PDA

View Full Version : what is the best bed?

Gonzo
12-18-2012, 06:35 PM
i'm in the market for a new bed, but i don't know anything about them. sealy? serta? that memory foam? any advice?

WhyAndHow
12-18-2012, 06:39 PM
By bed you mean mattress?

Colonel Smoothie
12-18-2012, 06:40 PM
have Formletter make you one, imo

Vorian Atreides
12-18-2012, 06:41 PM
Get the one with Tricia Helfer on it. :judge:

WhyAndHow
12-18-2012, 06:41 PM
Memory foam is awesome for sleeping on, but not so awesome for other bed activities.

secondlife
12-18-2012, 06:46 PM
Buy the bed frame from Ikea. That way, you may not need the box-spring, just the mattress only.

WhyAndHow
12-18-2012, 06:51 PM
Buy the bed frame from Ikea. That way, you may not need the box-spring, just the mattress only.

You don't need to shop at ikea to have this. Also, I got the box spring free last time I bought a mattress.

secondlife
12-18-2012, 06:57 PM
I am a cheapo, I like Ikea beds. Similar style real beds (not the head board, foot board plus 2 steel bars) in any other place would cost lot more (>50%). A few mattress places in town give the box spring free when you buy the mattress.

asdfasdf
12-18-2012, 07:25 PM
Don't pay full price, there's always a massive sale somewhere, markup seems to be like 1000%, cockroaches....

George L. Costanza
12-18-2012, 07:26 PM
We can all agree that nothing is free, right?

Baby, ByeBye
12-18-2012, 07:43 PM
Wtf is the purpose of a boxspring. And second Ikea

asdfasdf
12-18-2012, 07:47 PM
The boxspring spreads the weight of the mattress / it's occupants evenly over the frame. Even the Ikea beds have an equivlant with their curved bendy wood things.

Gonzo
12-18-2012, 07:53 PM
Memory foam is awesome for sleeping on, but not so awesome for other bed activities.

i've heard this. good sleep far outweighs everything else.

Gonzo
12-18-2012, 07:54 PM
what is ikea? is it a brand? i thought it was a store.

snoo
12-18-2012, 07:57 PM

:popcorn:

Gonzo
12-18-2012, 08:01 PM

do they sell that at ikea? :love:

Gonzo
12-18-2012, 08:05 PM
is memory foam expensive? i heard a memory foam bed costs like $10K. is that right?

oedipus rex
12-18-2012, 08:19 PM
there's this thing called online shopping...

Len Myers
12-18-2012, 08:21 PM
Beautyrest Pillowtop. 'Nuff said.

ElDucky
12-18-2012, 08:46 PM
is memory foam expensive? i heard a memory foam bed costs like $10K. is that right?

A memory foam toper is cheap. I have one on top of a regular foam matress that was also cheap. Back pain stopped immediately once I started using that.

Baby, ByeBye
12-18-2012, 08:48 PM
A memory foam toper is cheap. I have one on top of a regular foam matress that was also cheap. Back pain stopped immediately once I started using that.

God exists. Q.E.D.

Annie Howe
12-18-2012, 08:54 PM

If they try to sell it expensive, tell them you had seen one for 1K at competitor's store. You lay on this one and you don't think this one feels better than that one. Attempt to walk out of the store. It worked for me (I didn't mean to, all of what I said was true.) They came down from 4K to 1K.

Annie Howe
12-18-2012, 08:54 PM
I like memory foam, but some people prefer hard beds.

Gonzo
12-18-2012, 08:57 PM
If they try to sell it expensive, tell them you had seen one for 1K at competitor's store. You lay on this one and you don't think this one feels better than that one. Attempt to walk out of the store. It worked for me (I didn't mean to, all of what I said was true.) They came down from 4K to 1K.

good advice :tup:

Vorian Atreides
12-18-2012, 09:00 PM
Might also do this toward the end of the month as well . . . since the sales people are likely to be vying for their sales quotas/bonus.

Egghead
12-18-2012, 10:23 PM
Find a mattress you like in a store, then go to www.us-mattress.com for a good price. We got out last mattress from them, and we were extremely impressed. Delivery was at least as good as the local stores would have provided.

Don't skip the box springs. Very cheap on the website above, so no reason not to buy it at the same time.

We got a Simmons Beautyrest. It's one of the brands that does a good job of not transferring motion from one part of the bed to another. So when my wife gets up in the middle of the night, it doesn't wake me -- that was a major selling point to me.

Figure out what kind of mattress you like. Pillowtops are not for everybody. Neither are very firm beds. Try different hotel chains and see which are you favorite beds, then buy a mattress similar to the one you like best.

Bicycle Repair Man
12-18-2012, 10:32 PM
The cheap memory foam is noticeably inferior to the Tempurpedic, at least to me it is. I can feel a huge difference.

Ron Weasley
12-18-2012, 10:37 PM
In some towns, you can find a store that advertises that their mattresses locally. Sometimes they are a good deal on a well made product.

abwoc
12-18-2012, 10:48 PM

King-sized Tempurpedic for $4k.

Nine86
12-18-2012, 11:02 PM
I like memory foam, but some people prefer hard beds.

Tempurpedic has varying levels of firmness .. The one we got is pretty firm (I like hard beds).

Ditto, except ours was on sale. Looooove it!

Browncoat
12-18-2012, 11:42 PM
Do not get a sleep number bed.

WhyAndHow
12-19-2012, 08:26 AM
softer mattresses are better for your back.

Egghead
12-19-2012, 08:50 AM

Not for everybody.

A2TRM
12-19-2012, 09:07 AM

We bought a King-sized Tempurpdeic at about the same price-point. After delivery, taxes, and everything it came to about $3,700. They didn't move too much on price for the mattress, but we managed to get free delivery, free box-spring, and 2 free Tempurpedic pillows that retail for about $100 each.

Tempurpedic has varying levels of firmness .. The one we got is pretty firm (I like hard beds).

Ditto, except ours was on sale. Looooove it!

The range of Tempurpedic frimness levels also corresponds to a range of prices.

We chose one of the "softer" (i.e., less firm) models. :link: (http://www.tempurpedic.com/TEMPUR-Contour-Collection/Tempur-Pedic-TEMPUR-Allura.asp)

My wife has recurring back pain, and this bed made a TON of difference. I never thought I had any problems sleeping, but I still noticed an improvement in sleep (fall asleep quicker, stay asleep without re-arranging during the night). The bed also cuts down on movement transfer associated with the dogs moving around throughout the night.

:iatp: Pieces of ****. These things are really just glorified air-mattresses. That's why they're always offering 40%-50% off.

llcooljabe
12-19-2012, 09:10 AM

I seem to recall previous discussions of mattresses on this forum had some very enthusiastic endorsements of these?

plasticdog30
12-19-2012, 09:14 AM
Buy your mattress at Costco. They have a very liberal return policy; as far as I can tell, you could return your bed after a year if you decide you just don't like it. Just keep all of the original packing material. They have some pretty good memory foam mattresses but not a Tempurpedic. Tempurpedic has pretty tight cost controls over their products, so you will find the same price on the mattress regardless of where you buy it. The only difference will be in service from the company and maybe a few extras (like free delivery or free pillows).

crabber
12-19-2012, 09:15 AM
Beautyrest Pillowtop. 'Nuff said.

:iatp:

asdfasdf
12-19-2012, 09:17 AM
Buy your mattress at Costco. They have a very liberal return policy; as far as I can tell, you could return your bed after a year if you decide you just don't like it. Just keep all of the original packing material. They have some pretty good memory foam mattresses but not a Tempurpedic. Tempurpedic has pretty tight cost controls over their products, so you will find the same price on the mattress regardless of where you buy it. The only difference will be in service from the company and maybe a few extras (like free delivery or free pillows).

Yeah, but, who wants to buy a bed that someone else has slept in for a year?

LifeAct
12-19-2012, 09:21 AM
Find a mattress you like in a store, then go to www.us-mattress.com for a good price. We got out last mattress from them, and we were extremely impressed. Delivery was at least as good as the local stores would have provided.
Don't skip the box springs. Very cheap on the website above, so no reason not to buy it at the same time.

We got a Simmons Beautyrest. It's one of the brands that does a good job of not transferring motion from one part of the bed to another. So when my wife gets up in the middle of the night, it doesn't wake me -- that was a major selling point to me.

Figure out what kind of mattress you like. Pillowtops are not for everybody. Neither are very firm beds. Try different hotel chains and see which are you favorite beds, then buy a mattress similar to the one you like best.

I was told that store will sell different matresses even if the brand / style is exactly the same. I recall that Consumer Reports doesn't do write-ups on matresses because the stores aren't selling the same matress that they would be reviewing. This could cause issues with your strategy.

yoyo
12-19-2012, 09:24 AM
sleep number bed by select comfort

mrs yoyo and i have 3, BIL has 1, sister has 1, inlaws have 1. best money i ever spent

yoyo
12-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Do not get a sleep number bed.rong!

crabber
12-19-2012, 09:26 AM
Return policies are highly dependent on state law. Where I live, once a mattress has entered a customer's home it cannot be resold as new, which means the store has no use for it. I bought a locally manufactured mattress a couple of years ago and was unhappy with the comfort and attempted to take advantage of the store's comfort guarantee. I had to dispose of the old mattress myself and bring proof of disposal to the store before they would send me a new mattress.

yoyo
12-19-2012, 09:27 AM
original mattress factory makes very good traditional beds

MAX.
12-19-2012, 09:31 AM
I had a Tempurpedic once and while it was incredibly comfortable, it retained body heat and I ended up hot and sweaty the entire night (even when I turned the heat down to 50). I've heard they've done something about that since I had mine but I've never confirmed it.

OP: Good timing on this thread. I woke up this morning with my back hurting and thought, its time for a new mattress.

Vorian Atreides
12-19-2012, 09:31 AM
What makes you think that it was just one person for just one year?

Egghead
12-19-2012, 09:44 AM
I was told that store will sell different matresses even if the brand / style is exactly the same. I recall that Consumer Reports doesn't do write-ups on matresses because the stores aren't selling the same matress that they would be reviewing. This could cause issues with your strategy.

I believe you're slightly confusing the issues.

Many companies will sell the SAME product with slightly different names so that you can't get a price match between two stores. That's not the case here. We bought the very same mattress online that we bought in stores. Here's a direct quote from Consumer Reports:

Manufacturers usually modify innerspring mattresses for different sellers, changing the color, padding, quilting pattern, and so forth. Then each seller can call the mattress by a different name. Consumers are the losers. Because such mattresses are at least somewhat different, and the names vary, you can't comparison-shop.

Also, Consumer Reports has said in the past that they don't review mattresses because personal preference plays a much stronger role in what is "best" for any given person. Therefore, they focus on what features to look for in a mattress, and in a retailer.

As for buying online, they said:

Buy at a store, not online or over the phone, unless you've already tried the identical mattress in a store.

So again, buying online is fine, as long as you're sure it's the same mattress you've tried out in a store. A difference in color or quilting pattern isn't going to make a difference in comfort. But many times you can find the same mattress with the same name and all the same features online that you find in stores. Just depends on the manufacturer and the particular model you're looking at.

Plus, more and more online places have impressive comfort guarantees. The company I mentioned before (us-mattress.com) offers a full 100 days to try out a mattress, and then charges only $99 to switch (plus, of course, any difference in price if trading up.) I wish I had talked my wife into taking advantage of this feature, because our mattress is a bit too firm. We could have gone to the next softer model and probably been perfect.

WhyAndHow
12-19-2012, 09:48 AM
Not for everybody.

almost everybody. unless there's something wrong with your spine.

A2TRM
12-19-2012, 09:54 AM
I had a Tempurpedic once and while it was incredibly comfortable, it retained body heat and I ended up hot and sweaty the entire night (even when I turned the heat down to 50). I've heard they've done something about that since I had mine but I've never confirmed it.

OP: Good timing on this thread. I woke up this morning with my back hurting and thought, its time for a new mattress.

This was my biggest concern about getting a Tempurpedic. Apparently they redesigned sometime around 2009 and drastically improved the heat issue. We bought ours in 2012 and haven't really had any problems.

I've only noticed the heat issue a few times - always after extended sessions of extracurricular activities

MAX.
12-19-2012, 09:55 AM
Not for everybody.
almost everybody. unless there's something wrong with your spine.

There must be something wrong with my spine then. Softer mattresses make my lower back hurt.

WhyAndHow
12-19-2012, 09:57 AM
There must be something wrong with my spine then. Softer mattresses make my lower back hurt.

do you sleep on your stomach?

yoyo
12-19-2012, 09:57 AM
There must be something wrong with my spine then. Softer mattresses make my lower back hurt.i liked a firm mattress when we had a traditional model, but it still wasn't perfect for my back. the weight distribution is so much better with a select comfort bed that i went much softer. also, no heat issues.

WhyAndHow
12-19-2012, 10:00 AM
hard mattresses don't allow your back to form a natural lumbar curve so your spine is in flexion all night. That is,if you sleep on your back, which is better for your neck since if you sleep on your stomach you have to turn your head to the side all night.

Egghead
12-19-2012, 10:03 AM

Shouldn't be a concern with a reputable company. Again, from us-mattress.com:

it is sent to recycler where all the foam and cotton will be stripped and used as commercial blown insulation, and the steel coil unit will be sold as 100% recyclable steel scrap. It is against the law to re-sell a used bed

MAX.
12-19-2012, 10:09 AM
do you sleep on your stomach?

Mostly on my side. I like a really firm mattress with a featherbed on top of it.

Nine86
12-19-2012, 10:09 AM

Ditto.

IMP
12-19-2012, 10:28 AM
best mattresses i've had were:

pillow top from original mattress factory
memory foam with a memory foam topper (topper was from my mom before i got the mattress)

glassjaws
12-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Go to a store, lay on beds. Pick the one that's the best.

Androzani Major
12-19-2012, 12:05 PM
The cheap memory foam is noticeably inferior to the Tempurpedic, at least to me it is. I can feel a huge difference.
Not in my experience.

We got our mattress from HERE (http://www.bedinabox.com/). LOTS of information about their mattresses, comparisons to Tempurpedic, debunking myths, etc. Their FAQ section is great.

Worked awesomesauce. I haven't noticed much difference with the non-sleep activities; maybe that's due to frequency issues. :oops:

I can tell you that my kids don't find bouncing on mem-foam to be as fun as on traditional. As far as we're concerned, that's a good thing.

yoyo
12-19-2012, 12:14 PM
Go to a store, lay on beds. Pick the one that's the best.a quick test lie down <> full night

Aw Yeah
12-19-2012, 12:25 PM

who that is

Vorian Atreides
12-19-2012, 01:40 PM
who that is
In general . . . it's the actress/model that snoo uses for her avatar.

Number 6 from (the new) Battlestar Galactica.

Gonzo
12-19-2012, 04:14 PM
sounds like tempurpedic memory foam is the winner.

IMP
12-19-2012, 04:18 PM
my little bro swears by tempurpedic

Androzani Major
12-19-2012, 04:40 PM
sounds like tempurpedic memory foam is the winner.
...of your money.
my little bro swears by tempurpedic
I would swear too if I had to pay so much more than what I actually paid for a super-awesome mattress. We love our Bed In a Box mattress. Unbiased sources rate BiaB as on par (http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/mattress-reviews-bedinab.html#1) with Tempurpedic at less than half the price.

Check out the reviews @ Epinions as well.

Here's (http://www.thehassman.com/tag/tempur-pedic/) another.

Listen, we are actuarial types. We are supposed to be cheapskates. Why would you consider paying $3,000 for something when you can get something just as good or better for $700?

ETA: 54 more (http://www.viewpoints.com/BedInABox-com-PacBamboo-Memory-Foam-Mattress-reviews) 5-star reviews.