PDA

View Full Version : Investment Strategy EOM Exercise

shadowless_87
01-13-2013, 03:08 PM
No one working on this module???

DLQ
01-14-2013, 01:52 PM
I'm just about to start the end-of-module exercise. Where are you?

daTriniCyclingActuarian
01-16-2013, 05:26 AM
I'll be signing up for the module today. So it'll be a few weeks (hopefully not longer?) before I get to the EOM exercise.

shadowless_87
01-18-2013, 11:42 AM
I am looking to knock this one out this weekend...
Just went through the readings...

shadowless_87
01-18-2013, 06:54 PM
Hey,

I am working through the last list which says that the memo should cover the following:

A description of the various liability risks in each line of business described in the file soa_fsa_is_eom_lifeco_report.pdf, excluding separate account business.
• A description of the various asset risks in each asset class on LifeCo’s balance sheet shown in the file soa_fsa_is_eom_lifeco_report.pdf, excluding assets backing separate account lines of business.
• A description of the ALM risks in each line of business based on the assets and liabilities in each line of business’ balance sheet in the file soa_fsa_is_eom_lifeco_report.pdf, excluding separate account lines of business.

Any idea what they mean by ALM risks?

Liquidity, guarantee risk, embedded option risks, duration risk, reinvestment risk, and interest rate risk are what come to mind for the liability risks.

Thoughts???

poppypoppy
02-19-2013, 02:31 PM
i am working on this module

Stickythump
09-06-2013, 10:25 PM
So... this is my last requirement prior to the FAC if I submit by Monday, and I'll likely only get one shot at this EOM anyway due to the Nov 15 submission cutoff before getting forced into the new module. Anyone else cutting it razor thin with me?

daTriniCyclingActuarian
09-09-2013, 08:42 AM
No, but I submitted mine on July 27 and was graded on Aug 30, so if it's just a 30 day turn around, you may have a second shot at it, but hopefully get graded as MMR and not have to deal with a second attempt at it.

Crespie6
09-24-2013, 10:26 AM
i'm doing this now as well - let me know if your still looking at it Stickythump (or anyone else)

Stickythump
09-24-2013, 10:58 AM
I submitted 9/9, just waiting on grading now.

Crespie6
09-25-2013, 02:31 PM
how long did it take you? i started reading through the module sections, but it keeps referring to the required reading books, which i do not have. would you say these are essential? thanks

Stickythump
10-03-2013, 10:47 AM
I apologize, havent been checking this board much since submitting. I wrote this module after taking APM, and the required textbook readings had a ton of overlap from the exam. That and the fact that I was trying to finish by a hard deadline led me to finish in a couple of weeks. But the jury is still out on grading so I cant say or not if I'd recommend it.

Crespie6
10-26-2013, 01:48 PM
I apologize, havent been checking this board much since submitting. I wrote this module after taking APM, and the required textbook readings had a ton of overlap from the exam. That and the fact that I was trying to finish by a hard deadline led me to finish in a couple of weeks. But the jury is still out on grading so I cant say or not if I'd recommend it.

no problem - i've not been checking on here much either.

congrats by the way, i noticed you MMRs. nice! can you tell me what benefit-sensitive liabilities are? they make up a lot (80%) of the GIC (in the institutional pensions section), but the only commentary on it is that they mature in the next 5 years. i can see that being a liquidity risk, but the fact they are benefit-sensitive, is that saying that the value could change depending on the defined benefits in the plan? therefore the company could be exposed to some other risk?

any help from anyone appreciated