PDA

View Full Version : PD - Time Off

josie
03-05-2002, 10:39 AM
My company is giving time off to attend any seminars to fulfill PD requirements. I do not not get any additional time off. I am finding that the program summaries are very time consuming to write. Plus, if I use tapes from old SOA meetings, I do not get any time off to listen to the tapes.

Is this the norm for PD credits or are any companies treating this differently?

PinkFloydActuary
03-05-2002, 11:08 AM
Those are the same policies that my company has.

Me
03-05-2002, 11:12 AM
My company gives 150 hours of study time to do the 50 PD credits. If you're going to seminars, you can use the study time instead of taking days off.

Ranger
03-05-2002, 11:45 AM
That's the same policy we're using. Is it equal and fair? arguments can be made for both sides.

My suggestion, rather than getting some company study time and adding a bunch more of your own time studying for the 40% chance of an exam pass, enjoy the fact that merely listening to a tape (on your own time) gives you automatic PD units. It's a very small sacrifice for a much easier FSA requirement.

Relax, you're on the downslope. Go to meetings, listen to the tapes (on your time), write-up your report (also on your time). It's all over but the celebrating.

Fletch
03-05-2002, 12:39 PM
My company offered the time informally (ie no set number of hours) to listen to tapes and write summaries, but of course I was too busy to take work time. I found I was able to watch football and listen to tapes at the same time (especially the Q&A portions :cool:).

Me / Ranger - 150 hours is awfully generous - do you even need to spend any of your own time?

Me
03-05-2002, 12:50 PM
I think Ranger meant the same as josie and PFA, not me.

I get the impression the 150 hours is really meant to help with the project. (Also the people setting the policy may not have had the best grasp on the time needed.)

josie
03-05-2002, 12:59 PM
Believe me, I'm not complaining. (I would much rather do this than have to sit for another exam). I'm just trying to find out what other companies are doing. I am more concerned that we need some kind of stated policy in terms of total number of hours off (for seminars, project, tapes, etc.). For instance, it is much cheaper from the perspective of the company for students to listen to tapes rather than attend seminars. But our policy actually encourages students to go to a seminar since you get extra time off (plus a free nice trip).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: josie on 2002-03-05 13:00 ]</font>

Brad Spirrison
03-08-2002, 01:20 PM
josie,
I'm getting tapes to listen to as well. Did you submit your PD plan already, or are you going to wait until after you finish with the tapes?

josie
03-11-2002, 08:45 AM
I've already submitted my plan. I took a non-SOA approved seminar at the end of January so I submitted my plan in the middle of January.

mayreeh
03-12-2002, 05:44 PM
Question: To those who are done with their PD or are working hard on it --- The model plan for individual valuation has 10-15 credits on ASOPs.

I've never seen a seminar that had anything to do with ASOPs. What do you use for that? Am I just going to the wrong meetings? (I generally do val act.)

Minerva
03-21-2002, 03:38 PM
My company allows one extra meeting above normal attendance if necessary for PD. Everything else (including project time) is on your own.