PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Cup smak...

Pages : [1] 2

Shrek
04-02-2002, 10:50 AM
Actually, the mighty Sabres have the rest of the league right where they want it. They've deliberately faltered the first half of the season so as to be even more of a surprise down the stretch. - January 24, 2002 Well, clearly someone missed the boat.

It would almost be a shame to see the team formerly from Minnesota miss the playoffs.[/i]

Cannonball
04-02-2002, 02:05 PM
OK, Buzzy, the Sabres have not had the second-half turnaround that I expected. SO KISS MY GRITS!

With that out of the way, let me say that I'm rooting for the Wings 100%. Hopefully Dom will get his Cup so he can retire as a Stanley Cup Champ, in addition to the greatest goalie EVER!!!!!!!!

Pseudolus
04-02-2002, 02:10 PM
What is "The Cup"? Is that a new MLB award for the franchise with the most fragile (team-)members?

Let's hope it's not the Red Sox who would have been in strong contention last year.

egg
04-02-2002, 02:14 PM
I will be rooting for the Red Wings, but I just don't know if they can do it. Roy has their number, plus the 'Lanche have the one thing that Detroit doesn't - toughness. Detroit was soft in last years' playoffs and they lost Lapointe and didn't really add any toughness even with all of their Hall of Fame additions.

Maine-iac
04-02-2002, 02:31 PM
Although Colorado is slumping at the moment, they have a tendency to do that this time of year. Probably focusing too far ahead. But they will be dominant in the playoffs. Roy will calm down and focus, Mike Keene will energize the lockerroom, Sakic will be his usual brilliant self, etc., etc.

What's "The Cup"? That big, shiny thing the Avalanche have and are going to keep.

Shrek
04-02-2002, 03:38 PM
This is what The Cup should, and will look like:
http://mich.stage.advance.net/redwings/stanley_gallery/jpeg/photo10.jpeg

frummie
04-02-2002, 03:41 PM
The Kings will take the Cup!

Shrek
04-02-2002, 05:05 PM
no they won't.

Botsy
04-02-2002, 08:14 PM
Colorado is the only team that has a chance against Detroit. The Wings are resting their stars right now, which could be a bad thing if they don't buckle down when it counts. This year's Wings is different from the others. They have a confidence that I haven't seen before. I think the confidence has a name. Oh yeah, Hasek.

Patrick Roy is great, but a team that can't score, can't win and the Aves can't score.

Kid Rock
04-03-2002, 12:02 PM
Hopefully Dom will get his Cup so he can retire as a Stanley Cup Champ, in addition to the greatest goalie EVER!!!!!!!!

Patrick Roy is the greatest goalie. He has the 4 cups to back it up too. And, at least 2 of those teams had NO business winning the Cup. I would put Ken Dryden #2 (5 Cups), but he had a much better supporting cast.

A goalie that does not win a Cup is like a QB without a Super Bowl (or title prior to 1966), can't be the best ever (sorry, Mr. Marino). A goalie can almost single-handedly win a Stanley Cup.

Let's get ready to watch the Bruins falter in the first round and then start losing their stars. Boooohooo!

Lee Mellon
04-03-2002, 05:22 PM
I like longshots and underdogs. Gimme the Habs this year. A little help from Tampa tonight would be nice.

Roy is the greatest, but I doubt that he'd have beaten Sawchuck at his best. Roy did put on quite an exhibition last Saturday after surrendering a penalty goal to a rookie.

Maine-iac
04-03-2002, 05:23 PM
He needs to go see Ray Borque again for a refresher course on how to relax and enjoy the game.

Kid Rock
04-03-2002, 05:50 PM
Roy is the greatest, but I doubt that he'd have beaten Sawchuck at his best. Roy did put on quite an exhibition last Saturday after surrendering a penalty goal to a rookie.

I know you're old, Lee, but how old? Sawchuck peaked in the 1950's and hung around until 1970. He won 3 Cups when there were only6 teams!

I am always skeptical about people comparing players in a current era to a player in a prior era, unless they have seen both play. Bob Costas is the worst at this. I actually heard him describing the "feel" in a stadium during a particular game in the 1940's or 1950's that he didn't attend!

Go Habs! Game 6 of the Stanley Cup, Le premiere etoile, Sakuuuuuuuu Koivuuuuuuuu.

Lee Mellon
04-03-2002, 07:24 PM
I did see him play, Kings, 67-68. Been to the forum in Inglewood and watched on TV. Next Frodo's birthday is a half century.

Drewby
04-04-2002, 12:21 AM
Okay, show of hands...who wants to play the Devils in the first round? Anyone...anyone?

Brodeur gets hot, and watch out!!!!

:evil:

Pseudolus
04-04-2002, 04:36 PM
A hockey story that made me laugh:

HEADLINE: Capitals Are Considering a Move to New Jersey (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A58077-2002Apr3.html)

Maine-iac
04-04-2002, 04:43 PM
That headline must have caused a few coffee spills this morning! :o

Mtl guru
04-04-2002, 10:22 PM
Go Habs! Game 6 of the Stanley Cup, Le premiere etoile, Sakuuuuuuuu Koivuuuuuuuu.

And it will be hard to choose between him and Theodore for the Conn Smythe.

Lee Mellon
04-08-2002, 12:16 AM
Go Habs!

Jed the Humanoid
04-08-2002, 01:41 PM
Has anyone looked at the WC hockey pool recently ? Asides from the fact that I'm BACK ON TOP, it's surprising how close this is. A week ago, I thought Lindros-Free was sailing toward an easy victory and now he's 4th and Ammie is 5th.

And what about egg, huh ?

frummie
04-08-2002, 02:34 PM
Yes they will!

Hanse
04-09-2002, 02:17 PM
East -
Philly's goaltending woes continue, and given the very real chance they will face NJ in the first round, I don't see them around long.

Boston will likely win the conference, but how? I haven't seen them put together a decent game all around. They've also blown more 3rd period leads than any other playoff team. The return of Koivu will give the Habs a huge lift.

Carolina? Who's idea is it to give these clowns a 3 seed? They have been hot lately, and I can see them getting by the Isles, but they should get bounced if NJ makes it to #6.

Toronto needs Cujo. Schwab's been good, but I don't think good enough to take them to the cup. Ottawa has it's own goalie problems. Lalime just chokes when it matters.

With a healthy Cujo, Toronto represents the east. If he's out, the Devils win.

West -
I think it would be tough to argue that Detroit doesn't have the most talent, but I don't like their cup chances because they've been playing like crap the last couple of weeks, and haven't played a meaningful game since December. I don't know if they can turn it on for the playoffs, or will see another early exit this year. Neither Vancouver nor Edmonton have the Goalie to stop them in the first round.

Colorado has been on a mission, but lacks the scoring punch they really need to bury anyone. But this is Roy's time of year. If you don't get to him early, you won't get to him.

San Jose started their season ending swoon late this year, after virtually locking up their playoff slot. Unless they get the Blues in round 1, they won't make it to the second round.

The potential LA - Phoenix matchup is probably the best first round series, the winner will give Colorado or Detroit all they can handle in the second round.

St Louis is probably not as good right now as either Calgary or Dallas, and should only provide some ice time to their first round opponent.

If Detroit can find the drive to play, they should win the West, if they can't Colorado will.

Liking the original six matchup, Detroit over Toronto in six.

Mtl guru
04-09-2002, 08:44 PM
SAKU! SAKU! SAKU!

Shrek
04-10-2002, 10:37 AM
Koivu's story is a nice one, but I seem to remember him not being terribly popular in Montreal in the past due to his propensity to miss a lot of games due to injury, and a contract squabble (I think he only held out for part of training camp, and didn't miss any of the regular season that year). Am I way off on this?

frummie
04-15-2002, 01:57 PM
Allright, Maine-iac, we're picking up where we left off last year (at least where I left off last year). This time the Kings will get that fourth win! :D We'll give you the first game to give you some confidence, then take the second at Pepsi. The Cat has just been playing rope-a-dope the last few weeks so we could draw you. Go Kings Go!

More prognostications later.

Mtl guru
04-15-2002, 11:22 PM
Buzz:

There was a lot of expectations and we he came to Montreal people thought he was the savior who would lead the team to the Cup. On his second season he was leading the NHL when he broke his knee. Things where never the same again.

People started to see that he would not be able to support the team by himself, but due to a lack of good players, and good performance when he did play, he was still the most popular. He was still able to get almost 1 point/game.

I don't remember him having a contract squabble.

Big D
04-18-2002, 09:37 AM
A solid start to the playoffs. All four games were one goal games and two went into overtime. Some thoughts:

Igor Larinonov (age 120) was the best player on the ice in Detroit last night. Trevor Linden (skates like he is 120) was the best Canuck.

Martin Brodeur should have had that GWG.

A review of the goals Hasek allowed.
1. A soft shot to the short side from an atrocious angle from a career fourth liner in the first 30 seconds of a period.
2. A soft shot to the short side from an atrocious angle...hey this sounds familiar. He gets some slack because the puck did hit Chelios, but he did pull away from the post early.
3. Four Red Wings plus Hasek watch the puck bounce around 10 feet in front of their net. One of two Canucks amid the sea of Red Wings grabs the puck and scores. You can't blame him for the goal, as Linden should have been put on his derriere by any of the four Wings standing around, but he did seem to be caught flat footed by the shot. If the score is 3-2 with 10 minutes to go you have to be more ready than that.
4. A 40 foot floater to the short side in overtime. The "best goalie in the world" has to make that save.
Since he rose to prominence part of Hasek's strength is that he gets into a shooter's mind. He has them beaten before they shoot. This advantage has to be gone after a performance like that. Granted he could easily regain it if he comes back strong in game 2.

The refereeing in Detroit was atrocious, even though it was equally bad for both teams.

Whoda thunk the goalies would be the story in the Ott-Phi series for playing well?

Ask Red Wings fans what a hot Arturs Irbe can do to the opposing team in the playoffs. Although the Wing team that Irbe put out a few years ago when he was with San Jose had Chris Osgood in net. New Jersey's goalie is just a touch better that that.

If I was the Red Wings or (shudder to think) one of their fans, I wouldn't be worried about being down 1-0 in the series. I would be worried about how sloppily there were playing. Its only one game, but if playing like that becomes a trend, there is going to be more whining in Motown this spring. And you know it would break my heart to see that. :P

Dan Cloutier is a scary goalie to watch if you are a Canuck fan, or Red Wing hater. It seems every shot has a chance to go in. And for him rebounds are a great gift to give at anytime.

What the heck were Uwe Krupp and Steve Duschene doing in the lineup, while Jiri Slegr sat in the press box?

egg
04-18-2002, 10:08 AM

The refereeing in Detroit was atrocious, even though it was equally bad for both teams.

The replacement linesman was especially bad. But that doesn't explain the bad penalty calls.

If I was the Red Wings or ...one of their fans, I wouldn't be worried about being down 1-0 in the series.

I am not worried yet. Hasek had a terrible game. I expect him to play better, we don't need him going in a slump now - he had 2 bad games vs. St Louis. Vancouver played well, Detroit had trouble knocking them off the puck despite us outhitting them. If Vancouver decides they want to start hitting us - it will be good for my studying because the Wings will be gone.[/quote]

Cannonball
04-18-2002, 11:04 AM
Hasek was not his usual stellar self in his final season in Buffalo during the playoffs. The Sabres should have won the series against Pittsburgh, but Dom let in some softies. I'm a-hopin' that he catches fire real quick and displays the abilities that have made him such an incredible goalie.

Maine-iac
04-18-2002, 11:21 AM
Yep, he's got SOOOO much confidence in the Kings that he's displaying an Angels avatar.

Bring on the puck, buddy.

Shrek
04-18-2002, 11:57 AM
Its (sic) only one game, but if playing like that becomes a trend...Uh, I've watched the last month and a half in disgust. It has become a trend; it just better stop soon.

Hasek bites, and I wasn't terribly excited about getting him in the first place. His GAA was fair, but his save % was not what it should be. At least we knew Ozzy's weakness was anything shot from outside the blue line.

Finally, what the hell is Bowman thinking? Why was Duchesne even allowed near the Joe? Slegr scratched for him? Even Olausson would be better. Cripes, even bringing back Larry Murphy (who, by Big D's math would be about 200) would be better than seeing Duchesne on the ice.

Lee Mellon
04-18-2002, 12:44 PM
Best play of the game? The 1:03 two man down penalty kill. What an awful call on the second penalty!

However, Go Habs!

Maine-iac
04-18-2002, 04:34 PM
OK, Frummie. I saw the new avatar. An internet fantasy is about as close as the Kings are coming to the cup THIS year.

Dr T Non-Fan
04-18-2002, 05:05 PM
Four points is hardly a dominating position to start from.
Much as I'd like to see Detroit and Colorado play, I'll root for the Kings until they're out.
What IS up with Detroit, though? Playing down to their opponents? No respect? Even Hasek can't see through screens, I guess.

Mtl guru
04-18-2002, 10:56 PM
GO HABS GO

Audette 2 goal
Koivu 1 goal

Boston = big defence = slow = easy to pass by

And Theodore wasn't even needed to make a difference.

Dafoe was poor on two goals.

Lee Mellon
04-19-2002, 09:06 AM
Great game by the Habs! Boston looked like a bunch of thugs.

Maine-iac
04-19-2002, 09:56 AM
COLORADO! Whoooo, Whoooo, Whoooo.

Who'd a thought Forsberg had it in him?

Big D
04-19-2002, 11:48 AM
Was anyone else able to get the French CBC's feed of the Habs game last night? Apparently there is some sort of technician strike on and the game was aired without any audio commentary. The visuals were like an ordinary hockey telecast, but the only sounds were the crowd noise and the occasional snippet you could hear from the players. It was like being there, with instant replays.

The Leafs sleepwalked throught the first two periods last night and were lucky to be only down 1-0. The Isles seemed content to sit back. That seems odd. Play all season as an aggressive, offensive team, but in the first playoff game get a 1-0 lead and sit on it? When they came out of their shell, they got chances. The shot total (something like 31-14 in favour of Toronto) was not indicative of the run of the game. This series is not over.

I can see the logic of putting Domi on Sundin's line, but there were several occasions when Tie's lack of offensive instincts cost them chances. When Roberts comes back he can provide nearly the same grit but much more scoring potential.

What Mtl guru said about Boston's defence is true, but the Habs had better exploit this advantage quickly. The same time as their forwards are dancing around the Bruin D, the Bruin forwards are pounding the holy crap out the Montreal D. The longer the series goes, the more Boston is going to take the play to the Habs. I still think Montreal is going to win, but they will be in no shape for the second round.

Mtl guru
04-19-2002, 11:55 AM
Was anyone else able to get the French CBC's feed of the Habs game last night? Apparently there is some sort of technician strike on and the game was aired without any audio commentary.

Big strike, techs and journalists.

The longer the series goes, the more Boston is going to take the play to the Habs. I still think Montreal is going to win, but they will be in no shape for the second round.

They need two wins in Boston, because the boards are much harder in Montreal, that will hurt.

Bonnie
04-19-2002, 12:16 PM
Big D,
I think our defense was out to lunch yesterday. What choppy, sloppy play by both teams. The 2nd period was a complete waste of time. I think my favorite part was the broken glass. At least that had a bit of excitement.

General Kenobi (ret.)
04-19-2002, 12:32 PM
Who'd a thought Forsberg had it in him?

His surgeon should have a pretty good idea what's in there. . . . :D

Dr T Non-Fan
04-19-2002, 01:12 PM
Great game! Didn't like the outcome, but it's best of seven.

frummie
04-19-2002, 02:13 PM
Yep, I forgot to put my King Avatar up. (The pathetic Angels need my support way more than the terrific Kings!) Was waiting for the cup to be included with the Kings avatar. Part of my prognostication prowess. We will be seeing it that way in June. 2002, that is!

I predicted last night's loss and predict the next game a win for the Kings at Pepsi. Then two wins for the Kings at Staples. More later...

Mtl guru
04-19-2002, 02:19 PM
We will be seeing it that way in June. 2002, that is!

Or you will be seeing the Habs win over the Kings like in 93. :P :D :P

Maine-iac
04-19-2002, 02:28 PM
Ah, Frummie. Perhaps if you lie down and have a cool drink, these delusions will pass. A Pepsi, perhaps? But not out of a Stanley Cup.

frummie
04-19-2002, 03:26 PM
Or you will be seeing the Habs win over the Kings like in 93.

Yes, when the Habs had to stoop to a curved stick call to win, and scored a goal while a player was in the crease. I remember. :cry:

A poem for Maine-iac, with apologies to Shakespeare (based on Sonnet 73):

That time of year thou mayst in me behold
When yellow Avs, or none, or few, do hang
Upon those nets which shake against the goal,
Bare ruin'd shots, where Avs sticks go “clang”.
In me thou seest the twilight of such lit lamp
As after the Avs fadeth in the west,
Goals by and by the Kings doth take away,
Felix the Cat, who seals up all in nets…

Big D
04-19-2002, 04:02 PM
Yes, when the Habs had to stoop to a curved stick call to win, and scored a goal while a player was in the crease. I remember. :cry:

A Kings fan has no business complaining about bad calls in that playoffs year. Were you crying when referee Kerry Fraser singlehandedly won the semifinal series against the Leafs for the Kings?

Maine-iac
04-19-2002, 04:28 PM
There once was a team called the Kings,
Who wanted some Stanley Cup rings.
But they played the Avs first,
And found they were cursed.
They wished they'd been playing the Wings!

:D

(not as artistic, but short and to the point.)

Dr T Non-Fan
04-19-2002, 04:36 PM
I recall the King-Leaf series as best coach hairdo wins. The tie went to the one with the most hair.

Mtl guru
04-19-2002, 04:47 PM
If we can have Habs-Leafs in east final that would be great!

Jed the Humanoid
04-19-2002, 10:17 PM
This is precious !!!

Live Coverage
Vancouver 3
Detroit 1
18:32 left in 3rd

:lol: Hasek has 8 saves on 11 shots :lol:

Ok, now I want the Kings to win it all :)

Mtl guru
04-19-2002, 10:48 PM
Canucks wins 5-2!

Lee Mellon
04-20-2002, 12:56 AM
Great game! Don't forget about last year, however. But Detroit is looking tired...

General Kenobi (ret.)
04-20-2002, 09:02 AM
It's a little quiet in Gamma Quadrant these days :)

Big D
04-20-2002, 11:20 AM
The first and fourth goals by Vancouver were atrocious. Goals like the first one happen sometimes, even to the best of goalies, and if he had been playing like his normal self lately a big deal wouldn't be made of it. The one that speaks volumes to me was the fourth one. Naslund's wrist shot from the top of the circle goes in. Admittedly it was a good shot, but Hasek was practically standing on the goal line when it went in. A confident Hasek is out on the edge of the crease and makes an easy save on that shot. When a goalie loses confidence it can take a long time to get it back (see Potvin, Felix) if he ever does. And even Scotty is criticizing Hasek now. In the post game news conference he said "In the playoffs you have to be able to score one or two goals in a game and win" and "You cannot win if you have to score 5 goals a night. Both games in this series we have needed 5." We are going to see what Dom Hasek is made of in Game 3.

I saw some of the Devils-'Canes game last night. Scott Stevens looked like he was having a tough time. He can still play good defence with his positioning and strength in front of the net, but he labours out in space. He has never been fast, but now it looks like he is too slow. Same with Ken Daneyko. I bet next season is the last for these guys. The Hall of Fame awaits Stevens.

Lee Mellon
04-20-2002, 11:34 AM
A small cage in a neighborhood zoo awaits Stevens. Naslunds shot was very good. Had Hasek not been back, it would have been a quick pass to Bertuzzi who was streaking in on the left. That's half the reason Hasek was back.

Maine-iac
04-20-2002, 07:06 PM
I predicted last night's loss and predict the next game a win for the Kings at Pepsi. Then two wins for the Kings at Staples. More later...

Gee, Frummie, not today. Guess you'll have to polish up the old crystal ball and try again.

It's a safe bet you won't be polishing the Stanley Cup. :)

Shrek
04-22-2002, 10:52 AM
It's a little quiet in Gamma Quadrant these days :)With the way the Wings have been playing, there isn't much to thump my chest about. I only wish I had documented my feelings on the acquisition of Hasek somewhere. If they played with the passion I'm seeing in the Boston/Montreal series this would be one game from being over instead of needing 3 of 4 to win. (At least) Half their line-up should be embarassed that they aren't playing as well on 2 legs as Stevie Y is on 1. Their 'grinders' have gone soft, and not too many of 'em want to work in the corners. Finally, I still want to know why Duchesne is even playing.

frummie
04-22-2002, 12:49 PM
Maine-iac,

Especially if the refs are giving it to you like in Game 1, not reviewing the "no-goal." But we have you where we want you now, just like we spotted the Dead Wings at 0-2, then swept the next four.

Anyone got any Windex (for my crystal ball)? :lol: (I hate this emoticon, the top lip moving when it laughs. I keep trying it myself.)

Big D
04-22-2002, 12:53 PM
Half their line-up should be embarassed that they aren't playing as well on 2 legs as Stevie Y is on 1.

How true. The only guys that seem to care are Stevie, Shanahan, Larionov, Chelios and Lidstrom. I guess McCarty is trying, but he is way too far past his prime to make a difference. Sergei Fedorov in particular should be humiliated. The guy is supposed to be one of the best players in the world and he is being decisively outplayed by a guy with a wrecked knee and a guy that is 41 years old. It says a lot about the talent level of Yzerman, Shanahan, Larionov, Chelios and Lidstrom that Detroit even had a chance to win the first two games.

egg
04-22-2002, 01:09 PM
Sergei Fedorov in particular should be humiliated. The guy is supposed to be one of the best players in the world and he is being decisively outplayed by a guy with a wrecked knee and a guy that is 41 years old.

He should still be humiliated from last years performance in the playoffs, when he didn't back check in the 3rd period when their season was on the line. The guy hasn't been the same since that b*tch Kournakova (sp) came into his life.

Dr T Non-Fan
04-22-2002, 02:00 PM
That's what he gets for hanging with a certified loser.
These Red Wings already have their rings. That's why they're soft. Bowman needs to show his expertise, if they're going to get past Vancouver.

Now, a few wins in L.A. should liven their series up.

Shrek
04-22-2002, 03:33 PM
Well it's refreshing to see Hull has returned to form (http://espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2002/s/2002/0420/1371806.html). With 0 points and a -2 rating, you'd think he'd keep his yap shut.

I would have included Sergei as one of the few playing with some passion.

McCarty (30) is too far past his prime? What prime was that?

frummie
04-23-2002, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the Windex. My crystal ball is clear again.

Game: Kings 3, Avs 1.

Series: Kings 1, Avs 2

See you tonight for the Staples sweep!

Dr T Non-Fan
04-23-2002, 03:01 PM
That was nice! Too bad I can't participate in "Turn Off the TV Week" in full. I waited until the kids were asleep and watched the last period.

Forsberg has the most unusual eyes, doesn't he? Like robot eyes or something.
L.A. only has to win one in Denver. I can only hope a friend can call with a spare ticket. I can dream! It's happened last year at that most memorable Detroit game.

Mtl guru
04-23-2002, 11:03 PM
Habs win 5-3!

Another great game by Koivu.

And a new strategy by Boston : move the net if the puck is going in.

Boston self-confidence will take a hit. Sunday they barely win a game they led 4-0 and now they lose a game they led 3-1.

Hanse
04-23-2002, 11:53 PM
You heard it here (http://www.actuary.ca/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3685&start=18) first. ...the Bruins have blown more third period leads than any other team in the playoffs.Habs have outscored the B's 8-1 in the final period.

Anyone who says they though Lalime and Johnson would be leading in GAA through 3 games is a liar.

Mtl guru
04-24-2002, 12:03 AM
Lalime is indeed a big surprise for Ottawa. Didn't he win his firsts 20 games with Pittsburgh? Maybe just a confidence thing.

And don't forget for the Habs that Audette was injured to an arm and his legs are as rested as in october. Big plus for the speed.

Bonnie
04-24-2002, 09:56 AM
I am just very relieved the Isles won their first home playoff game in 8 years. They really needed the confidence booster they got last night. And my house is a happier place as well.

Botsy
04-24-2002, 11:02 AM
Stevie Y kickin' a** and taking names. Is there nothing he can't do?

Go Wings!

Shrek
04-24-2002, 11:23 AM
Stevie Y kickin' a** and taking names. Is there nothing he can't do?Yeah, get Brett Hull to back-check. If the Wings had 20 guys playing with Stevie's intensity, the series would be over. Watching Hull makes me want to puke!

Maine-iac
04-24-2002, 01:10 PM
Frummie, Frummie. You must have breathed too hard on the crystal and fogged it again. You can keep the Windex. Just pass me the cup polish.

Roy hits his stride.
Col. 1, LA 0

Series 3-1

See you in Denver!

General Kenobi (ret.)
04-24-2002, 01:43 PM
The heck with Roy. Who knew Johnson could play like this?

Admittedly he was fortunate on the no-goal--I think he did make the save, but you could see the air go out of the Hawks after it was disallowed.

Dr T Non-Fan
04-24-2002, 01:44 PM
That was heartbreaking.
While I know that Colonado is a better team (and in Game 3 I don't believe they were ever short-handed -- very disciplined), I gotta hope for one more home game and a phone call. Both seem unlikely, but the bastard TicketMaster still has tickets available for Game 6. I'll need a lucky break to find $50 for a corner seat, and a go-sign from wife.

frummie
04-24-2002, 03:58 PM
Wha woke up, I'm ducking for cover! :(

Bonnie
04-25-2002, 10:35 AM
A penalty shot in the 3rd period of an exciting playoff game. What could be better than that!

Big D
04-25-2002, 12:25 PM
A penalty shot in the 3rd period of an exciting playoff game. What could be better than that!

How about a third period penalty shot that wasn't a horrendous call? From the Toronto Sun today:

Series officiating supervisor John D'Amico agreed with the call.

"It doesn't matter whether he came from the side or the front, it's (that) the scoring opportunity is taken away," D'Amico said, citing rule 91b. "Was there anybody between (Bates) and the goaltender? There wasn't. He was fouled. The referee (Watson) was in perfect position."

Let's take a look at NHL rule 91b (http://nhl.com/hockeyu/rulebook/rule91.html#b) from NHL.com (emphasis added)...

b) When a player, in control of the puck on the opponent's side of the center red line and having no other opponent to pass than the goalkeeper, is tripped or otherwise fouled from behind, thus preventing a reasonable scoring opportunity, a penalty shot shall be awarded to the non-offending side. Nevertheless, the Referee shall not stop play until the attacking side has lost possession of the puck to the defending side.

(NOTE 5) The intention of this Rule is to restore a reasonable scoring opportunity which has been lost by reason of a foul from behind when the foul is committed on the opponent's side of the red line.

"Control of the puck" means the act of propelling the puck with the stick. If while it is being propelled, the puck is touched by another player or his equipment, or hits the goal or goes free, the player shall no longer be considered to be "in control of the puck

So the rule explicitly states that it does matter whether the foul is from the side or behind. Maybe the director of officiating for the series should get the rules right. D'Amico should have come out and said something like "Its a fast game, refs are people and they make mistakes". These guys make split second judgements about a very fast game, and admitting that they sometimes goof shouldn't be a big deal. Even saying that the ref thought the foul was from behind would dissipate this controversy somewhat. Instead D'Amico makes a statement like that, implying that either the man responsible for monitoring the officiating doesn't know the rules, or he was deliberating misquoting the rule in order to save his own hide. Either way, it reflects badly on the league, and makes this story last a lot longer than it should. Should the play have been a penalty? I think so, but if judge by what both teams had been getting away with all game, no.

Crying about the officals aside, the Leafs should never been in a position to lose on that call. The game was in the bag, but Curtis Joseph blew it. Osgood wasn't at all interested in winning this game either judging by the way he played, but the Leafs couldn't capitalize.

Big D
04-25-2002, 12:47 PM
On a lighter note, while I was looking up Rule 91b, I found this (http://nhl.com/hockeyu/rulebook/rule73.html) one. Can you imagine if they cracked down on it? There wouldn't be any players left to play in the game. :lol:

Drewby
04-25-2002, 01:45 PM
I didn't see the game, but I heard a talking head comment that the penalty called on Bobby Holik in the third against Carolina was a bad one.

Any comments?

Mtl guru
04-25-2002, 03:29 PM
And what about moving the net when the puck goes in?

Bonnie
04-25-2002, 03:31 PM
BigD,
Not being the hockey expert in the family, I asked my husband to respond to your post. Here is his reply:

"The foul was, in fact, from behind. Bates had skated around McCabe and moved past him, with a clear path to the goal. McCabe then dove and tripped him. Bates was moving from the wing to the front of the goal, so the tripping came from his side, but McCabe was still clearly behind, and thus the penalty shot was the correct call. D'Amico's explanation that it doesn't matter if it was from the side may or may not be correct, but that's irrelevant. The ref on the ice made the right call (for a change)."

In any case, it's now down to 2 out of 3, and we get to play another game at home. And that makes dh a happy man.

Tony the Tiger
04-25-2002, 04:46 PM
ESPN on the Islander penalty shot:

"Yes, Pat [Quinn], it was a questionable call. And, really, a very tough one to make in a split second. Personally, because Bates was attacking the net on an angle, I would've called a two-minute penalty. But, unlike Watson, I've had a chance to look at several replays."

http://msn.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2002/s/hradek0425.html

Jed the Humanoid
04-25-2002, 06:00 PM
Big D - I'm really sorry for that season-ending injury Mats suffered. Naaaaah, I hate Sundin. One of my favorite playoff moments was when Pierre Page, then Nordiques coach and GM started YELLING at Sundin on the bench for minutes, in the last game of a series against Montreal. That was great! And the apathy on Sundin's face was priceless.
:)

So, let's all start singing a little something for our Toronto friends:

Naaaa Naaa Naaaaa Naaaa
Naaaa Naaa Naaaaa Naaaa
Heeeyyyy Heeeyyyy Heeeyyyy
Gooood-Bye !

Mtl guru
04-25-2002, 06:02 PM
I saw that part of the game and thought : penalty shot. With the replay it is less obvious, but the ref in the action has no replay, and my first reaction was for a penalty shot, too.

A bad decision is made when the ref should have seen the call without replay.

Drzy
04-26-2002, 12:38 AM
Excellent performance from the Blues, but I bet they'll have to make it to at least the conference finals before they get any respect.

Mtl guru
04-26-2002, 08:33 AM
Looks like Boston found a way to win... disgraceful

Ben Kenobi
04-26-2002, 09:28 AM
Excellent performance from the Blues, but I bet they'll have to make it to at least the conference finals before they get any respect.

No kidding.

At least the space ranger can be happier--looks like Hasek decided to start playing.

Shrek
04-26-2002, 11:29 AM
Now if we could only get Hull and Robitaille to join. And, oh yeah, get Scotty to scratch Duchesne. Hullo? You got Slegr at the trading deadline, and he's been a healthy scratch for 5 games now.

Big D
04-26-2002, 01:08 PM
Big D - I'm really sorry for that season-ending injury Mats suffered.

It may not be a season ending injury. All the Leafs have to do is make third round and he could be back. They have lost two in a row, but the series is still 2-2, with 2 games left at the ACC. In addition, the normally intelligent Mike Peca said some very stupid things in the papers that should inspire them.

Naaaa Naaa Naaaaa Naaaa
Naaaa Naaa Naaaaa Naaaa
Gooood-Bye !

We'll see whose team hears this tune first.

Dr T Non-Fan
04-26-2002, 01:17 PM
Another exciting Av-King game.
Say what you will about L.A. fans, but the King fans are in a league of their own in this town. The place will be rocking.

Shrek
04-26-2002, 02:39 PM
Say what you will about L.A. fans, but the King fans are in a league of their own in this town. And I'd bet all of a dozen of them are native to LA.

Pseudolus
04-26-2002, 02:51 PM
Is anyone "native" to LA?

Dr T Non-Fan
04-26-2002, 02:52 PM
I know more fan-natives than that myself. Now, their parents are usually from oot of the area.

frummie
04-26-2002, 03:51 PM
I was born in Santa Monica, CA. I'm a native and I'm a Kings fan. Since 1973. (Way before Gretzky). Back in 1978-79, when the Kings were in the second round each year, not only would they sell out the Forum, they would sell out the "Closed curcuit" theatres (in the days before cable). The games are lots of fun 'cause the fans are great.

frummie
04-26-2002, 03:55 PM
DTNF, were you able to get tickets for Saturday?

What a series! Its like a "can you top this" thing.

Game 3: Felix beats Wha 3-0
Game 4: Wha beats Felix 1-0
Game 5: Felix beats Wha 1-0 (overtime)

Shrek
04-26-2002, 04:11 PM
Now, their parents are usually from oot of the area.CTM

Ben Kenobi
04-26-2002, 04:31 PM
McLaren is suspended for at least one game. I know he says it was a clean shot, but I'm frankly not buying it. I also think the Canadians would do better to focus on winning than on revenge. Anyone else want to comment?

Maine-iac
04-26-2002, 05:05 PM
You can beat the Avs/Kings series for excitement.

My original prediction was Avs in 6. We'll be seeing really soon . . . .

JO
04-26-2002, 05:16 PM
Yes I will comment. That was completely disgraceful and unethical from McLaren. He litteraly had his arm out at face height even before Zednik cut to the center. It was clearly intentional as Zednik was by far the greatest menace for the Bruins.

Q : How do you increase your chances of winning?
A : By injuring the other team's best players through cheap shots.

Markov almost got his knee ripped off by Guerin too. Another great way of putting a good player out of order..

Yes, Montreal should focus on winning but someone must also teach Boston that this conduct is unacceptable. This morning I couldn't really think of a player capable of doing the "job" for Montreal (most are just smaller than almost all Bruins' players). But I just found out that they called Matt O'Dette from Les citadelles de Québec. He's a 6'5, 230 pound goon who wants to play in the NHL at all "costs"..

I have tickets for tomorrow's game hehehehe

Shrek
04-26-2002, 05:19 PM
McLaren is suspended for at least one game. I know he says it was a clean shot, but I'm frankly not buying it. I also think the Canadians would do better to focus on winning than on revenge. Anyone else want to comment?I have yet to see tape of the hit, so I can't comment on that, but yes the Habs would be better served by focusing on winning rather than revenge. Boston is much bigger, and Montreal would lose a "cheap shot" contest pretty quickly - plus, they've lost Zednik, do they need to lose another player or two to suspension?

egg
04-26-2002, 06:16 PM
I didn't see the hit, but from the descriptions it sounds vicious. I have always believed that on something like this the offending player should miss as many games as the victim. If Zednik is going to be out for the entire playoffs then, so should McLaran.

Dr T Non-Fan
04-26-2002, 06:26 PM
Cheap seats are up top in the corners. $40. Normally $100 in a package of four that includes 4 hot dogs and drinks.
I couldn't clear some of the items on my shhhedule. One of which is a party with some native King fans.
I'll try to live with the ABC broadcast (maybe it bought Bob Miller for the day). This game will be another hard-fought battle. That IS excitement, Maniacal Toon Vehicle.

Mtl guru
04-26-2002, 07:10 PM
If you look at the play you can see that not only Mclaren does have his arm up, but he take a BACKSWING before making contact.

And Boston's Gm says that was a "clean" hit that didn't diserved even a minor?

And Wayne Cashman is not better : after all was over he didn't find any better than insulting the medical team. C'mon insulting the medical team?

Ben Kenobi
04-26-2002, 08:52 PM
See the hit here (http://www.canada.com/montreal/globaltv/info/video/habhit.ram). I think McLaren was clearly lining him up and teeing off.

Cannonball
04-28-2002, 11:57 AM
Avs and Kings tied up at 3-3. Game 7 should be fun!

Dr T Non-Fan
04-28-2002, 03:59 PM
Oh, yeah!
That last period sure was fast, wasn't it? Not a lot of stoppage in play. Maybe I'm mistaken.
Many years ago, the Kings made a habit of knocking out former world champions.
Year 1 A.G.: beat Edmonton.
Year 2 A.G.: beat Calgary.

Maine-iac
04-29-2002, 09:15 AM
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Should be a great game tonight.

Shrek
04-29-2002, 09:50 AM
I've put the kiss of death on the Avs by selecting Roy as one of my ESPN Challenge goalies tonight. Pick 2 per night, and I've had something like 3 or 4 goalies win of my 22 or 24 choices (last night I had both starting goalies so I couldn't lose). Picked Hasek for games 1 & 2, switched to Cloutier in game 3. I kind of have mixed feelings about it though - I think I rather face St. Louis in round 2 (skip the 10 ET starts and all the travel - I have a very bad feeling that there's gonna be a 10 ET start on Tuesday night - exam eve. Then what? :-? sure wish I'd have thought about this when I made my picks.) Go Avs!

Jar-Jar Binks
04-29-2002, 09:55 AM
Maine-iac beesa framin' that one, Buzzy.

Maine-iac
04-29-2002, 10:04 AM
Maine-iac beesa framin' that one, Buzzy.

You betcha.

Thanks Buzz. Thanks a whole lot. :(

Bonnie
04-29-2002, 12:45 PM
JO said:
Q : How do you increase your chances of winning?
A : By injuring the other team's best players through cheap shots

Sounds a lot like the Maple Leafs strategy. Game 7 tomorrow should be a bloodbath, especially if the 3rd period last night is any indication. The Isles were right on in having Michael Buffer start the game!

Jed the Humanoid
04-29-2002, 01:25 PM
Question for So Cal posters : Are the games broadcasted on any AM radio station? (I don't have cable so I probably have 0 chance to see it on TV).

This game 7 will be exciting and I wouldn't mind going all old school and sitting next to my radio to follow the action... Or maybe I'll go to a sports pub or something...

JO
04-29-2002, 03:43 PM
Bonnie I agree with you. Toronto is playing nasty hockey, I hope the Islanders can take game 7 despite Peca's absence.

The Bruins could be playing golf tomorrow, GO HABS!! :D

Big D
04-29-2002, 04:27 PM
Bonnie, JO:

Have you guys have ever heard of a hip check? There was nothing wrong with Tucker's hit on Peca. If Peca hadn't been so pleased with his own pass he would still be playing. Sometimes legal hits result in injuries. Live with it.

Roberts on Jonsson is a tough call. I would have throw him out, but still wouldn't have given a suspension. Roberts lined him up from the next area code and is full value for the charging major, but all Jonsson has to do is turn the other way and he skates away from the hit and nobody cares. Hockey Night in Canada had some interesting footage of one of Jonsson's first concussions, maybe the first. The play was identical. Jonsson goes back to the corner for the puck with a forechecker in hot pursuit. Instead of skating around the net he tries to get cute and turns back. As they say in the comics, BLAMMO! Some guys don't seem to learn the lesson about protecting themselves (see Lindros, Eric).

Big D
04-29-2002, 04:39 PM
To me, the dirtiest thing to happen in this series was the incident between Corson and Cairns last night. The Isles claim to have footage that shows Corson kicking at Cairns but I haven't seen it. The attempted head-butt, however, was very clear, even if it isn't clear that contact was made. Both of them should sit Game 7 for that crap, and if Corson did kick, he should get more than that.

Bonnie
04-29-2002, 05:01 PM
BigD,

Yes, Tucker gave Peca a hip check, there was no callable offense. However, he was ducking down a bit trying to take out the knee. He definitely got away with a dirty hit.

What I saw of Corson kicking looked like a knee to Cairns' chest after Cairns was down. I didn't know about the head butt, but there were some good punches thrown. And who was Domi picking on. That was Bates' first fight all year.

Expect a lot of blood on the ice tomorrow.

Mtl guru
04-29-2002, 05:36 PM
GO HABS GO!
GO ISLANDERS GO!

People say that hockey is a contact sport, but look, there are other contact sports but NHL is the only place where aiming the head and hitting from behind is not punished.

What would happen in NFL if a player would go and hit a guy not having the ball on the back with his helmet?

Mtl guru
04-29-2002, 09:07 PM
The attempted head-butt, however, was very clear, even if it isn't clear that contact was made.

Well, from the other angle, he was almost 2 feet away from Corson and it is very clear it was not an attempted head-butt.

Mtl guru
04-29-2002, 10:52 PM
HABS WIN!!!

Big D
04-29-2002, 11:04 PM
The attempted head-butt, however, was very clear, even if it isn't clear that contact was made.

Well, from the other angle, he was almost 2 feet away from Corson and it is very clear it was not an attempted head-butt.

You're right. I have since seen that angle.

Congrats to the Habs. Hopefully they can handle Carolina and have a Toronto-Montreal semi-final. Theodore has finally gotten hot after a slow start to the series.

Anonymous
04-30-2002, 12:17 AM
And who was Domi picking on. That was Bates' first fight all year.

except Domi didn't fight Bates, he fought Cummins who was only dressed for that purpose so he can hardly complain

Bates was hooked up with Tucker, so neither one of them is a big guy, hardly a mismatch

Mtl guru
04-30-2002, 12:47 AM
Hopefully they can handle Carolina and have a Toronto-Montreal semi-final.

With the Canucks out, there are only three teams who can bring the Cup back. But I must admit I don't like the way the Leafs have played
in the series.

If we can have Habs-Leafs in east final that would be great!

Not sure I would say this today! :-?

Jed the Humanoid
04-30-2002, 12:55 AM
Felicitations guru !

My Kings are losing now (3-0) to Colorado so the next best thing would be a Montreal-Colorado Finals. Canadiens/Nordiques one more time !!

Maine-iac
04-30-2002, 09:56 AM
Well, congrats to the Kings for another exciting series.
It was compelling, and compared to some of the other series,
pretty discplined and professional.

On to round 2!

Congrats to the Habs. Even though their victory pretty much sinks me
in the hockey pool. Still nice to see them advance.

Perhaps we will meet in the finals . . . .

JO
04-30-2002, 10:34 AM
Felicitations guru !

My Kings are losing now (3-0) to Colorado so the next best thing would be a Montreal-Colorado Finals. Canadiens/Nordiques one more time !!

The Nordiques are dead!! It took me 7 years to get over it, 6 years to get back into watching hockey after I saw the Avalanche win the Cup in 1996, right after they moved the team. And if there's a Montreal/Colorado finals, I'll cheer for Montreal. :P

Bonnie
04-30-2002, 11:59 AM
And who was Domi picking on. That was Bates' first fight all year.

except Domi didn't fight Bates, he fought Cummins who was only dressed for that purpose so he can hardly complain

Bates was hooked up with Tucker, so neither one of them is a big guy, hardly a mismatch

Okay, so I'm not a hockey genious. You'll have to forgive the occasional unintentional slip. I'm more of a hockey widow than a diehard fan, but since we had season tickets and my boys are becoming addicted, I try my best to go along.

However, it was still a mismatch with our nicest guy against Toronto's biggest thug. And now Corson is out. Can't wait for tonight!

frummie
04-30-2002, 12:57 PM
No, Congrats to you, Maine-iac! You did it again. I'll see if I can rub out that Stanley Cup from my Avatar... Nah, I'll enjoy my "internet fantasy" for a little while longer! Now, on to that second round...of golf!

For next year:

Question for So Cal posters : Are the games broadcasted on any AM radio station? (I don't have cable so I probably have 0 chance to see it on TV).

This game 7 will be exciting and I wouldn't mind going all old school and sitting next to my radio to follow the action... Or maybe I'll go to a sports pub or something...

King games are on Radio 1110 KSPN. No free TV games AT ALL, ALL YEAR! :( And Bob Miller, the greatest Hockey caster, is on cable TV too! I don't have cable either. Got to listen to Nick Nickson, who is just eh. Last night when the Av scored, I kept hearing loud roars, then a few seconds later, "And he scores." Those few seconds are gut-renching, then the guillotine falls. Miller is much faster on the call. The Ducks have free TV games. :-? Where is the justice?

Shrek
04-30-2002, 12:58 PM
However, it was still a mismatch with our nicest guy against Toronto's biggest thug. And now Corson is out. Can't wait for tonight!I'm not sure if you're implying Cummins is a nice guy, or Tucker is the Leafs biggest thug, but I characterize either as inaccurate. Of course, if my name was Darcy, I'd probably carry a big chip on my shoulder, too.

Bonnie
04-30-2002, 01:13 PM
As I was already corrected by SugarDaddy, the fight was Bates vs. Tucker. I am saying Bates is a nice guy and Tucker is a thug. I wish someone would wipe that "Who me?" smirk off his face.

Anonymous
04-30-2002, 01:22 PM
all from nhl.com

Shawn Bates @ 6'0" & 205 vs. Darcy Tucker @ 5'11" & 182
Eric Cairns @ 6'6" & 238 vs. Shayne Corson @ 6'1" & 202
Jim Cummins @ 6'2" & 212 vs. Tie Domi @ 5'10" & 207

i.e. there were two mismatches in size and neither favoured the Leafs, but Cairns never turned down his chance to pummel a smaller guy ... that's hockey

Anonymous
04-30-2002, 01:26 PM
I'm sure the people in Toronto think Darcy's a really nice guy too, you just have to get to know him. :) I know people in Montreal USED to like him ... and Tampa Bay ...

Jed the Humanoid
04-30-2002, 02:53 PM
Felicitations guru !

The Nordiques are dead!! It took me 7 years to get over it, 6 years to get back into watching hockey after I saw the Avalanche win the Cup in 1996, right after they moved the team. And if there's a Montreal/Colorado finals, I'll cheer for Montreal. :P

Errr... Am I still the only token frog around here? JO , are you one of us? Or are you just someone from New England who liked to cheer for the most electrifying hockey team ever ?

I still like Colorado for the few guys remaining. Sakic, Foote, Forsberg, errr... shoot I think that's it. OK, Nordiques are dead. Oh... and Jacques Cloutier as assistant coach! GO NORDIQUES GO!

What the heck, now that the Kings are history, I'll jump on the Montreal bandwagon, for the first time in my life. But please, don't tell my dad.

JO
04-30-2002, 03:07 PM
Errr... Am I still the only token frog around here? JO , are you one of us? Or are you just someone from New England who liked to cheer for the most electrifying hockey team ever ?

Errr...Je ne suis pas parlez francais!! ¡Viva Méjico! yoohoo :D

JO
05-01-2002, 09:45 AM
So Toronto won. Congrats Big D! Sorry Bonnie..

Toronto vs. Ottawa, now THAT should be another great series! :P

Shrek
05-01-2002, 09:58 AM
All I can say is that I'm so glad our Game 3 (tues) is in St. Louis and not LA. I usually don't do heavy studying the night before an exam, but staying up until 1 am wouldn't have helped me in the exam the next morning.

Bonnie
05-01-2002, 11:07 AM
Congratulations to Big D and Toronto! It was a really good game, exciting to the end. I'm disappointed in the results, but confident we'll be back to the playoffs next year. Good luck in the rest of the playoffs!

Well, like my team is hanging up its jerseys, it's also time to hang up my avatar. I reserve the right to use it next year.

It's also time to switch to the satellite dish so my husband can watch his beloved Yankees. Darn Cablevision, but at least we get Tivo in the deal.

It's been nice chatting with you. Enjoy the rest of the season.

So long. http://www.centre-molson.com/francais/calendrier/images/logo_NYI.gif

Maine-iac
05-01-2002, 12:25 PM
So long, Bonnie, from a fellow hockey-widow-turned fan! See you next season. :)

Tony the Tiger
05-01-2002, 02:06 PM
Big D - I'm really sorry for that season-ending injury Mats suffered. Naaaaah, I hate Sundin. One of my favorite playoff moments was when Pierre Page, then Nordiques coach and GM started YELLING at Sundin on the bench for minutes, in the last game of a series against Montreal. That was great! And the apathy on Sundin's face was priceless.
:)

So, let's all start singing a little something for our Toronto friends:

Naaaa Naaa Naaaaa Naaaa
Naaaa Naaa Naaaaa Naaaa
Gooood-Bye !

A bit premature, eh jed?

Abducens
05-01-2002, 03:08 PM
Not too premature for the Flyers (and Buckhalter) though:

Naaaa Naaa Naaaaa Naaaa
Naaaa Naaa Naaaaa Naaaa
Gooood-Bye !

Tony the Tiger
05-01-2002, 03:35 PM
Abby, I see you are back to copying other posts. No surprise.

Abducens
05-01-2002, 03:39 PM
So who do you like, Ki-Jana or Dorsey? LOL

Tony the Tiger
05-01-2002, 03:49 PM
Either one is good as a backup to Duce. I am more concerned with replacing Trotter.

Abducens
05-01-2002, 04:48 PM
Typical. Your team has crapped out so you have to piss on the Isles. Lots of class. Anyway, Duce should last his usual 5 weeks or so before he remembers he has no desire and gets hurt. Got Rashan Salaam on speed-dial?

Kid Rock
05-01-2002, 05:43 PM
Not too premature for the Flyers (and Buckhalter) though:

Naaaa Naaa Naaaaa Naaaa
Naaaa Naaa Naaaaa Naaaa
Gooood-Bye !

Actually, it sounds better in French. The accoustics in the Forum were great for this song. Anywhere else is just a cheap imitation.

JO
05-01-2002, 06:36 PM
You're right about this one Kid Rock, although I would say it used to sound even better in the Colisée de Québec after The Nordiques beat the Canadiens!! :D

Good o'l memories from the 80's-early 90's.. :-?

Mtl guru
05-01-2002, 07:18 PM
You're right about this one Kid Rock, although I would say it used to sound even better in the Colisée de Québec after The Nordiques beat the Canadiens!! :D

Good o'l memories from the 80's-early 90's.. :-?

Until 93!

OK, I was a little affraid after the first 2 games in that series, but things changed and we won that cup!

Jed the Humanoid
05-01-2002, 08:00 PM
Pis le but de Kerry Fraser, y'etait bon. OK ?

Mtl guru
05-01-2002, 08:51 PM
Pis le but de Kerry Fraser, y'etait bon. OK ?

Encore LE fameux but .

Comme on dit: la foule est le 7e joueur et l'arbitre le 8e.

Talking of refs, it is so bad now that every team can claim to be cheated and show a couple of bad calls per games.

yeppers-wsmn
05-01-2002, 11:33 PM
Hurricanes over Canadiens in 5!!!

'nuff said :evil:

Tony the Tiger
05-02-2002, 10:57 AM
Typical. Your team has crapped out so you have to piss on the Isles. Lots of class. Anyway, Duce should last his usual 5 weeks or so before he remembers he has no desire and gets hurt. Got Rashan Salaam on speed-dial?

There you go making stuff up again. Duce played 5 games in 2000, but played 13 last year and 16 in each of 1997, 1998 1nd 1999.

BTW, who's the third receiver now for the Rams? Eric Crouch?

Anonymous
05-02-2002, 11:48 AM
did I miss the renaming of the Super Bowl or did some people come to the wrong place ?

JO
05-02-2002, 12:12 PM
Yeah, why don't you guys start a topic of your own and fight in there over whatever argument you're trying to win. This way everyone will be happy.

Tony the Tiger
05-02-2002, 07:06 PM
I won't be happy

Abducens
05-03-2002, 09:06 AM
>>BTW, who's the third receiver now for the Rams? Eric Crouch?

Terrance Wilkins. Do the Eagles even have 3 WRs on their roster? The Rams have plans for Eric Crouch that the Eagles wouldn't even think to try, let alone have the supporting cast to pull them off.

Shrek
05-03-2002, 09:42 AM
Cujo:
http://www.widerview.com/v261.gif

Ben Kenobi
05-03-2002, 09:54 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but what the heck is that?

Maine-iac
05-03-2002, 09:57 AM
I was thinking a Foley Food Mill, with two tomatoes, but if that's what it is, I don't get the point.

Unless you are saying he is like a sieve?

Shrek
05-03-2002, 11:07 AM
I wasn't going to spend all day looking for a good pic of a sieve.

Clearly the hand is bothering him. How long do the Leafs ride him?

Who are those imposters, and what have they done with the real Sens?

Tony the Tiger
05-03-2002, 02:57 PM
>>BTW, who's the third receiver now for the Rams? Eric Crouch?

Terrance Wilkins. Do the Eagles even have 3 WRs on their roster? The Rams have plans for Eric Crouch that the Eagles wouldn't even think to try, let alone have the supporting cast to pull them off.

I guess the rams out-thought everyone else who would have picked Crouch in round 5.

Abducens
05-03-2002, 04:09 PM
>>I guess the rams out-thought everyone else who would have picked Crouch in round 5.

No point in taking chances when you have no gaps to fill. You might understand someday.

Tony the Tiger
05-03-2002, 05:40 PM
How about those gaps in the defense that Tom Brady found?

Ouch!

Abducens
05-06-2002, 09:51 AM
Yes, I know, the Patriots are your heroes ever since the Eagles crapped out. Try to hang on to the ball for more than 2 plays this December. "Ouch."

Maine-iac
05-06-2002, 09:55 AM
In my neck of the woods we have 3 stations available locally. CBS, PBS, and CBC. No cable. So, we have a satellite dish. Colorado and San Jose play late Saturday afternoon. Game on ABC. We have 2 ABC affiliates available on the satellite. NYC and LA. NEITHER OPTED TO PICK UP THE GAME.

Colorado wins 8 - 2 and we didn't see a second of it. Just heard some of it on radio. :(

I REALLY hate that ESPN has doled out some of the games to ABC. Very unreliable.

Lee Mellon
05-06-2002, 10:06 AM
You really should see if you can get cable from that civilized country to the north. I've watched all the hockey I can bear on CBC these last two weeks. It has been easier with Toronto winning on Saturday and the Habs winning last night. The second goal last night, scored by Markov, brought me rigth out of my seat. Why doesn't Brind-Amour wear a mask?

Maine-iac
05-06-2002, 10:30 AM
I can watch CBC in the clear. And I do if the game of choice is being carried by them. Unfortunately, Colorado is not playing a Canadian team at this point, so they are not the CBC's choice to broadcast unless there is nothing else Canadian going on.

You can't get cable here at all, Canadian or otherwise. I believe it is possible to get Canadian satellite service, but it is not kosher and you have to set up a P.O. box in Canada to do it. Not worth it.

Big D
05-06-2002, 12:49 PM
About Cujo...

The Toronto Sun did the Leafs and their fans a great big favour after game 1 of this series: They had his picture under a big headline reading Joe-Sieve. If Game 2 is any indication, it has lit a fire under him. Joseph got is revenge at these reporters after game 2. Apparently he didn't come out to be interviewed until the deadline for the Sun reporters had passed.

Lee Mellon
05-08-2002, 12:40 AM
Maime-iac: It was on ESPN, so I suppose you must have seen that wonderful game Monday night?

Is there a better goalie than Theodore this year? The refs are letting Carolina whack at him and he still doesn't get ruffled. Now if we could just get Zednick back on the ice...

Maine-iac
05-08-2002, 09:18 AM
Yep. I have no trouble getting the games that we LOSE . . . :evil:

Cannonball
05-08-2002, 11:15 AM
I'm still a-hopin' for a Habs-Leafs Conference Final! Though I suppose Habs-Sens would OK, too, but for my standing in the Hockey Pool. :x

Mtl guru
05-08-2002, 09:25 PM
Is there a better goalie than Theodore this year? .

It's Theo-door, and the door is shut! :o 'Canes are almost done.

Big D
05-09-2002, 10:01 AM
The Leafs finally played a good game last night. It is amazing what happens when you quit whining about the refs and just play.

If Montreal makes the final, Theodore has to win the Conn Smythe whether they win the Cup or not. I haven't seen a goalie dominate this much in, well, ever.

JO
05-09-2002, 04:25 PM
If Montreal makes the final, Theodore has to win the Conn Smythe whether they win the Cup or not. I haven't seen a goalie dominate this much in, well, ever.

I have to agree with that statement. He was "average" the first 4 games against Boston but then he suddenly woke up. This guy has just been unbelievable ever since. Theodore vs. Lalime would be an interesting duel but Theodore vs. Roy would top it all !

Hey Big D, so how is the Ontario series? I don't get to see the games here. Are they playing clean hockey?

Drzy
05-09-2002, 06:47 PM
I note the lack of the word "Blues" in this thread. That will change soon....

Abducens
05-09-2002, 07:22 PM
As in, "the Blues as usual cannot crack the elite of the West." Though hoping to be wrong.

Big D
05-10-2002, 09:09 AM
JO,

I guess you could call it clean because there has been any of the nastiness that characterized the Islander series. Ottawa as a team doesn't let themselves get caught up in that crap. They are too disciplined. This article (http://www.canoe.ca/TorontoSports/ts.ts-05-10-0118.html) in the Toronto Sun gives a good summary of where the series is at, and where it could be heading. Ottawa has looked good, but I still think my Leafs are going to win.

Shrek
05-10-2002, 09:23 AM
I note the lack of the word "Blues" in this thread. That will change soon....Blues lose Pronger, series to follow. Sorry, but he means way too much to the Blues. I don't think the Blues have a realistic shot of taking 3 straight from the Wings without him - of course I don't think they had much of a shot of doing that with him, either.

Looks like the Habs learned something from Boston - how to blow a 3rd period lead. That bench minor for :swear: really hurt.

JO
05-10-2002, 02:55 PM
Looks like the Habs learned something from Boston - how to blow a 3rd period lead. That bench minor for :swear: really hurt.

The use of that emoticon was sooo appropriate! :)

Lee Mellon
05-11-2002, 09:12 AM
Nice "no call" in Toronto last night. I predict Alffedson (sic?) will be picking his teeth off the ice next game.

go Habs!

Cannonball
05-12-2002, 04:04 PM
Uh oh. :o Sharks up on Avs 3-2. Yikes!

Captain America
05-12-2002, 08:05 PM
Nice "no call" in Toronto last night. I predict Alffedson (sic?) will be picking his teeth off the ice next game.

go Habs!

Something tells me you're weren't singing that song when Tucker tried ending Peca's career. Tucker's a scumbag. Good riddance.

Lee Mellon
05-13-2002, 12:48 AM
Tucker's hit on Peca was clean, legal and right in his face. Peca's too stubborn to dodge a check. Why didn't they call Alfredsson for checking from behind?

Get familiar with the rules, Captain, then come back and talk some smack.

Captain America
05-13-2002, 08:59 AM
Tucker approached Peca as though he was going to hit him high, and Peca braced for the blow. Tucker then dropped low at the last minute to blast through Peca's knees. Rules or no rules, the intent was to severely injure. Any casual observer can see that. Tucker is a scumbag. Good riddance.

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/nhl/2002/0510/photo/r_tucker_ti.jpg

Lee Mellon
05-13-2002, 10:16 AM
and you are certainly casual. A blast to the knees draws a penalty. Tucker caught Peca in the thighs. Learn the rules, watch the game, learn some anger management or lace up some skates.

Captain America
05-13-2002, 10:19 AM
A blast to the knees draws a penalty.

Yes, I know.

So does checking from behind.

Tony the Tiger
05-13-2002, 10:45 AM
Is there a better goalie than Theodore this year? .

It's Theo-door, and the door is shut! :o 'Canes are almost done.

Almost done with Montreal!

Abducens
05-13-2002, 11:12 AM
>>and you are certainly casual. A blast to the knees draws a penalty. Tucker caught Peca in the thighs. Learn the rules, watch the game, learn some anger management or lace up some skates.

Since there wasn't a penalty called, obviously Tucker did no wrong vs. Peca. But the same logic of "no penalty = no problem" doesn't apply when it's Alfredson (sp) taking out Tucker. What a joke! I second that: Tucker is a scumbag. Good riddance.

Maine-iac
05-13-2002, 11:48 AM
Well, it's do or die for my Avs tonight. SO LETS DO IT!

That was some Toronto-Ottawa game last night. (Gee, I didn't think it would be possible to make Domi's face any uglier, but I was wrong!)

Big D
05-13-2002, 01:07 PM
This was in the Toronto Sun about Domi's injury:

Bryan McCabe and Gary Roberts scored on the ensuing power play, while three Leafs doctors struggled to patch Domi.

"I'm not too good with blood, stitches and needles," said Domi, whose team won the game 4-3. "The cut went right down to my skull. I took some (internal) stitches and about 15 outside. But I didn't care. If it means we'll win, I'll go through it again."

Domi painted a frantic, but hilarious picture of what was going on in the Corel Centre clinic.

"The doctors were laughing because they know how much I hate this stuff," Domi said. "They were holding on to my skates, my arms and my helmet while they worked on me.

The mental image this generates just cracks me up.

I was glad that the Leafs have left payback on Alfredsson for some other time. Knocking them out of the playoffs is be a much better revenge. Though Corson did give Danny-boy a little "we still remember" shot with a couple of minutes to go. Hopefully Corson won't do something stupid if the score gets lopsided in Game 7. He deson't need another suspension. If you are wondering why I am more concerned about Corson doing something, rather than Domi or Belak, its because Tucker and Corson are brothers in law. Tucker married Corson's sister.

For the record, I don't think Alfredsson should have been suspended. Given a five minute major and a game misconduct, yes. That hit was worse than both the Berg and Persson hits that earned 5 and a game. Would Tucker have been penalized and suspended if he had hit Alfredsson like that? You bet he would. Refs are people. Tucker dives and is constantly harping at the refs, so of course in a split second judgement they are not going to believe him. Tucker made his bed and now he and his teammates have to lay in it. It struck me funny that Tucker was crying about the league having different rules for its stars than for everyone else like this is some sort of new development. Game 7 is going to be a beauty.

Shrek
05-13-2002, 02:10 PM
The sad part of the Alfredsson play is that not only was he not called for anything (take your pick - checking from behind, boarding, or interference), he was allowed to continue play and score the game winning goal. It's hard to develop a healthy disdain for the Loafs when they get screwed like this.

Big D
05-13-2002, 02:12 PM
It's hard to develop a healthy disdain for the Loafs when they get screwed like this.

I'm sure the disdain will come when the Leafs win the Cup over the Dead Things.

Shrek
05-13-2002, 02:14 PM
(Gee, I didn't think it would be possible to make Domi's face any uglier, but I was wrong!)Granted, hockey players (especially veterans) aren't too pretty, but if you wanna talk ugly, I submit Rod Brind'Amour. Yikes!

Shrek
05-13-2002, 02:15 PM
It's hard to develop a healthy disdain for the Loafs when they get screwed like this.

I'm sure the disdain will come when the Leafs win the Cup over the Dead Things.

Right now, the only thing I can feel for them is pity. :viola:

Maine-iac
05-13-2002, 02:35 PM
(Gee, I didn't think it would be possible to make Domi's face any uglier, but I was wrong!)Granted, hockey players (especially veterans) aren't too pretty, but if you wanna talk ugly, I submit Rod Brind'Amour. Yikes!

Jaromir Jagr is no centerfold either. But I've got to give the nod to Domi because he's got that one eyebrow for both eyes thing going. :D

Dr T Non-Fan
05-13-2002, 03:04 PM
And that second eyebrow made of thread.
Mainy-chick, are you ready to sit out until October? Now that some personal business has been attended to, I'll be all hockey, all the time!

Cannonball
05-14-2002, 08:06 AM
Canes 8 Habs 2. Ouch! Looks like the Habs were exposed for the frauds they are. :D Congrats to the Canes.

Earthquake Smearthcake. C'mon Avs! - one more and that sweet Wings-Avs Conference Final is a reality!

Lee Mellon
05-14-2002, 09:34 AM
Oh Montreal! What a revoltin' development!

Back to the hits: The only folks I heard that thought Tucker's hit on Peca was illegal were Islander (whiner) fans. The only folks I heard that thought Alfredsson's hit on Tucker was legal were, well, nobody. Even most Islander fans thought it was an illegal hit, even though they felt he had it coming.

Captain America
05-14-2002, 10:20 AM
Yesterday, the fact that no call was made against Tucker was your evidence that he did no wrong. Today, the refs are irrelevant, it's the fans opinion that matters. (You seem to know an awful lot of Isles fans, BTW, and since when did they corner the market on whining?). Well heck, let's do away with refs and just do an on-line poll each time someone gets hit on the ice.

My point all along is that Tucker is a scumbag, intentionally threatening a player's career. He deserved worse than he got. Good riddance.

When you make up your mind about how to determine whether a player has committed an infraction, come back and let me know. You are obviously such an authority on hockey, I would truly value your opinion.

Cannonball
05-14-2002, 10:56 AM
Hmmmm, perhaps I wasn't being direct enough in my baiting. Let's try this again.

HABS STINK! 8-2, WHAT A JOKE! THEODORE NEEDS GLASSES! WHAT A BUNCH OF PRETENDERS TO HOCKEY PROWESS IN A TOWN WITH NO TRADITION AT ALL!!!

There. I hope that works better.

Captain America
05-14-2002, 10:58 AM
:rofl:

JO
05-14-2002, 12:02 PM
Hmmmm, perhaps I wasn't being direct enough in my baiting. Let's try this again.

HABS STINK! 8-2, WHAT A JOKE! THEODORE NEEDS GLASSES! WHAT A BUNCH OF PRETENDERS TO HOCKEY PROWESS IN A TOWN WITH NO TRADITION AT ALL!!!

There. I hope that works better.

:swear:

JO
05-14-2002, 12:03 PM
Serioulsy, it's good you wrote you were baiting, I was starting to fume! What I have to say is that it was exceptional that this team made the playoffs in the first place. We also need not to forget that they beat the #1 seed in 6 games! Yes, the team fell apart against the Canes but I think it was a great season for Montreal. I hope the GM and Therrien will bring the missing elements together for next season. It should be exciting!

Cannonball
05-14-2002, 12:19 PM
Of course I was baiting. The Habs had a great season up 'til the end. It always hurts to see your team go down, but Habs fans have a strong returning team to look forward to next year.

Shrek
05-14-2002, 12:20 PM
JO, you are assuming Therrien will be around next year. Carolina may have eventually won the series anyway, but his outburst in game 4 (and the resulting 5-on-3 goal) was a HUGE turning point in momentum in the series.

JO
05-14-2002, 01:00 PM
Buzz I totally agree with you, but it's also very possible that the team was just exhausted at that point. Yes the Canes came back at that particular moment (5 against 3 when they scored the first of 4 goals) but I think it would be too easy to look for a culprit or a traitor and put the entire blame on him. The question is : What should you and the fans remember about the Habs' season? The last 130 minutes, or the season as a whole..? He's a good coach, I bet he'll be back..

Ben Kenobi
05-14-2002, 01:51 PM
Not that it matters, but why did Gilmour get a misconduct? I'm sure that's not the first time he's slammed a penalty box door, and I strongly doubt the glass broke on any previous occasion.

Mtl guru
05-14-2002, 09:55 PM
What should you and the fans remember about the Habs' season?

We'll remember Koivu coming back from cancer and play a SOLID game (best player, phisical play)

We'll remember Audette coming back for the series after having his arm cut by a skate (deep laceration, with tendons completly cut).

Koivu wasn't suppose to play again ever and Audette was suppose to be out until next year.

And Theodore...

With Saku gone in september, there were no chance of making the playoffs. And with Audette gone it was really the end. But somehow...

For the fans (and non fans also) this is more than a hockey team, it was a dream. This season will be as remembered here as if they had won the Cup.

Lee Mellon
05-15-2002, 10:05 AM
Captain A - there's a little bit of spittle left on your chin from that last rant. I don't recall ever saying that any hit was legal because there was no call on the ice. Show me where I state that and I'll formally recant it. Tucker's hit on Peca was legal because it was. He didn't aim for Peca's knees, he didn't hit Peca's knees. He hit Peca in the thighs. I do not doubt that Tucker meant to injure Peca. I think you will find in the playoffs, that every player means to injure on any legal hit. It's part of the game. If you can't handle that, there's badminton over on channel 36, maybe you should watch that. Alfedsson's hit on Tucker was illegal. Clearly seen on the replay. Every hockey sportscaster I heard affirmed the legality (and unfortunate result) of Tucker's hit on Peca and the illegality of Alfredsson's hit on Tucker. I'd be willing to bet that if the film of that hit was offered in referee school, they'd all call a major penalty on it.

So, CA, what happened to Bucky?

Big D
05-15-2002, 10:15 AM
I couldn't believe the way Ottawa played last night. You would think they would at least put up a fight in a Game 7.

There is absolutely no excuse for them to go the whole second period and get only 1 shot on goal, a shot that came in the last minute of the period. OK, there is one excuse: the Senators are a gutless hockey team.

What happened to Daniel Alfredsson? He is the captain. He has to come up with a big performance in the franchise's biggest game ever. How did he do? No shots on goal in over 22 minutes of ice time. After the game is over he takes a good run at Cory Cross. If he had showed that kind of spark while the game was on they may not have lost. And the excuse making in the locker room after the game was a nice touch. He said "If Domi had a little better balance than maybe it wouldn't turned out this way." You're right Dan. It was Domi's own fault that he got that big gash over his eye.

Exactly how big of a moron is Martin Havlat? Its game 7. Your team is trailing. You get a 4 minute powerplay. You give the defender a few crosshecks to the back and knock him over. The ref sifts out of the corner and warns you to stop. Before the ref gets back into position you give Cross several more cross checks and knock him over again. Of course you are going to get a penalty, nullifying your team's advantage and giving the Leafs a boost. Dumb.

Is Jacques Martin going to be fired? He is an excellent coach but probably. The fans are going to demand some kind of action, and firing the coach is an easy answer. A better answer is to get rid of the GM and bring in some new players. A total overhaul isn't necessary, as there is a lot of talent already there. The problem is that they have too many of the same kind of player. They need two or three guys who will bring some passion. The Leafs had the same problem a year or two ago, and they went out and signed Gary Roberts and Shayne Corson. Until Sens management recognizes this need and addresses it, they are doomed to failure.

JO
05-15-2002, 10:27 AM
Big D, why make a big deal out of how the Sens played last night?! The Stanley cup playoffs is about who comes up better as a team. Clearly the team who wanted to win the most won last night. Congrats to the Leafs!

But I have to agree that Havlat is a complete IDIOT !! :shake:

Anonymous
05-15-2002, 10:57 AM
Was there any reason given for Ottawa not bringing Jason Spezza in after his run ended in the OHL playoffs ? Or was it as simple as not wanting to change the chemistry of the team ?

I know I'd sure want Brad Boyes brought in for the Leafs if Erie had been knocked off, but then they had a few more bodies to replace.

Captain America
05-15-2002, 11:41 AM
Captain A - there's a little bit of spittle left on your chin from that last rant. I don't recall ever saying that any hit was legal because there was no call on the ice. Show me where I state that and I'll formally recant it. Tucker's hit on Peca was legal because it was. He didn't aim for Peca's knees, he didn't hit Peca's knees. He hit Peca in the thighs. I do not doubt that Tucker meant to injure Peca. I think you will find in the playoffs, that every player means to injure on any legal hit. It's part of the game. If you can't handle that, there's badminton over on channel 36, maybe you should watch that. Alfedsson's hit on Tucker was illegal. Clearly seen on the replay. Every hockey sportscaster I heard affirmed the legality (and unfortunate result) of Tucker's hit on Peca and the illegality of Alfredsson's hit on Tucker. I'd be willing to bet that if the film of that hit was offered in referee school, they'd all call a major penalty on it.

So, CA, what happened to Bucky?

:roll:

Yep, you're right. Congrats.

Ben Kenobi
05-16-2002, 08:42 AM
So I have just one question . . .

Buzz and Maine-iac: Are you ready to rummmmbllllllllle?

Maine-iac
05-16-2002, 09:34 AM

You Betcha! The Avs will skate right over the aging Dead Things and Pretty Boy Hull. Bring 'em on!

Lee Mellon
05-16-2002, 09:43 AM
I predict that Chelios will finish what Selanne started on Forsberg. It's too bad that they can't both lose at the same time.

Go Leafs Go.

Ben Kenobi
05-16-2002, 09:48 AM
If he shoots like Selanne, it might be OK. How did that not go in?

Maine-iac
05-16-2002, 10:11 AM
That was the moment that I realized that the gods were smiling on the Avs last night. Amazing. Maybe all the fans were blowing on it so it wouldn't go in. :)

Shrek
05-16-2002, 11:34 AM

I prefer playing the Nordiques. San Jose scared me more. The only thing I didn't like seeing was the 1-0 score last night. I liked it better when Roy was giving up 3-5 goals every night. Not that I'm worried.

I'll be hoping to see the Loafs beat the Whalers. I need to develop an emotion other than pity for them.

urysohn
05-16-2002, 11:40 AM
Since the B's went down so early, I've haven't had any motivation to even look at this thread. But....
Go Avs!!
Nice to see they managed to pull it out over the Sharks. Now they can roll over the Detroit Oldtimers and move on to the finals. Woohoo!

Maine-iac
05-16-2002, 12:29 PM
The bad news is that I will be in San Diego next week, so I probably won't be posting much smack. :(

The good news is that the games will be on earlier in San Diego than they are at home. :)

Shrek
05-16-2002, 12:42 PM
The bad news is that I will be in San Diego next week, so I probably won't be posting much smack. :(

Better get it in now, while you still can. By the time you get back yer boys may be making their tee-times :P

Cannonball
05-16-2002, 12:49 PM
Ooooooh, that's gotta' hoyt!

:argue:

It hurts to be on the same side as Buzzy, but all I gotta say is GO WINGS!!! BURY THE AVS!!!

Maine-iac
05-16-2002, 12:53 PM
Better get it in now, while you still can. By the time you get back yer boys may be making their tee-times :P

Not really, but your geezers may be making tea. :)

See you Saturday at the Joe Schmoe Arena! (Actually, I will probably be in the air at game time, but I'll be there in spirit.)

Dr T Non-Fan
05-16-2002, 01:23 PM
What a nail-biter that was! Power-play-pull-goalie for the final 30 seconds!
Now, I'd rather see the Sharks playing, but an Avs-Wings playoff series will be played on water, 'cause tempers will be flaring. Where's that cheap-shot artist Lemieux, anyway?

Shrek
05-16-2002, 01:28 PM
I should mention that I don't think the NHL schedule is terribly fair to the Nordiques. Travelling 2 time zones east for an afternoon game - that's gotta conflict with nap time. Of course making them play the Wings isn't terribly fair, but they "earned" that right.

Seriously though, I think the league ought to get rid of the afternoon games.

Shrek
05-16-2002, 01:29 PM
What a nail-biter that was! Power-play-pull-goalie for the final 30 seconds!
Now, I'd rather see the Sharks playing, but an Avs-Wings playoff series will be played on water, 'cause tempers will be flaring. Where's that cheap-shot artist Lemieux, anyway?

Lemieux and the rest of the Jets are playing golf.

Anonymous
05-16-2002, 01:33 PM
Afternoon hockey is a ridiculous concession to American TV ... it's fine to throw a bone to ABC/ESPN in the early rounds when there are 4 games/day but why now ?

Gotta love the SE division, where rolling over Washington, Tampa, Atlanta and Florida earns you home ice right through to the finals. And they STILL haven't sold out tonight's game.

Dr T Non-Fan
05-16-2002, 01:42 PM
How much are the tickets in New-Hockeytown? My guess is that the cheapest seats are sold out, and there are lower level $100 tickets still outstanding.

Anonymous
05-16-2002, 01:54 PM
The $250 front row seats are gone, and the cheapest ($40) are gone, but I can pull up anything ranging from $45 in the upper level corners to the second row club level $170 seats at the blue line. This is through ticketmaster, by the way ... who needs scalpers when we've got them ?!

Shrek
05-16-2002, 02:37 PM
From the Detroit Free Press:

In hockey, the last two minutes feel like six seconds. In basketball, the last two minutes feel like an eternity.

In hockey, a "good check" means you creamed the other guy. In basketball, a good check is $2,304,677.50.

In hockey, they play Game 1 Monday, Game 2 Wednesday and Game 3 Friday. In basketball, they play Game 1 in April, Game 2 in May and Game 3 TBA.

You know it's basketball if the fans boo the Canadian national anthem. You know it's hockey if the fans know the words to the Canadian national anthem.

You would never see a hockey player remove his earring. You would never see a basketball player remove his teeth.

You would never see a hockey player do an interview in a shower cap. You would never see a basketball player do an interview while bleeding.

You would never see Charles Barkley wearing Don Cherry's high collar. You would never see Don Cherry wearing Charles Barkley's dog collar.

You would never see a hockey player named Del'icious. You would never see a basketball player named Trevor.

In basketball -- in Detroit -- when you ask, "Are there still tickets left?" they say, "Sure, the $10 seats or the $19 seats?"

In hockey -- in Detroit -- when you ask, "Are there still tickets left?" they say, "Sure, 2005 or 2006?"

Rockhound
05-16-2002, 06:38 PM
A hockey player's favorite interjection sounds like the first letter of the alphabet. A basketball player's favorite interjection sounds like the 6th and the 21st.

Lee Mellon
05-16-2002, 11:56 PM
Great game.
Go Leafs!

Mick Fan
05-18-2002, 12:07 PM
Buzz -- Great post! :lol:

I love college baseketball and really am not much of a hockey fan. But when playoff time approaches, I just can't get myself to watch the NBA as hard as I try, but I'm glued to my TV set whenever the NHL playoffs are on.

The Wings / 'Lanche game will be great, but I agree that afternoon hockey sucks. It's a good thing it's cold and dreary today, but now it gives me an excuse to stay in and watch the game!

JO
05-21-2002, 02:29 PM
Hey Buzz, can you explain me why about a fourth/fifth of the seats are always empty at the Joe Louis Arena?? I mean, this is the semi-finals, shouldn't people fight for tickets?! What's up with that! :wink:

Shrek
05-21-2002, 04:07 PM
Hey Buzz, can you explain me why about a fourth/fifth of the seats are always empty at the Joe Louis Arena?? I mean, this is the semi-finals, shouldn't people fight for tickets?! What's up with that! :wink:If you can scare up tickets, send 'em my way, 'cause I can't find 'em (http://www.detroitredwings.com/tickets/playoff_availability.asp.htm) I was kind of hoping to see the Whalers beat the Loafs, figuring I could get round-trip airfare & tickets to the games down there cheaper than I could get 'em on the street here.

Maine-iac
05-21-2002, 09:51 PM
Man, that was an ugly win yesterday. Not sure exactly where Patrick Roy is these days and who that is that's taken over his body.

But a win is a win. See you in the Pepsi Center, Buzz!

Shrek
05-22-2002, 12:40 AM
Neither Wah or Ha-suck has lived up to billing in this series. Ha-suck = rented goalie, pass it on.

Botsy
05-22-2002, 10:25 AM
Neither Wah or Ha-suck has lived up to billing in this series. Ha-suck = rented goalie, pass it on.

The series is only two games. Each still has time to redeem himself and Hasek better redeem himself more than Roy.

Shrek
05-22-2002, 11:19 AM
The series is only two games. Each still has time to redeem himself and Hasek better redeem himself more than Roy.
Hasek has been less than stellar throughout most of the playoffs. I don't think he's a good fit for the Wings, because IMO he has to face a lot of rubber to be effective.

Shrek
05-22-2002, 11:32 AM
See you in the Pepsi Center, Buzz!
Just wondering...would a southerner call it the "coke Center"?

JO
05-22-2002, 12:01 PM
If you can scare up tickets, send 'em my way, 'cause I can't find 'em (http://www.detroitredwings.com/tickets/playoff_availability.asp.htm)

Well I guess that proves a point..but maybe a lot of people simply decide to disguise themselves as seats! :duh:

Mick Fan
05-22-2002, 03:17 PM
Jo -- Red Wings regular season games are some of the toughest tickets to scare up, let alone the playoffs. I've never noticed a bunch of empty seats -- I've seen a few here and there, but those could be late arrivals or people who went to the concession stand.

IMO -- For hockey, some of the worst seats are down front by the glass. Maybe those people are milling around.

Shrek
05-23-2002, 12:29 AM
Good game, outstanding overtime! It was almost a shame someone had to lose. No it wasn't. Too bad we have to wait for Saturday for game 4.

Shrek
05-23-2002, 05:22 PM
And too bad poor Maine-iac probably had to miss the first period. The only good period the Nord's had.

Rockhound
05-24-2002, 12:54 PM
The Whalers continue to roll. Go here to get their theme song:

http://www.brassbonanza.com/Sound/

Big D
05-24-2002, 01:46 PM
I would hardly call what the Whalers have been doing "rolling". They are up 3-1, but its been an even series. If a couple of bounces go the other way for them, particularly in the overtime games, and they could easily be the one's down 3-1. Still, someone in Leafs management has got to realize, quickly, that Nathan Dempsey is better than Anders "Ole" Eriksson. Eriksson gets beaten to cause the overtime goal in Game 3. He makes a boneheaded giveaway with 5 minutes to go that causes the 2-0 goal last night. And he still got another shift to close last night's game.

Rockhound
05-24-2002, 02:03 PM
You're right. There are two great series going on. Unfortunately I don't see that continuing into the finals, I don't think either team in the East will last more than 5 games against either team from the West.

Bob the Dog
05-24-2002, 02:58 PM
Big D: was there actually color photography when the Maple Leafs last hoisted the cup?

Rockhound
05-26-2002, 09:32 PM
So in game 4, with about 2:40 left and down by 2, the Red Wings pulled their goalie (and managed to get 1 of the two they needed). Why is it that teams seem to pull their goalie sooner in the playoffs. If it's a good idea in the playoffs, why isn't it in the regular season?

Maine-iac
05-27-2002, 04:08 PM
Hi ho, Hi ho, back to the Joe we go. . .

I've got to think that this could be the best match-up of the playoffs. It has the feel of playing for the cup even if it is for the conference championship.

But it would be foolish to write off the Eastern Conference champs at this point, no matter what happens in the West.

I'm rooting for Toronto, but Carolina is playing very well, (OK, maybe not that last game . . .)

Maine-iac
05-28-2002, 10:24 AM
Way to go Forsberg!

Man, they've got to stop these OT games on work nights.