PDA

View Full Version : resumes thru internet

johnny
02-27-2002, 05:45 PM
hi,
do employers always check their resume database for job postings? i submitted mine to several companies and i just got email responses that they received my resume - no invitation for interviews. my friend got several interviews with the same companies that i applied to thru the net, but he got the interviews thru a headhunter/recruiter. and i don't think he has better qualifications than me. please advise. thanks.

L. Mo
02-27-2002, 05:55 PM
hmm. Did you send it to a specific person? If so, it wouldn't hurt to follow up with a phone call. A little initiative...

Troy McClure
02-27-2002, 06:01 PM
The problem is, he is being proactive by calling somebody at the company - well, OK, he is letting the recruiter call. And, people are lazy, too lazy sometimes to look in a database for a resume, especially when they have a recruiter calling them to say he has a great catch for them. And, often, HR will not file it in the right area, for example, you might get a college student with a math degree looking for an actuarial job, and HR says "math skills, maybe I will forward this to the technology department, I think they need more programmers".

Call an actuary at the company, or get a recruiter, either is fine. There are pros and cons to having a recruiter do it, so weigh that for yourself.

Dr T Non-Fan
02-27-2002, 08:28 PM
I agree. Never go through HR. A company that insists on it probably has little respect for the profession.

Anonymous
02-27-2002, 08:59 PM
I have a friend in our HR department. She told me that if you send them resumes, you should call once in a while and check.They will then resurrect your resume from their file. Otherwise, they'd keep it there for 6 months and toss them after.

ActuariaLug
02-27-2002, 11:00 PM
Recently, I tried e-mailing some firms and phone-calling some others.
E-mail: 0 for 4
Phone: 3 for 5

Anonymous
02-28-2002, 09:31 AM
On 2002-02-27 23:00, Actuarial Student For Life wrote:
Recently, I tried e-mailing some firms and phone-calling some others.
E-mail: 0 for 4
Phone: 3 for 5

my results so far:
E- mail: 2 for many
Phone: 0 for 3

Anonymous
02-28-2002, 10:52 PM
Did you get the job?