PDA

View Full Version : Part 5 - Webb Operations Reading

archie1112
05-03-2004, 09:29 AM
I'm using All-10, and noticed that there are no practice problems for Chapters 5,6,14,15 of the Webb. Is this because these chapters are new, or not testable? It seems like the bulk of the testable Webb stuff lies in the early chapters (types of ownership, alternative markets, etc.) but just wondering if this stuff is eligible / has been eligible in the past and not tested.

Thanks in advance-

J.T.
05-03-2004, 10:41 AM
I believe it's because it's new. There wasn't a past reading which covered the same material.

Super Silver Haze
05-03-2004, 05:44 PM
I'm pretty sure they're all eligible, though I don't know exactly when they were added to the syllabus.

CSM has past exam questions for all those chapters. Very few for chapters 5 and 14, though (just three questions each), and the ones from chapter 5 are taken from exams from the 1980s.

For some recent examples, take a look at questions 20b and 22 from the 2002 exam 5 and question 13 from the 2000 exam 5.

Hope that helped.

-
05-03-2004, 07:46 PM
In the Webb Chapter 1 section, the All 10 manual has a question from the 2000 exam, #37, asking about the four major objectives of an insurance company and some of the external constraints. There are a few other sample questions that sound similar, with a couple of lists for external and internal constraints.

I don't see this material in their discussion of chapter, though. There is a discussion of constraints on the UW policy, but not on the company itself. I also don't see any mention of it in the CSM manual. I am wondering if this material has been excluded in the version of Webb that came out this year, and All 10 accidentally left the questions in their manual.

ed999
05-03-2004, 08:12 PM
I think it's safe to skip those questions which asks lists that no longer appears in the NEW insurance Operations text. Some of the objective might be IMPLIED but i don't think it will be asked. The CAS should realize that there's just so much a regular human being can memorize (and don't forget that we work 8 or more hours a day!!)

They love to ask about lists and important objectives/functions of certain things, or shortcomings...

If anyone thinks I am wrong, please feel free to correct me.

All in all, i think some of the things tested does not at all promote learning. We are simply required to regurgitate. It's a test of memorization, to some extent. If we ever need to use it at work, what do we do? WE OPEN UP THE BOOK to look things up!