PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Four

Cosmo
04-03-2002, 02:35 PM
So what is everyone's thoughts that the real final four is about to be played.

My picks are the two obvious in the first games MN and NH. Just don't think that the other two teams are up to this level. Then I think that I will take MN to win on the home ice.

Make your picks. Anyone going?

Edited: Cause my english stinks.

egg
04-03-2002, 03:45 PM
I think Blackburn will have to stand on his head and do cartwheels in net if Michigan is going to beat Minnesota.
I will go with the same selections as you, Minn. over NH in the championship.

Maine-iac
04-03-2002, 05:25 PM
ME and MN. The ME/NH game will be very close, but ME will win in the end.

Don't really have that much of a favorite between MN and MI, either would be OK to meet in the final.

The Mad Hatter
04-03-2002, 06:13 PM
I will be there.

MN/MI should be great game. MI really impressed me the way they handled SCSU and Denver (OK, SCSU didn't finish this season playing very well but they still have a ton of talent).

Speed: Slight edge Minnesota
Skill: Slight edge Minnesota
Physical Play: Edge Michigan
Defense: Slight Edge Michigan
O from the D: Edge Minnesota
Goaltending: Even (Hauser has played well lately and is much better than is reputation - which is based primarily on his play last season).
PP: Edge Minnesota
PK: Edge Michigan
Coaching: Even.

Get the drift?

Maine and UNH: I have not seen much of them and then only on TV. On paper, UNH should be the favorite to win it all but Maine is a conference rival and that seems to be an equalizer for head to head play. Maine is pretty good in its own right however. If UNH advances, the final is a toss-up I think. Maine will be the underdog regardless of who they play.

Me
04-04-2002, 10:08 AM
I'm looking forward to watching the games! I was really hacked off about the preliminary rounds, though. So many of the best teams are in the WCHA, and they were all in the same side of the bracket?!? I would have liked to have seen how Col. Col, SCSU, and Denver would have done on the side of the bracket that had teams like Cornell, for crying out loud.

I'm glad Minnesota and Denver don't face each other as a rematch of the WCHA playoff finals. I think Denver had to be at a disadvantage playing in Michigan, but Michigan will be at a disadvantage playing the Gophers in St. Paul. It should be a good game in any case.

Floyd Nootson
04-04-2002, 12:46 PM
I'm sticking with my earlier picks. The same ones that Cosmo makes! Go Gophers, RAH!

Maine-iac
04-04-2002, 02:42 PM
ME will win, I think, if for no other reason than the Shawn Walsh factor. He was beloved, and his death threw the team for quite a loop. But they pulled it together and made it to the Frozen Four in his memory, and are still playing in his memory. You can't quantify the effects of stuff like that, but they can't be ignored either.

Shrek
04-04-2002, 03:28 PM
Audio / "live" stats are available here (http://www.ncaachampionships.com/0,5920,1_711_0_12130,00.html). (the quality of the site & live updates has been shaky)

End of 1st
UNH - 2
Maine - 1

urysohn
04-04-2002, 03:33 PM
Woohoo! UNH leadeing Maine 2-1 at the end of 1 :D

I think by the time you get to the Frozen Four, the Walsh factor has to have taken a back seat. It was definitely big in their early season falter and bigger in their midseason rally. But then I think it just came down to Maine having a lot of talent and finally getting behind their new coach. They'll play well for the next two periods, but then they're going home.

Prediction: UNH over Minnesota 4-2

Maine-iac
04-04-2002, 03:53 PM
Update: 3-2, Black Bears leading Hamsters.

MAN, I wish I was there.

Maine-iac
04-04-2002, 05:03 PM
6 -2 :D :D :D :D :D

Guess I was wrong. It's not close.

urysohn
04-04-2002, 05:16 PM
I almost didn't click on "Sports" when I saw Maine-iac was the last poster...
Anybody have a "man eats crow" emoticon handy???

Change my prediction to:
Maine 3, Minnesota 2

urysohn
04-04-2002, 05:19 PM
On a related note, I heard (from my wife but I think it was the announcers during the game) that Mike Morrison, one of Maine's goalies, had secretly taped Shawn Walsh speaking to the team the last time they advanced to the Frozen Four. He never told anybody about it until this week and then he showed it to the team.
Which might have brought the "Walsh factor" back into play. I think that's just plain cheating! :)

7-2 final in favor of Maine. Just plain embarassing!

Maine-iac
04-04-2002, 05:24 PM
Naaa Naaa Naaa Nah
Naaa Naaa Naaa Nah
Hey, Hey, Hey
GOOOOOD Bye!

I'll stop picking on UNH now, Urysohn. You are gracious in defeat.

Shrek
04-04-2002, 05:32 PM
Maine-iac, I just hope you can be just as gracious after the finals :P

Maine-iac
04-04-2002, 07:58 PM
First, you have to GET there . . . :lol:

egg
04-04-2002, 08:15 PM
I didn't realize Maine had a Kariya on its roster otherwise I would have changed my pick. I fell asleep when it was 3-2 (what do you want from me I was doing problems from IASA for Part 7).

I hope I am wrong about the second game also. I won't fall asleep for that one. Go Blue!

Me
04-05-2002, 09:55 AM
Geez, I can't imagine Michigan or Minnesota fans had too much fun watching that game. Michigan fans had to be pretty depressed about the score most of the game, only to be teased with hope at the end. Meanwhile, Minnesota fans were probably holding their breath the whole time, hoping the Gophers wouldn't screw it up, which they very nearly did.

Anybody know what time Hobey Baker gets announced today?

Floyd Nootson
04-05-2002, 10:38 AM
Go Gophers, RAH!

I'll admit to being slightly worried in the last five minutes of the M&M game, but the other 55 minutes were great fun to watch. Bring on the Black Bears. There's only room for one "M" team in Minnesota.

Cosmo
04-05-2002, 10:50 AM
Hey East coast people. What is with NH. I have seen 2 games of theirs, and they look like an average team (and that might be giving them some credit). That was just an awful performance all around, goaltending, defense, offense, .... and maybe you want to throw a check every period or so, whether needed or not.

Was this team only ranked No. 1 because they got to play East coast teams all year?? Help me, I'm not trying to be mean.

Maine looked pretty ragged out there for a period +. They might of had some nerves going. But they put together a good game. I'm not sure how they are going to handle the checking. I would imagine they're used to it, but I'm not sure. Maine has the coach to play for, and MN has the home ice crowd. I still think that MN wins.

urysohn
04-05-2002, 02:23 PM
Cosmo - I'm not sure which other game you saw so I can't say for sure. But UNH has looked downright awesome this year. Two 30 goal scorers (both named first team All-Americans). Two goaltenders who are among the nation's leaders in GAA and save %. Nation's highest goals for average and among the best on goals against. Likewise for power play goals, both for and against.
Only because they play "teams from the East"? I would agree that sentiment might apply to the ECAC and the MAAC, but it would be quite a stretch to apply it to Hockey East, which I would say is perenially the deepest conference in the NCAA. They might not always have the top team but they always have 3-4 among the top 15. At one point this year, 5 teams were in the top 15 and a 6th received votes.
Last night's game was definitely not the team I've been watching all year. It WAS the team I've watched the past couple years - good regular season followed by a crappy performance in the big game. But they seemed to have gotten that monkey off their back. I'd love to give a ton of credit to Maine, which played a great game and has had a phenomonal close to the season (capped by their third national title tomorrow night) but they did not play the "real" UNH yesterday.

All that said, it IS college hockey and not college basketball. The talent is spread out pretty evenly and most of the truly exceptional talent jumps straight to the pros. Few teams are truly that much more superior than all the other teams. So even the #1 team in the country could get beat on any given day by an unranked team. Seriously, the team I always hate playing the most is UMass-Amherst which always ranks near the bottom of our league. But for whatever reason, they give UNH a run for it every single time they play.

Uggghh, it almost pains to say this, but....
Go Black Bears!
M-A-I-N-E, GO BLUE!

Drewby
04-06-2002, 10:36 PM
Ummm...I think UofM will win the championship...

urysohn
04-07-2002, 12:47 PM
Good call, Drewby! UofM did indeed win!

That was one heck of a good game! Minnesota outplayed Maine for the bulk of it, but Maine really took over in the third. Empty Minnesota net with 50-some-odd seconds left and they tie it up - wow! That Minnesota goaltender was just playing dirty though - a couple blatant trips and an elbow/stick to a player's face should have given Maine a couple power plays.

Floyd Nootson
04-08-2002, 08:59 AM
Urysohn, don't give Drewby credit for making his picks hours after the game is over. I do have to agree with your analysis of the game though. The Golden Gophers had things going their way for the first two periods, only to watch Maine take over in the third, The literal last-minute tying goal was fantastic. And Hauser played very aggressive for a goalie. Minnesota got the first goal in front of a very partisan 19,0000+. This should have rattled Maine more than it did. Overtime could have gone either way, a lucky bounce off a skate, and either team goes home National Champions. I'm just glad it was the Golden Gophers. RAH!

Me
04-08-2002, 09:11 AM
Wow! What a game that was. The announcers were horrible, though. And I couldn't believe ESPN would keep showing the Walsh widow's reaction to bad things happening to Maine. Yikes!

Maine-iac
04-08-2002, 09:41 AM
Broke my heart, but WHAT A GAME! Congratulations to Minnesota.

(Yeah, ESPN stunk up the joint with the tacky widow shots, but what did you expect?)

Cosmo
04-08-2002, 03:07 PM
What a game. Scoring with 1 minute left, just amazing. I have to say I was glad to see the coach come out, and put a stop to the ref whinning. I have some respect for that guy.

Urysohn, the other game was the one they won to get to the final four. Cornell I believe that they beat. If you want to say that they had two bad games, I can believe that. That was my guess. But when you see a team play two games, and they look bad in one just plain awful in the other, you have to question them.

Perennially Hockey East being one of the best conferences is true, but doesn't really mean all that much this year. Obviously the WCHA was the best conference this year, and that will change next year, or the following year. ECAC and MAAC don't count, so you are left with three conferences. Who all have 3-5 teams ranked.

Edited to Add: I forgot to add about the Walsh's. I guess I wasn't surprised at ESPN, but it sure was annoying.

Me
04-10-2002, 12:14 PM
If anyone's interested, I believe ESPN Classic is rebroadcasting the final game on Saturday night (7pm EDT?). Check your local listings. I know some Gopher fans who will be taping it.