PDA

View Full Version : PD

Soccerboy
05-10-2004, 11:33 PM
I just found out that I can attend meetings and seminars for PD for the remaining 20 credits I need to ASA. Does anyone know if you have to use the meetings shown on the SOA website as your meetings or you can use some high level meetings at your company so long as SOA approves, has anyone gone this route?

JTBenson
05-10-2004, 11:54 PM
You can have up to 15 Units that are NOT SOA Approved. So you would have to do at least 5 that are. However, most meetings have at least 10 units.

http://www.soa.org/ccm/content/exams-education-jobs/candidate-and-exam-information/approve/

Soccerboy
05-11-2004, 09:56 AM
Thank you!!!

So, if I unrecognized credits, how does the SOA determine the number of credits to give to make up 15

Swiper
05-11-2004, 10:29 AM
usually it is 1 credit per hour of meeting/seminar

Soccerboy
05-11-2004, 11:14 PM
Do I have to fill a form to declare my PD credits, if so where on the SOA website does it mention this?, where is this form located

Thanks

semper augustus
05-12-2004, 08:14 AM
Go the below link on the SOA website and there's a bunch of stuff about the PD process. Basically, you need to submit a PD plan with the SOA. You will need to also come up with an "advisor" to sign off on your plan. The whole process is not difficult, but it's not that simple either.

http://www.soa.org/ccm/content/?categoryID=833077

Soccerboy
05-12-2004, 12:07 PM
One thing im still not clear about and the SOA is not giving me concise answers is that , I have 30 credits from 2000 rolover, Im told I can attend meetings/seminars worth 20 credits, at least 5 of which must come from SOA aproved seminars , in order to qualify for ASA. The question is do I still need to submit a project relevant to my practice in addition..no one is giving me a concrete answer for this. anyone care to share their experiences, those who used PD that is

scooter
05-12-2004, 12:53 PM
It is my understanding that the PD requirements to meet ASA are the same as the PD requirements to meet FSA. In otherwords, if you have atleast 15 credits from pre-2000 exams, you don't need to do the project. No more than 15 credits can come from non-SOA approved sources.

In your situation you don't need to do a project, just complete 20 PD credits of which atleast 5 are SOA approved. I base this on the assumption that the 30 credits you have are from pre-2000 exams.

Soccerboy
05-12-2004, 01:33 PM
Scooter,

Oh boy, now I confused, I just spoke with the SOA and they claim that I need to do the project. I do have 30 credits from 2000, and initially the ombudsperson told me like you said, that I need 20 credits to complete my PD. I just feel Im getting a lot of responses here. Is it documented on the SOA website regarding the 15 credits needed to be exempt from the project..not that I can't do the project, its just that I'd rather not do it :D :D

scooter
05-12-2004, 01:38 PM
Here is information on the new ASA requirements:
http://www.soa.org/ccm/content/exams-education-jobs/candidate-and-exam-information/asachanges_faqs/

I stand corrected. I believe this question addresses your concern:

Question: I have more than 25 units of PD from the 2000 conversion. Do I lose credit for any units over the 25 units necessary to meet the examination-validated requirement of the ASA PD component?

Answer: Conversion credits allocated to PD are first applied to satisfying the examination-validated requirement. A candidate must have a minimum of 25 units to satisfy this requirement. If the candidate has a sufficient number of additional conversion PD credits, then 15 units are applied to the project component, and any remaining to the required seminar/meeting units (10). If the candidate does not have sufficient conversion credits to meet a given requirement in PD, then the credits are applied to the other requirements in the same order (e.g., a candidate with 20 units of conversion credit does not satisfy the exam-validated requirement, but would satisfy the project (15 units) and 5 of the seminar and meeting units. To use PD to satisfy ASA requirements, this candidate would be required to complete a substantial exam-validated option for 25 units, as part of the candidate’s overall 50 unit PD plan.)

I think since you have 30 credits it first goes against the 25 exam validated requirement with the remaining 5 toward the seminar and meeting unit.

It sounds like if you only had 20, it would be applied toward the project, with the remaining 5 going toward the seminar and meeting category and you would then need 25 exam validated credits

Soccerboy
05-12-2004, 05:53 PM
Anyone know the difference between initial PD and executed PD,

Soccerboy
05-12-2004, 06:04 PM
x

sb_jim
05-12-2004, 08:35 PM
You file your initial PD plan before you have done anything, in theory. You submit your executed PD plan after you have completed everything in your initial plan. You have 25 months from the time you submit your initial plan to the date you submit you executed plan. There are more details to it than this but it sounds like you may want to finish all of your exams before you attempt something this (not really so) complicated.

JTBenson
05-12-2004, 09:20 PM
I would suggest if you are interested, read everything you can on the SOA PD Page. It should answer most of your questions.