PDA

View Full Version : Execeuted PD Plan

Anonymous
06-10-2004, 09:46 AM
Can anyone out there give some advice on what would cause the SoA to send an executed plan back with comments? :-?
Thanks!

mr.c
06-10-2004, 01:31 PM
Well, I am on Day 16 with no response, so I may be able to tell you :D

I just wanttofinish, too!!!!!!!!!!!

After years of waiting two months for exam results, I can barely stand waiting a month to see if I jumped through the hoops correctly.

Seriously, though, my initial plan was sent back to me, because my advisor and I signed the Letter of Commitment, but not the Model Plan. In spite of my many perusings of the SOA guidance on the Executed Plan, I could certainly see something like that happening again.

mr.c
06-10-2004, 03:56 PM
Did you use the Anaheim Spring meeting as part of your PD, CheezHobbit? Maybe there's just a backlog of people doing that, and the PD committee is not really examining our particular plans in detail?

BTW, I've always been a big fan of your handle, Cheez.

Anonymous
06-10-2004, 04:12 PM
How long were your program summaries on average?
Mine are less than half a page each. Is that OK?
Thanks.

mr.c
06-10-2004, 04:22 PM
My program summaries were close to a page per credit based on something that I read on the RO some time ago. But when I was closely reading the PD documentation for the nth time, I saw that they recommend no more than 20 pages in total. That would be little more than half a page for each of 35 credits, so I bet that you're fine, wanttofinish.

Anonymous
06-10-2004, 04:56 PM
Thanks, mr c.
And good luck on your executed plan!
:)

JTBenson
06-10-2004, 09:16 PM
Mine ended up being a little less than two pages per credit. My advisor was pretty particular, but I think that the more I wrote helped emphasize what I learned.

tope
06-10-2004, 10:43 PM
Just a ball park, how much is enough in terms of pages for a project. Im doing a pensions project using a client example, how do you go about telling them what you learnt from the project, isnt it enough to just describe what you did and draw your own conclusins, do you have to go around saying , "what I learnt from this is..."

Also, you dont get extra credit for using the model plans do you?

Axsuetarian
06-11-2004, 12:11 AM
I wrote about 2 pages per credit and my project write-up was another 20 -pages or so (my PD plan makes an excellent paperweight).

I got my approval 3 days after sending to the SoA!

Hope to see you in McLean, Cheez and Mr C.!

Anonymous
06-11-2004, 08:07 AM
Wow - you wrote nearly 100 pages in total (35 uniits at 2 pages per unit and 20+ pages for project)???

By the way, congrats on getting into the August FAC!

Anonymous
06-11-2004, 08:58 AM
Asking again - anyone out there who knows what sort of things the SoA comments on when reviewing executed PD projects? I'd really appreciate the help. :viola:

VP
06-11-2004, 09:52 AM
Mine was 26 pages, 30 credits, 20 sessions. Lots of Anaheim sessions.

Still waiting for advisor signoff; haven't sent it to SOA yet. I figure I've got about 10 days to get it in the mail to feel safe about McLean, unless it fills up early!

NYC Triathlete
06-11-2004, 10:15 AM
So I guess McLean isn't full yet...that is great news.

My session summaries are about 3/4 of a page per session. My project write-up is 10 pages written plus about another 30-some-odd pages of Excel Documents. I think the length of the project write-up will greatly vary depending on the project though.

I need a few more credits which I will be getting in San Antonio next week and then the day I get back all this stuff is going out to Schaumburg in hope of getting into the McLean FAC. So maybe I will see you guys there...

I really just want to be done!!!

Well Seasoned Crouton
06-14-2004, 04:06 PM
I too am waiting for my plan to be reviewed. Does anyone have any estimate as to how often an FAC "sells out"? I assume that a large number used Anaheim as there last PD funtime - So a lot of people will be waiting the full 3 to 4 weeks for results. Would they ever increase the number of people they accept to an FAC - to handle an unexpected number of candidates. I would hate to think that I get my FSA promotion delayed 3 months because I was did get my app mailed to me soon enough.

Anonymous
06-16-2004, 03:40 PM
Anybody heard from the PD committee about their executed plan yet?
If so, how long did it take to get a response?

Axsuetarian
06-17-2004, 07:37 AM
Wow - you wrote nearly 100 pages in total (35 uniits at 2 pages per unit and 20+ pages for project)???

Yep, my PD plan was extremely long. The session write-ups weren't too bad, because I would write up the session the same day usually (while all my thoughts/ideas were fresh in my mind)

JTBenson
06-17-2004, 09:09 AM

Yep, my PD plan was extremely long. The session write-ups weren't too bad, because I would write up the session the same day usually (while all my thoughts/ideas were fresh in my mind)

I only had 10 PD Units to do through seminars and did them all with one seminar. I did my write-up on the plane that day and the next day, I had a day trip, so I finished it on the plane ride the next day.

Tip: Never fly United if you are doing a lot of work on your computer during the flight.

mr.c
06-17-2004, 01:39 PM
I finally wised up in Anaheim and brought my laptop into the sessions with me so that I wouldn't have to do the dreaded write-ups afterwards. Plus, it made some boring sessions go faster :)

Well Seasoned Crouton
06-17-2004, 02:18 PM
Mr. C, JTB, Axesue, etal.

You are all geniuses. I had to write 20 units of Seminar PD. I, being a complete moron, waited until the weekend before I needed to get it to my advisor. I have never been so bored in my life. To boot, my notetaking skills are reprehensible, so I really had to struggle to write up the sessions. A smarter me would have done it differently. Next time (yuk, yuk) I will write up the sessions as I attend them.

Good luck

Michel de Nostradamus
06-17-2004, 08:45 PM
Good advice re bringing the laptop!
Thanks!!! :)

Ezzard Charles
06-21-2004, 10:04 AM
From the SOA website:

"Effective August 15, 2001, the PD Committee will thoroughly review only a sample of the PD completion reports submitted. An administrative review for eligibility and adherence to limits and requirements will still be conducted on all final PD reports submitted. In general, reports will be selected randomly for a thorough content review. Any concerns flagged during the administrative review will also send a plan report to the formal content review process."

In other words, the SOA will give you a rubber-stamp unless you violate their "eligibility and adherence to limits" requirements, right? I think the eligibility requirements are clear, but does anyone know what "adherence to limits" means? Limits on what, exactly?

I'm sending out my final PD package this week, and I wrote considerably less than the rest of you for my program summaries (my advisor is fine with that). We'll see if that's enough to violate their "limits" requirement. Hope to see many of you in beautiful McLean, VA.

By the way, does the Metro run from McLean into D.C.? And are there any good restaurants in McLean itself? I suspect the answers are no and yes.

mr.c
06-21-2004, 10:54 AM
I read that as being limits on distance learning credits, non-SOA credits and credits earned before Initial Plan acceptance date.

Has anyone emailed the SOA about the delay yet?

Ezzard Charles
06-21-2004, 11:32 AM
About that 15-credit limit for "activities" before initial plan acceptance. Credits earned via pre-2000 exam conversion don't count toward that limit, do they? If they did, then no one could use more than 15 credits from pre-2000 exam conversion. They couldn't have possibly intended that...could they?

I had some exam conversion credits, and I'm also planning on using 15 credits from seminars before my initial plan was accepted. What do you think, am I hosed, or not hosed? At this point I'd prefer to be not hosed.

mr.c
06-21-2004, 11:47 AM
Dear mr.c:

Your PD plan has come back approved; approval letters were sent out this past Friday to both you and your advisor. August FAC registration materials will be emailed out to you within the next two weeks.

Thank you, and good luck to you.
PD Comments

>>> <mr.c> 06/21/04 10:09AM >>>

Dear Sir or Madam,

I submitted my Executed Plan about four weeks ago without hearing a
response from the SOA and have been in contact with several other
actuaries in a similar position. Are you able to tell me if there is a
backlog in the approval process or if there is a problem with my
submission? Also, if my plan is accepted, do you anticipate that there
will still be openings for the McLean, Virginia FAC?

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Regards,
mr.c

NYC Triathlete
06-21-2004, 11:51 AM
Darn, they took the whole four weeks for you guys? I just overnighted mine this past Thursday (some of the credits were from the June 14-15 San Antonio meeting). I hope they move a little quicker...I wanna go to McLean!!!

Congrats to all of you that made it into McLean!!! Hope to see you there!!

Anonymous
06-21-2004, 02:05 PM
Congrats, mr. c!!!!

:clap:

paranoid
06-21-2004, 03:49 PM
Mine took more than 4 weeks. There was a problem with my EA credits not being posted in the system. This was last year, so maybe they've got some glitch fixed.

Seriously, send an email. They are pretty good about responding to requests for updates.

Anonymous
06-21-2004, 06:33 PM
Congrats CheezHobbit!
Hey - did they include an application form via email?
Or did they only mail you the application info?

mr.c
06-21-2004, 07:31 PM
Dumb question:

If they said that they are sending an application for the August FAC, does that mean that the candidate will be accepted? That is, do I need to be worried about faxing it back the same day, or am I golden?

I'm just happy to be done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats, Cheez!

Transdermal Celebration
06-22-2004, 09:57 AM
Awwww.... Snap!
I finish my PD credits tomorrow and intend to mail the executed PD plan on Thursday. Looks like my chances of getting into August McLean FAC are slim.

VP
06-22-2004, 11:20 AM
Transdermal, I prefer to be optimistic. I mailed my plan yesterday (along with emailing the electronic version), and I think I have a reasonable shot at McLean. I know someone who got in to the Woodlands this Spring despite registering after the FAC registration deadline. I guess I'm counting on the deadline being soft or my plan not being scrutinized.

I don't know how many wannabes fills the FAC.

wood
06-22-2004, 01:27 PM
Just mailed out my executed plan today to SOA. I am not expecting to make August FAC. But it is a big relief... Feeling well! :P

mr.c
06-22-2004, 01:58 PM
Odd process if you ask me - seems they could have saved on postage expense by sending everything at one time. But then again, this is an organization that still uses a dot matrix printer.

:P

I am assuming the SOA takes registration applications "first come, first served" until the FAC is filled to capacity. I have no idea what that limit might be.

Do you think it possible that the limit is determined as Executed Plans are completed and not as FAC applications are received? If I recall correctly, the number of attendees listed in the "New Fellow" announcements is never a round number. This might imply that some people who are sent FAC apps (and count towards the limit) don't end up attending.

NYC Triathlete
06-25-2004, 11:52 AM
Congrats guys!! I am SO jealous...I am still waiting for that "we approved your stuff" letter...

Has anyone who used the San Antonio meeting in their plan heard anything yet??

mr.c
06-25-2004, 01:19 PM
I just got the email, too! Will you be wearing the cheddar hat on your Middle Earth head in McLean, Cheez?

YankeeHater
06-25-2004, 02:38 PM
I also over night mailed by executed plan last Thursday and have heard nothing. I know they received it, since I could track it via UPS. I am really hoping to get to go to McClean, but realize it might not work out, since I sent my plan in a little late to make the 4 week deadline. I only had 8.5 PD credits to submit that were not from the 2000 conversion (of which I only need 5), so I am really thinking they should be able to approve the thing pretty quick.

Plan on sending an e-mail this time next week if I don't hear anything before then. Congrats to CheezHobbitt and mr.c!! :party:

I really hope I get to join you in VA!!

mr.c
06-25-2004, 06:58 PM
Wow - sounds like a great crowd: people who hate the Packers and the Yankees! We should start our own consulting firm!

Axsuetarian
06-27-2004, 12:27 PM
mr.c Posted: 25 Jun 2004 11:19 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got the email, too! Will you be wearing the cheddar hat on your Middle Earth head in McLean, Cheez?

Cheddar hat! Please don't insult me - I hate that team! You'll recognize me by the hairy toes.

See you in McLean, Mr. C. Congrats!

And I'll see you both there!!

Hey, Not Mike, did you get in buddy?

wondering
06-27-2004, 08:07 PM
Hi! Does everyone really presented your project to peer group and included the feedback in your final report?

mr.c
06-27-2004, 09:29 PM
I did present but did not submit any written feedback with my executed plan. I just mentioned that I received some.

YankeeHater
06-28-2004, 10:50 AM
Some bad news for all of us still hoping to get into McClean. I just e-mailed pdcomments to inquire about the status of my PD plan and received this message in return:

Core Studies and Global Initiatives staff maintaining pdcomments@soa.org will be out of the office from Thursday, June 24th, returning Tuesday, July 6th. We will respond to your email at that time.

If you require immediate assistance with Professional Development, please contact Judy Powills at jpowills@soa.org, or by phone at 847-706-3563.

Thank you,
PD Comments

Does not look like they will be working hard to approve PD plans until after July 6th. I feel McClean slipping away! :swear:

Transdermal Celebration
06-28-2004, 11:08 AM
I also hope to get into McLean, although my chances are slim. I just overnight mailed my executed plan this morning. On the bright side, I received this response from the SOA after also receiving the disturbing "out of office 6/24 - 7/6" email above:

"Even though our PD administrator is out of the office until July 6 the PD review process continues. Having said that, you need to allow 3-4 weeks for a response to your executed plan submission. Therefore, please do not plan on receiving approval by July 12."

So I won't plan on getting approval by July 12, but I'll pray for it.

mr.c
06-28-2004, 02:02 PM
Well, at least the May 13-14 FAC still has openings according to the SOA website. At that rate of filling spots, I bet that you'll make it in with no problem! :roll:

NYC Triathlete
06-28-2004, 02:39 PM
You have GOT to be kidding me...The PD person is just allowed to take almost two weeks off just before a FAC registration deadline!!! And to top it all off, they are saying don't expect approval in time to register for the FAC!!! I wish I could pull this off at my job...

Looks like I need to join you all in praying...

tope
06-28-2004, 11:55 PM
Im using PD to obtain my ASA and I was told I can attend the APC in July even if I havent passed the last exam needed (or obtained the PD credits needed)...I see a lot of you poor souls are worried about having your PD approved so you can get to FAC and I pray you all do, what Im confused about is why is it ok for APC to have such leeway and it appears the FAC does not have such leeway, ie why cant you attend the FAC and get your attendance in instead of having to wait till FAC is approved first, doesnt make sense to me

NYC Triathlete
06-29-2004, 12:57 PM
Maybe because you officially become a FSA at the FAC...so how can they grant you that highly coveted fellowship status if you don't have ABSOLUTELY ALL Fellowship requirements completed.

VP
06-30-2004, 11:30 AM
I guess I'll send an email asking for an update on Tuesday, then. I'm still hoping 7/12 is not an immovable object.

Ezzard Charles
06-30-2004, 01:42 PM
Again, a quote from the SOA website:

"The PD Committee will thoroughly review only a sample of the PD completion reports submitted...in general, reports will be selected randomly for a thorough content review."

If this is true, then why would it take 3-4 weeks to approve executed PD plans? I can understand it taking that long for the randomly chosen few that get a thorough content review, but shouldn't it take a much shorter amount of time to approve the majority of projects that receive a "half-a** content review" (also a quote from the SOA website)?

Has anyone gotten their executed plan approved in significantly less than 3-4 weeks? Is the SOA pulling our legs again?

Ezzard Charles
06-30-2004, 01:59 PM
Never mind -- I found a thread from a few months back where it people were comparing approval times. They were either 3-4 weeks (thorough review, I assume) or 5-6 days (half-a** review, I assume), with nothing much in between. So it appears that the effective deadline to submit has not yet passed.

:P

mr.c
06-30-2004, 08:13 PM
Except that all of us in this thread have been waiting for 3-4 weeks. Our hypothesis is that that are backlogged from post-Spring Meeting submissions so that even your HA-described review is taking that long. Hopefully, we're just the unlucky ones getting full reviews...

unicorn
07-01-2004, 03:03 AM
My executed PD plan was submitted the day before Memorial weekend. Now 4th of July weekend is coming and I'm still waiting for the approval from SOA... :-?

Anonymous
07-01-2004, 08:54 AM
:o
That sounds like some sort of mistake.
Have you emailed them?
What was their response?
Hope it works out for you, unicorn. Good luck!

VP
07-01-2004, 10:38 AM
Yeah the Memorial to Independence thing is no good.

If indeed nothing has been done while this person (or persons) is on vacation last week and this, they better be working overtime next week to answer the likes of unicorn, and eventually me.

Anonymous
07-06-2004, 08:50 AM
Anybody out there received a response on their PD project? :horse:

unicorn
07-06-2004, 01:09 PM
As I mentioned, my PD plan was submitted around Memorial weekend. The following is the reponse I received from SOA yesterday. I don't know if I can make it to August FAC.......... it's really frustrating

"Your PD plan is due back from the PD Committee next week. Upon approval, confirmation letters will be sent out to both you and your advisor. If more information is needed, you will be contacted via email."

Anonymous
07-06-2004, 01:40 PM
They're not serious, right? :shake:

I really hope you get into the August FAC, unicorn. Keep us posted.

I'm waiting for a response from pdcomments too...

paranoid
07-06-2004, 06:44 PM
Unicorn. Call them. Email is a good start, but I wouldn't let it go at that given how long it has been. I don't know how much mine would have been delayed because of the computer glitch with the EA credits. Make absolutely sure there is nothing they need from you. That's a nice way to bug them.

Ezzard Charles
07-07-2004, 12:44 PM
I'm still hoping 7/12 is not an immovable object.

According to Mr(s). Pdcomments, 7/12 is practically immovable:

While spots do open up after the deadline, it is rare and usually due to family emergencies.

Oh well.

Transdermal Celebration
07-07-2004, 02:59 PM
then pardon my francais but that's just stupid. why do we need a deadline over 1.5 months before the FAC? that seems unreasonable, esp. since I probably won't get in after submitting my PD June 28 and it will delay my FSA raise an unnecessary 2 months. Just one final annoyance before we become part of the system, I guess.

Anonymous
07-07-2004, 03:43 PM
I don't understand why they stop accepting registrations over a month before FAC either.

I'm also annoyed that they say it will take 3-4 weeks then leave people like unicorn hanging for 5 weeks.

:soap:

Well Seasoned Crouton
07-07-2004, 03:43 PM
I just got my

Your plan has come back approved by the PD Committee. Confirmation letters will be sent to both you and your advisor later this week, and FAC registration materials will be emailed to you as well. You have a very good chance of attending the August FAC.

email today.

How long has it taken to get the FAC registration email. I garner from Mr. C's postings that it took about 5 days (pd email Monday, FAC registration Friday). What experience has anyone else had?

NYC Triathlete
07-07-2004, 04:03 PM
Crouton,

When did you submit your executed PD?

Transdermal Celebration
07-07-2004, 04:03 PM
Dear Well-Seasoned C,

When did you mail in your plan?

T.C.

Well Seasoned Crouton
07-07-2004, 04:07 PM
I emailed my submission on June 8th. So, I was right at 4 weeks.

NYC Triathlete
07-07-2004, 04:12 PM
I feel McLean slipping away.....And just to think that I busted my buns after San Antonio to get it all done...

Transdermal Celebration
07-07-2004, 04:51 PM
Yeah, it's too bad. I busted my rear after San Antonio and PolySystems Reserves week to get it mailed in as well. I feel like Rodney Dangerfield.

NYC Triathlete
07-07-2004, 05:47 PM
Rodney Dangerfield? I don't get it, but then again I didn't grow up here so sometimes I miss those pop-culture references...

I did see Rodney Dangerfield the other day though. He was getting out of his limo and walking into his comedy club Dangerfield's on First Avenue in Manhattan. He looked really old. REALLY old.

Transdermal Celebration
07-07-2004, 05:50 PM
Rodney Dangerfield: his famous line is, "I can't get no respect". A suggestion: watch "Caddyshack" and "Back to School", both are great Rodney movies. sorry, I'm off topic, it won't happen again.

NYC Triathlete
07-07-2004, 05:54 PM
Gotcha. I love Caddyshack--I don't remember that line though.

Let's hope the SOA gives us some R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Axsuetarian
07-08-2004, 08:25 AM
-DIGRESSION-

Hey Transdermal,

Lubbock Tx - Isn't that where the pro poker player is from (guy who was on ESPN's world series of poker coverage Tuesday night?)

maybe that's you? :wink:

Transdermal Celebration
07-08-2004, 09:35 AM
Axsue,

Actually, I'm not from Lubbock. I just picked that town as a location becuase I like the name. Are there new WS of Poker shows on now? I like watching it, but I keep seeing the one where Moneymaker beats Farha. Oops, off topic again. Better get back on topic:

Let's hope all who have turned in their PD plans get into McLean.

blue
07-08-2004, 09:38 AM
This question is for anyone who has received FAC registration materials.
Is the registration form that you fax to the SoA a generic form? Or is personalized with your details etc?

Congrats to all who made it McLean. I'm waiting and hoping...

VP
07-08-2004, 09:42 AM
Yes, this is disappointing. Waiting until November:

1. Delays raise, promotion, credentials 2 months
2. Forces me to a FAC on my wife's birthday. She's not buying the "all expenses paid trip to Atlanta, nice dinner with a bunch of actu-geeks" spiel. It's a significant one too (30), so this isn't good.
3. Can't celebrate with a college friend who by some miracle is finishing the FSA marathon at the exact same time as I am, 10 years later. Or so I thought.

I guess relative to failing an exam, this is only a minor delay. But what irks me is a perception that they're not making a reasonable effort to process approvals. To wit: unicorn's 5 week wait, the 10-day OOO email, the 5 (?) day delay from approval to registration email.

blue
07-08-2004, 09:55 AM
VP - I agree with you. I really don't understand why this stage of the process has to take so long.

Four weeks to "review" the material
A registration deadline that is over a month before the FAC
A 5 day delay to send out FAC registration details (??!!)

blue
07-08-2004, 10:14 AM
Well Seasoned Crouton - you mentioned that you received your approval email 4 weeks after you submitted your executed plan.

Was that 4 weeks after you emailed the executed plan to the SoA? Or was it 4 weeks after your Fedexed plan reached the SoA?

Based on teh dates you gave, it seems like the latter but I just wanted your confirmation. Thanks!

BTW, congrats! A few of us would love to be in your shoes right now. :P

Transdermal Celebration
07-08-2004, 10:31 AM
Only bright side I can muster out of this situation:

If we have to go to Atlanta instead of McLean, the Atlanta seminar is Thursday-Friday, and Mclean is Monday-Tuesday. So, we will have two days of weekend after the seminar to relax, and a few drinks in the hotel bar might be in order.

Swiper
07-08-2004, 10:55 AM
My FAC was on a Monday-Tuesday and drinks at the hotel bar were definately in order. There was a "social" the first night at the hotel bar. The SOA even gave each person coupons for two drink free drinks. I was suprised at that.

unicorn
07-08-2004, 01:02 PM
Finally........... my PD plan got approved !!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

"The PD Committee has approved your plan and hereby confirms your eligibility to attend the Fellowship Admissions Course. Your approval letter was mailed July 7.

Registration information for the August 2004 FAC is attached, please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any questions."

mr.c
07-08-2004, 01:10 PM
Is the registration form that you fax to the SoA a generic form? Or is personalized with your details etc?

Personalized with my info and the session date.

blue
07-08-2004, 01:15 PM
Unicorn - I am really happy you got in!
Congrats!!

:party:

I am still waiting to hear from the SoA...

NYC Triathlete
07-09-2004, 04:37 PM
Well, boys and girls, they approved me and I am off to McLean in August.

I can take a deep breath, get drunk, and resume my triathlon training which has been on an exam-induced hiatus...

See you in McLean!!

:toast:

Transdermal Celebration
07-09-2004, 05:11 PM
congrats NYC!

when did you submit your PD plan?

VP
07-09-2004, 05:27 PM
Darn, they took the whole four weeks for you guys? I just overnighted mine this past Thursday (some of the credits were from the June 14-15 San Antonio meeting). I hope they move a little quicker...I wanna go to McLean!!!

Congrats to all of you that made it into McLean!!! Hope to see you there!!

Looks like he sent it on 6/17. Mine went 6/21, so maybe I have hope that they'll crank through 2 days worth on Monday.

NYC Triathlete
07-12-2004, 10:12 AM
Yes, I overnighted it on the 17th, so they would have received it on the 18th.

And BTW, I am a "she."

VP
07-12-2004, 11:17 AM
And BTW, I am a "she."

My apologies.

BTW, that's pretty impressive that you went to San Antonio on Tuesday and overnighted your completed plan on Thursday. Your advisor must have been pretty accommodating (not to mention your zealously quick writing!). I sent my plan in 30 days after Anaheim, and only about 1/2 thsoe days were taken doing write-ups.

Anyone gotten any approvals today? Should the rough day the SOA had Friday re: exam results and website crashing adversely affect PD processing?

Transdermal Celebration
07-12-2004, 11:22 AM
I am probably delusional to think my PD will be approved today... I overnighted and emailed the PD June 28. (My last item was PolySystems Reserves week, June 24, but my advisior couldn't review the work until the weekend, so I sent it in Monday morning when I got the OK).

I didn't have to do a project, so there is less to review in my plan, but I will be impressed if the SOA gets mine approved in 2 weeks. Oh, it would be SOOO much easier for me if I could go to McLean!

NYC Triathlete
07-12-2004, 01:32 PM
Yes, my advisor was very cool about all this. She had everything reviewed (project and all) before San Antonio and then just reviewed the write-ups of my San Antonio sessions and the report describing the overall educational benefits obtained.

I wanted to be done SO badly that I just took the day after San Antonio and wrote everything up and she reviewed it the following morning and off it went. Everyone kept making jokes about how intense I was, but I guess it paid off...

I hope McLean works out for you guys...

VP
07-12-2004, 03:03 PM
The August FAC is all but closed.

From pdcomments today:

"While (your plan) has come back approved, you will most likely not be able to attend the FAC. There were other candidates ahead of you who had to be chosen first because their plans had arrived prior to your(s).

There are no official waiting lists to sign up to, but I do have your plan already set aside in case an opening does occur."

Transdermal Celebration
07-12-2004, 03:30 PM
VP, that sux.

Why do they close the FAC? Does anybody who has been to one know why they need to limit the # of candidates at a FAC? I am sincerely curious.

If I was VP I'd be completely frustrated by that response from pdcomments.

elleminopee
07-12-2004, 03:57 PM
I submitted mine on June 21, too. If I had made McClean I would get my FSA at attained age 26. Now it will be attained age 27. Booo!

YankeeHater
07-12-2004, 04:34 PM
The FAC is closed. I just got this e-mail back.

Dear YankeeHater:

Your PD plan has come back approved. However, as of right now, the FAC has reached its capacity. Even though your plans were submitted on the same day, we had a number of other plans also submitted on that day (on average, about 10-15 plans arrive daily during FAC registration), so they are processed in the order that they arrive.

However, if a candidate cancels their registration, those candidates who are next in line are sent registration materials. Therefore, there is still a slight chance you will be able to attend. I will keep you posted if anything changes.

Thank you,
PD Comments

I submitted my plan the same day NYC Triathlete did (6/18), so I missed McLean by less than one day. This stinks! :swear:

BC
07-12-2004, 04:53 PM
The August FAC is all but closed.

From pdcomments today:

"While (your plan) has come back approved, you will most likely not be able to attend the FAC. There were other candidates ahead of you who had to be chosen first because their plans had arrived prior to your(s).

There are no official waiting lists to sign up to, but I do have your plan already set aside in case an opening does occur."

Bummer. Sorry to hear it.

Ezzard Charles
07-13-2004, 01:25 PM
Why do they close the FAC? Does anybody who has been to one know why they need to limit the # of candidates at a FAC? I am sincerely curious. If I was VP I'd be completely frustrated by that response from pdcomments.

I asked Mr(s). Pdcomments about this, and here's the response I got:

"Dear Ezzard, we limit the FAC in order to introduce one final hazing mechanism into the process. After all you've been through in getting this far, you should not be surprised to hear this. Just be thankful we don't trip you as you walk up to the podium to receive your fellowship diploma.

Cheers,

Vlad the Impaler"

VP
07-15-2004, 11:56 AM
The FAC is closed. I just got this e-mail back.

Dear YankeeHater:

Your PD plan has come back approved. However, as of right now, the FAC has reached its capacity. Even though your plans were submitted on the same day, we had a number of other plans also submitted on that day (on average, about 10-15 plans arrive daily during FAC registration), so they are processed in the order that they arrive.

However, if a candidate cancels their registration, those candidates who are next in line are sent registration materials. Therefore, there is still a slight chance you will be able to attend. I will keep you posted if anything changes.

Thank you,
PD Comments

I submitted my plan the same day NYC Triathlete did (6/18), so I missed McLean by less than one day. This stinks! :swear:

Yankee- have you and your advisor gotten notification that your plan was approved, other than this email that you reference? I got a similar email alluding to my plan's approval, but nothing more official or offering registration for the Atlanta FAC.

I plan to ask on Monday where I fall on the "waiting list".

YankeeHater
07-15-2004, 03:08 PM
I have not received anything official from the SOA that says my PD was approved, but I am guessing I would get that soon.

I inquired about a waiting list for the August FAC and they would not tell me much. They said there was not an official waiting list, but that if someone who is registered has to cancel, then the next person (who had their PD approved) would be sent registration materials.

This really makes no sense, because they should be able to tell us how many people down we are on their unofficial waiting list. If I am number 5 or 6 or later, then I know I have no chance to go to McLean. But if I am number 1 or 2 on the list, then I know that there is still a chance (though pretty slim) that I could go in August.

The whole thing is pretty frustrating. I just wish they would send me registration info for Atlanta in November, so I can make sure I get to go to that FAC.

Ezzard Charles
07-19-2004, 09:52 AM
Even though your plans were submitted on the same day, we had a number of other plans also submitted on that day (on average, about 10-15 plans arrive daily during FAC registration), so they are processed in the order that they arrive.

This is what the SOA told YankeeHater.

Maybe I'm slow, but what does "during FAC registration" mean? Isn't it always FAC registration time, for the next available FAC? There were 98 new fellows in March, 105 new fellows in May, so I can't believe there's any significant period of time when the SOA averages 10-15 plans a day.

VP
07-19-2004, 12:13 PM
Yank Hater, LMNOP, Transdermal. New developments today. Please check your PM.

sb_jim
07-19-2004, 02:49 PM
That makes me interested to see what's going on. I overnighted my executed PD plan on 06/22/04. While I have been watching this link over the last month I have realized that I never had a chance to get into McLean. I haven't heard anything at all to date but I'm not going to bother them until at least 07/23/04.

Looks like it will be Atlanta for me and more of that deferred gratification that I have gotten used to.

No one has ever mentioned whether their executed PD plan was returned for revisions. That's my biggest fear. Still plenty of time to fix it before Atlanta.

Good luck to everyone on the waiting list.

Transdermal Celebration
07-20-2004, 12:28 PM
After a phone call to SOA, as we all know chances are slim of getting into McLean if you are not in already. It's too bad... what's the problem with having a highly attended FAC? I think it would be cool to see so many actuaries getting their FSA at once. Here's one item from the soa website that gives me a glimmer of hope:

"For the August 2004 FAC session, Canadian candidates may register provisionally if the sole element of their PD plan is the CIA's Practice Education Course (PEC). Candidates should proceed with filing their PD plan now, indicating that the PEC is the sole element of that plan. Once the PD plan has been filed, candidates will receive FAC registration materials. The candidate may then register for the FAC. If the candidate does not successfully complete the PEC, the registration will be voided. "

Although I don't wish anyone to fail, if there are a lot of Canadian candidates who registered provisionally pending completion of the PEC, and they do not successfully complete the PEC then maybe I can get in.

Which brings up another point... why can Canucks register provisionally pending PEC success but Yankees cannot register provisionally pending PD executed plan acceptance? argh. :shake:

Elton John
07-20-2004, 01:03 PM
Canadian candidates can register provisionally if the sole element of their PD plan is the compeltion of the PEC, which means that with the 2000 transition, you had at least 32 PD credits.

tope
07-21-2004, 12:24 PM
For those of you who completed a project for PD...Did you have to present your report to a peer group and get their feedback?...Is this required?..does anyone really care?..any help will do , thanks

NYC Triathlete
07-21-2004, 09:27 PM
I presented it, and got feedback. Told the SOA that I presented and got feedback.

tope
07-21-2004, 10:55 PM
How did you tell the SOA this, did you mention it in your Executed plan?

Did you have to show the SOA proof of presentation, ie feedback forms?

Thanks in advance

blue
07-22-2004, 09:15 AM
Anyone out there who didn't attend the FAC banquet?
When do they give you your certificate if you don't go?

NYC Triathlete
07-22-2004, 11:27 AM
In the section where I described how the project fit in with my educational objectives, I mentioned that I presented the project to the actuaries in my unit and that I have received feedback from them. I didn't submit any feedback forms because my feedback was oral.

In general, the responsibility for the accurateness/appropriateness of what you say in your PD write-up lies within you and your advisor. We are all professionals here, if you know what I mean...

tope
07-22-2004, 12:38 PM
NYC

Oh I hear what you mean, I was just wondering because I did make a 10 minute presentation and I just wanted to gauge if the SOA feels the need to see a proof of your presentation....

Thanks

wood
07-22-2004, 03:33 PM
sb_jim,

Have you heard any news from SoA yet? I mailed out my executed plan the same day as you and it will be four weeks tomorrow.

sb_jim
07-22-2004, 04:25 PM
wood:

I haven't heard anything yet. 4 weeks is up. I'll send them an e-mail today just to be sure they don't need further information from me.

Thanks for the reminder.

wood
07-23-2004, 09:49 AM
sb_jim,

Please let me know what you find out from SoA. Thanks.

sb_jim
07-23-2004, 12:27 PM
I found out from their auto response that they are out of the office until Tuesday, July 27. That may be why we haven't heard anything to date.

Serenity Now.

YankeeHater
07-23-2004, 05:06 PM
Just received my FAC registration for McLean and faxed it in to the SOA!!! I am pretty excited that I do not have to wait until November to go to the FAC. I look forward to seeing many of you there. I can't believe I am now so close to being a part of the evil empire. The empire that I have cursed the past 10 years every time I failed an exam.

VP
07-26-2004, 01:24 PM
I'm in to McLean too!

sb_jim
07-27-2004, 02:41 PM
wood:

PDcomments responded today with the following:

"Your PD plan came back approved last week. Confirmation letters will
be sent out this week to you and your advisor, and November FAC
materials will be emailed to you as well.

Thank you, and good luck to you."

I'm very happy at this point and don't mind the wait for Atlanta, GA. Good luck to you and everyone else who is waiting. (The waiting is the hardest part. (TP and the HBs))

Ezzard Charles
07-27-2004, 03:13 PM
I'm very happy at this point and don't mind the wait for Atlanta, GA. Good luck to you and everyone else who is waiting. (The waiting is the hardest part.)

Congrats! I got the same e-mail today, so I'll be joining you in Atlanta.

I agree, waiting for PD approval was almost as excruciating as waiting for exam results, where at least you know what day you're going to find out. This felt more like you're a kid eagerly waiting for Christmas, but no one can tell you the exact date of Christmas, only that it will likely take place between 3 and 4 weeks after December 1st. These last few days, every time I heard the beep of a new e-mail, I wondered if it was my approval at long last.

wood
07-28-2004, 05:39 PM
sb_jim, that's great and congrats!

Transdermal Celebration
08-02-2004, 11:50 AM
I will be in Atlanta as well. Approved! At this point, I don't care, just glad to be done. DONE! hahahahahahaha!

Elton John
08-06-2004, 10:11 AM
My plan is approved, just received the e-mail from SOA. See ya in Atlanta. :duh:

New at pd
08-06-2004, 10:18 AM
Congratulations!!!

When did you send in your executed PD plan?

I'm hoping for Atlanta as well - I sent my plan in on 7/21.

Elton John
08-06-2004, 12:42 PM
July 8

New at pd
08-06-2004, 12:53 PM
Hmmm...4 weeks to approve something that they don't even read in detail. Gotta love the SoA.

cactuar
08-08-2004, 09:39 PM
Anyone taking more than 4 weeks for their full 50 credits PD plan to be approved?

I am hoping to go to Atlanta and will be sending my executed plan in the next couple of days...it's about 5 weeks before Sep 16, would that be enough?

New at pd
08-09-2004, 08:09 AM
It seems as if the number of credits is irrelevant -- I know someone that had 20 credits, and it took the same 3-4 week timeframe to get the response from the SoA.

I would think that's enough. Even if the SoA bounces your plan back to you, when you re-submit you don't have to wait 3-4 weeks again -- the turnaround is much quicker.

Good luck everyone! Hope to see you all in ATL.

Elton John
08-11-2004, 04:18 PM
How long does it take to receive the documents for the FAC after you have received the email confirming your plan is approved ?

tope
08-11-2004, 04:42 PM
I was told by the humble SOA that my PD will take 4-6 weeks, how about that for "Window of Opportunity"...

cactuar
08-11-2004, 07:50 PM
I was told by the humble SOA that my PD will take 4-6 weeks, how about that for "Window of Opportunity"...

Really?!!! So I could be too late for the Nov FAC even if I send my PD out this week...
:cry:

TW Man
08-11-2004, 09:45 PM
I was told by the humble SOA that my PD will take 4-6 weeks, how about that for "Window of Opportunity

Tope;

Did they write to you that it will take for more than 4 weeks. According to SOA website, it normally takes 3 to 4 weeks to review. Is there any special issue?

New at pd
08-12-2004, 07:49 AM
Actually, the SoA changed it in one section of the PD Overview to 5-6 weeks. The email I got from the SoA (I emailed them about when I might get a response -- I'm just high-strung when it comes to this sort of thing) said that it was due to the large volume increases.

Transdermal Celebration
08-12-2004, 09:17 AM
Fyi, I mailed my plan in June 28, and my letter of acceptance was dated July 27, so just over 4 weeks. My PD plan did not include a project, and it was only 15 pages of writing up seminars / meetings.

New at pd
08-12-2004, 09:20 AM
Cool -- I sent mine in on 7/21, and the androgenous person behind pdcomments@soa.org told me they were expecting a response on my plan next week -- it's 3 weeks today.

tope
08-12-2004, 09:29 AM
I got the same response as NewatPD , wrt to the 5-6 weeks

I don't want to be a pest to the pdcomments guru but its been 3 weeks now since i sent my PD in, is it a good idea to at least check in to see what is happening?..

does anyone think the influx of PDs would make them look closer at everyone of them?

New at pd
08-12-2004, 09:33 AM
A quick, polite inquiry never hurts -- they have to know that many of us, just by going through the exam process, are high-strung individuals. They probably expect a fair amount of this type of question.

TW Man
08-12-2004, 11:23 AM
Actually, the SoA changed it in one section of the PD Overview to 5-6 weeks. The email I got from the SoA (I emailed them about when I might get a response -- I'm just high-strung when it comes to this sort of thing) said that it was due to the large volume increases.

Dear New at pd;

Where can I find the wording of changing the review time to 5-6 weeks? That is really a bad news for the people like me. I have done so much effort in order to meet September 16 deadline. Is there any tips that we can pre-register? I copied the paragraph from SOA website. Does it mean we can pre-register during PD reviewing process.

Candidates who earn eligibility upon successful completion of an SOA examination, including the Course 7 seminar, are eligible to register upon receipt of a passing score. If you are completing your requirements for the F.S.A. designation with a component other than PD, please contact fac@soa.org

New at pd
08-12-2004, 11:27 AM
From the PD overview document:

PD Document Submission Additional Guidelines
(See also: Tips for Submitting Your PD Plan Documents)

All PD plan documents should be submitted to the PD Committee at the following address:

Professional Development Committee
Society of Actuaries
475 N. Martingale Road, Suite 600
Schaumburg, IL 60173

Please allow 5-6 weeks for a response to your executed plan submission.
Do not use company letterhead when submitting plan documents
Avoid binding plan documents, as the materials will need to be copied for review by the PD Committee. (Staples, clips or rubber bands are fine.)
Include a cover memo stating the intent of the package (initial plan, executed plan, follow-up to previously submitted plan etc.) If you are adopting a Model Plan, please state that explicitly to facilitate the review/approval process.
Include your PD filing fee and payment form when submitting your initial plan

Note: If it is necessary to submit your PD filing fee and payment form separate from your PD plan documents, please send the payment to the address specified on the payment form for check or credit card payments. If submitting payment form along with plan documents, please send to the SOA office address not the P.O. Box listed on the payment form.

I know that really sucks, especially when you used the 3-4 weeks to figure out when you needed to get your plan into the SoA to make November.

TW Man
08-12-2004, 12:52 PM
Thank you New at PD.

But I also found the following wording just in the same place before the paragraph you post. Hopefully, they will keep a shorter review time.

A written response to an executed plan submission will generally require 3-4 weeks. The executed plan package must include the following:

sb_jim
08-13-2004, 11:11 AM
Has anyone actually received Atlanta FAC details in the mail? I had the feeling that they would get McLean out of the way before they started the Atlanta mailings but it's been two weeks since my approval letter so of course I need to worry about it.

Elton John
08-13-2004, 01:08 PM
Not yet :-?

Transdermal Celebration
08-13-2004, 03:44 PM
still waiting.

still wish I could go to McLean.

I have heard the FAC is a bunch of graba$$ anyway, you see a movie, look at a few ethical case studies, they slap you on the bottom and give you a diploma. dinner and drinks to follow. couldn't they squeeze a few extra bodies into the room? no use complaining i guess except i've already typed this message so I'll post it anyway.

sb_jim
08-16-2004, 01:36 PM
Just received the Atlanta FAC information today by e-mail. Every time I start to worry the SOA comes through. They do not want registration materials to be returned until after 08/27/2004 so there is still plenty of time for everyone.