PDA

View Full Version : Hold 'em Books?

Smooth Verona
06-18-2004, 11:27 AM
I've read a NL Hold 'em book for beginners (McEvoy/Daugherty). I've now played in some tournaments in Vegas and at Poker Stars. What is my next step?

Is there a good intermediate book I should read or should I just play more?

Thanks!

douglan
06-18-2004, 11:34 AM
I've read a NL Hold 'em book for beginners (McEvoy/Daugherty). I've now played in some tournaments in Vegas and at Poker Stars. What is my next step?

Thanks!

Sklansky has a book (Hold'Em for Advanced Players or something of the like).

douglan
06-18-2004, 11:34 AM
deleted

Cohete009
06-18-2004, 11:35 AM

Thanks!

Stay away at all costs in games that contain Cohete009. That would be a good profitable move for your game.

It all depends on if you prefer limit games (1/2 hold'em etc.), or prefer tournaments. What you prefer to play willl determine the next book to read.

Bama Gambler
06-18-2004, 11:38 AM
Check here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=books) for more info on poker books. Specifically look for Mason Malmulth's reviews.

Smooth Verona
06-18-2004, 12:18 PM
Thanks. I'll head to the bookstore at lunch. I need to do some serious reading if I want to compete in the first ASOP major. :)

MNBridge
06-18-2004, 12:32 PM
Theory of Poker is the first book anyone who plays should buy. (Especially us math nerds who actually understand it).

All the moves you will read in other books are based on the principles in this one. You will have a better 'understanding' of 'why' the moves they recommend make sense if you have read Theory first. (and where you can mix things up v where you should do exactly this, etc.)

vegas
06-18-2004, 12:49 PM
Theory of Poker is the first book anyone who plays should buy. (Especially us math nerds who actually understand it).

All the moves you will read in other books are based on the principles in this one. You will have a better 'understanding' of 'why' the moves they recommend make sense if you have read Theory first. (and where you can mix things up v where you should do exactly this, etc.)

Agreed. This is a great book.

BTW, I also enjoyed Brunson's book, Super System (I think it was called).

fallout
06-18-2004, 10:12 PM

Run away.