PDA

View Full Version : Cast out the gamblers

Shaft
04-16-2004, 07:50 AM
into a new thread - there is too much poker chat not to have its own dedictaed section.

Also can we have a separate chess thread? I will start with "Position of the week"....

Expunge
04-16-2004, 10:22 AM
This is the poker section, you chess guys are just in the wrong place.

Cynical Realist
04-16-2004, 12:10 PM
Expunge is right. Chess threads should be in the SPORT section not the GAME section. A game involes an element of luck, like the draw of a card, or the roll of a dice. That's not to say that poker does not also encompass a skill level, but it certainly includes an element of chance embedded in the game.

Sports involve a direct competition between two or more combatants where direct interaction between the competitors involve both an offensive and defensive component. Certainly that is an apt description of most team sports, as well as Chess, tennis and other one on one sports.

A 3rd category would be Athletic Contests. This would being doing something of a physical nature in an athletic setting and comparing results against some scoring standard. This would encompass golf, bowling, archery, and many track and field events.

A track event like the mile or marathon, may border on sport, since there is strategy in how you run the race vs. your competitors, but ultimately the object is to run the best time you can. For instance the 100m dash, involves no strategy, just get out of the blocks, and get to the finish line, so it really is an Athletic Contest, not a sport.

Jonas Grumby
04-16-2004, 12:57 PM
Sports involve a direct competition between two or more combatants where direct interaction between the competitors involve both an offensive and defensive component. Certainly that is an apt description of most team sports, as well as Chess, tennis and other one on one sports.

I don't agree with your definition of sports, because then it would include all manner of 'games' like backgammon and bridge, which also have offensive and defensive components. Note, however, that I still think chess should be in the Olympics - they're called the Olympic GAMES, after all.

As for separate threads, I'd go for separate poker and chess threads, but I admit that as a cigar-and-beer weekend poker player I've found the poker threads to be fascinating reading - the intricacies of poker look more and more like chess to me every time I read one.

11pecans
04-16-2004, 01:06 PM
no, i think he was clear that backgammon - dice and bridge - cards are games like poker since so much of outcome is determined by random elements beyond participant control

however - the 100 yd/m dash does involve sport - you do try to psych out your opponent and there could be some strategy involved in the qualifying races to get to the final - I don't think you want to go all out if you don't have to before the final run

Is a world record more often set in a close race or not? The effort in beating your opponent I would think is not insiginificant.