PDA

View Full Version : PD Advice

USA AOK
07-20-2004, 11:41 PM
I have 35 credits from the transition. I was wondering if I could get some advice on the quickest way to get the last 15. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

BC
07-21-2004, 10:59 AM
The Life Product Development CD is a joke, and it's worth 12 credits... that and 2 tapes should put you over.

Transdermal Celebration
07-21-2004, 11:36 AM
My two cents: Go to an SOA meeting if your employer will pay for it. You can get 15 credits in ten sessions, or 2.5 days. Then, all you have to do is write up perhaps 2 paragraphs on each session saying what you learned, how it will help you in your job, and how it fits into your PD plan.

tope
07-21-2004, 01:23 PM
For those of you who completed a project for PD...Did you have to present your report to a peer group and get their feedback?...Is this required?..does anyone really care?..any help will do , thanks

USA AOK
07-22-2004, 04:03 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm leaning towards the CD/Tape combination. That will probably be the quickest so that I might have a shot at Atlanta in November.

TW Man
07-24-2004, 11:42 AM
USA AOK

I have exactly the same credits as yours. 35 conversion credits. According to my understanding, we can take non-soa approved credits for maximum 15 credits. So we can just apply any seminars we attended during the past two years. So we do not need to take new learning from SOA tape. Is my understanding correct? :)

Actuary_JB
07-26-2004, 10:18 AM
tope --

Technically, you are required to present your PD Project report and get feedback.

If your PD plan is thoroughly reviewed by the SOA (like mine was), they will check this very closely. I had communicated my Project to others, but I forgot to send along documentation. They held up my approval until they confirmed that is was communicated to others.

If you just get the "rubber stamp" approval from the SOA, then it really doesn't matter. Good Luck.

JB

BucsFan
07-26-2004, 10:44 AM
I have 5 PD credits from the pre-2000 exam system. Does that mean I can do an easier project than I would be able to do if I had no PD credits?

JTBenson
07-26-2004, 10:48 AM
I have 5 PD credits from the pre-2000 exam system. Does that mean I can do an easier project than I would be able to do if I had no PD credits?

No. Unless this was sarcastic.

BucsFan
07-26-2004, 11:06 AM
It wasn't sarcastic, I swear. I was just wanting to know whether or not my 5 PD credits would help me any.

bm1729
07-26-2004, 01:49 PM
It wasn't sarcastic, I swear. I was just wanting to know whether or not my 5 PD credits would help me any.
BF, this is how conversion credits get applied to your PD component. The order is as follows:

-- They first get applied to the examination-validated component (25 credits)
-- Then to the project component (15 credits)
-- Finally, to the meetings/seminar component (10 credits)

When there are not enough credits to satisfy any one of the above components, the order gets shifted down one. An example will make things clearer. We'll use your situation. You have five conversion credits, right? You need 25 credits to satisfy the examination-validated component, so five is not enough. Next on the list is the project. You need 15 credits to satisfy that, but since 5 is less than 15, we move on to the next -- and last -- component: the meetings/seminar component. Your five conversion credits get applied to that. You thus have to complete the following: (1) 25 examination-validated credits, (2) a project, and (3) five meetings/seminar credits.

In other words (to answer your original question), your five conversion credits will not help you any as far as the project is concerned.

BucsFan
07-26-2004, 01:51 PM
Thanks a lot, bm1729.

aces219
07-26-2004, 02:12 PM
You only need the exam-validated component if you are using PD for your ASA. If only for the FSA, you can do 35 credits with seminars and tapes.

bm1729
07-26-2004, 02:33 PM
You only need the exam-validated component if you are using PD for your ASA. If only for the FSA, you can do 35 credits with seminars and tapes.
Yes. I forgot to mention that what I said applies to PD for ASA (which I presumed that's what BF was interested in). Thanks for clarifying, aces.

BucsFan
07-26-2004, 03:20 PM
Actually, I was talking about PD for FSA. I still plan on getting my ASA by means of passing Exam 6 or Exam 8M (whichever happens first).

USA AOK
07-26-2004, 06:10 PM
TW Man,

I believe you are correct. Unfortunately for me, I have been to anything like that in the past couple of years.

canon
07-26-2004, 07:56 PM
I am ASA (passing exam 1-6) . I also have 45 PD credits. Some one told me that if I got my extra 5 credits (from going to seminar) for my PD and if I won't pass course 7 and 8 in two years, then I will lose my PD credits. (Those non-exam PD credits will expire if I don't get my FSA in two years)
Is this true ? Thanks !!!

Emily
07-26-2004, 08:41 PM
I am ASA (passing exam 1-6) . I also have 45 PD credits. Some one told me that if I got my extra 5 credits (from going to seminar) for my PD and if I won't pass course 7 and 8 in two years, then I will lose my PD credits. (Those non-exam PD credits will expire if I don't get my FSA in two years)
Is this true ? Thanks !!!
That doesn't all make sense. You have 45 PD credits? From what? Pre-2000 exams? Those don't expire. It doesn't matter if you pass Courses 7 or 8. Is that what you're asking?

canon
07-26-2004, 10:47 PM
Yes, that is what I am asking. I got those credits from those small exams (10 credits , 15 credits) in the past. However; two persons told me if I got my 5 credits from seminar (Non-exam) then I better finish my course 7 and 8 soon. Otherwise, those 5 credits will be expired.
THanks!

aces219
07-26-2004, 11:40 PM
No, they won't expire. Under the transition, if you have pre-2000 credit, you are allowed to finish your PD before the transition to get credit for 1 of the new FSA exams.

canon
07-27-2004, 12:05 AM
No, they won't expire. Under the transition, if you have pre-2000 credit, you are allowed to finish your PD before the transition to get credit for 1 of the new FSA exams.

OH! WOW! Sounds good ! Thanks !