PDA

View Full Version : please help me out

sallyhzs
03-22-2002, 12:26 AM
I sit for exam 1 in May. I will graduate with master degree in math with computer science option this June. My bachelor degree is economics in China. I found that i don't want to be a pure techinical ppl in the future. Personally i think actuary is a good combination of business and technology. I have the following choises:

1. getting a computer job after graduation.
2. After passing the exam 1 ( i assume that i can pass it), begin to look for a job.
3. I applied for graduate programs at one unviersity, one is actuary, another one is economic with financial track. I was accepted by both. Which program is better?

So what you think? Begin to work as a programmer or stay in the university tyying to pass more exams? If stay in the university, which program is better?

Pls help me out.

DW Simpson
03-22-2002, 09:44 AM
Some good advice was given here (http://www.actuary.ca/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=3342&forum=3) and here (http://www.actuary.ca/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=2192&forum=14).

It really depends on what you want to do long term; another graduate degree or starting an actuarial career or computer programming. There are plenty of actuary jobs with a programming element, too. You might have a better idea after you sit for the May exam and see how you do.

Elisha
03-22-2002, 11:10 AM
I don't have much experience, but from what I've learned in my short career so far I will tell you this.

Many people focus on or come from a mathematical (math or stats degree) point of view when looking at the actuarial profession. I would say that you need to consider yourself a businessperson first; albeit one who (may) use complex mathematical/statistical methods to solve problems. Many times you either can't spend much time on a project/solution and you just need a rough answer, but other times you need to look at all angles when making an indication/forecast. You will need good commmunication skills and be able to relate to people from various backgrounds, often having to simplify complex concepts. I hope this helps. Like DWS Webmaster said, there are many career options, you just need to choose something.

Alya
03-22-2002, 12:40 PM
It really depends on what you want to do long term; another graduate degree or starting an actuarial career or computer programming.
Sometimes tossing a three sided coin also helps :smile: