh, crap. I thought I already had a fair number of OCD tendencies. Now you guys have given me two more to think about...

Keef
10-18-2012, 01:49 PM
There are four knocks!

Len Myers
10-18-2012, 01:50 PM
It actually depends.

Actuary321
10-18-2012, 02:34 PM
Considering the only doors I knock on are my children's bedroom doors, or the bathroom door, it's pretty much always the Sheldon knock. Anywhere else I go (family or friend), I belong there, and I walk right in because I'm expected.I rarely walk in with out knocking anywhere. Even at places like you say (and there are very few, only some siblings), I will knock on the door as I open it and announce myself.

Also this is one of the reasons we keep our doors locked all the time. Even our kids who live with us have to knock to get in the house, when they don't have their key, which seems like always.

ETA: The door from the garage to the kitchen is not locked but the outside door to the garage is locked and the garage door is down. The kids know the code to open the garage door, so if nobody answers the front door, they can still get in the house if the power isn't off.

glassjaws the musical
10-18-2012, 02:36 PM
Knock three times on the ceiling if you want me
Twice on the pipe if the answer is no

Think about it.

yoyo
10-18-2012, 02:51 PM
Knock three times on the ceiling if you want me
Twice on the pipe if the answer is no

Think about it.with your mind

ShakeNBakes
10-18-2012, 03:21 PM
excuse me, just to clarify..

by "boots" above i clearly meant "das boot"
IFYP

http://media.screened.com/uploads/0/770/256094-vlcsnap_2010_07_01_21h51m22s59.png

Descalzo
10-19-2012, 12:14 PM
2 sets of 2, then I snap my fingers.