PDA

View Full Version : Got a question for you Claude...

Double Down Trent
04-18-2002, 12:56 PM
What the hell happened after Brian Benton left?

Brian placed me in a position in NYC in the fall of 2000. Unfortunately, I was laid off at the end of the summer of 2001, just before 9-11. (Comapny thought practice was going to expand, instead it contracted and I was the Last-In-First-Out)

First thing I did was call Brian. He was out on sabbatical (sp?), but Brian Lee helped me out until Benton got back. I loved working with Benton, always honest and forthright and always did a good job. Unfortunately, the market for my experience level completely dried up in the aftermath of 9-11, so it was difficult even getting interviews. (I know it wasn't Brian's fault because I was also working independently and with other recruitors and was hitting the same walls using those avenues)

Then, when Brian left DW Simpson, he had set it up for another team to assist me. There were three people he mentioned, though I don't remember their names. None of them ever called me, definitely souring me on DW Simpson.

I have since found a position through another recruitor and will be starting in a few weeks. I see a lot of people on this board and elsewhere bashing recruitors, and some specifically target DW Simpson, and I've always stuck up for them.

When I was graduating school, I worked with Bill Coumas at DW Simpson, and while I ended up accepting a position through campus recruiting, Bill got me a ton of interviews and more than a few offers. When I was looking to move to NYC, I immediately called DW Simpson and that was when I met Brian Benton.

I have always let people know that I thought DW Simpson was a class organization and would do their best for you. I had always felt that using a recruitor was better than just sending unrequested letters and resumes to people you find in the SOA directory, at least as long as you were looking outside your current locale.

Now, after the whole fiasco of nobody ever calling me after Brian left, I was really left with a bad taste in my mouth on DW Simpson.

I was just wondering if you could possibly have any explanation as to how DW Simpson could act in such a manner to a candidate who had already been placed by DW on a previous occassion, ALWAYS got the in-house interview from the phone interview (so I wasn't wasting anyone's time), and dealt openly and honestly with DW recruitors concerning my needs and wants in a new postion to help save them additional time.

Any thoughts?

DW Simpson
04-18-2002, 01:56 PM
With the limited information that I now have on both sides, I can try to address your concerns. I am sincerely sorry that signals were crossed after Brian Benton left.

Steve Marshall, who can be reached at steve.marshall@dwsimpson.com or (800) 837-8338 x227, will in the future be working with the actuaries that Brian Benton formerly worked with. That wasn’t settled even after Brian left, so there was a transitional period where each of our recruiting teams were working with their current candidates as well as a portion of Brian’s actuaries. There were a lot of late nights for the whole company; many candidates of Brian Benton’s followed up and contacted their new assigned recruiting teams if we didn’t call them first.

As you said, Brian was an excellent recruiter, so it was difficult to fill his shoes on short notice.

The qualities that you attribute to Brian Benton are also shared, in my opinion, by both Brian Lee and Steve Marshall. They are both honest, forthright and put their best efforts out there. If you drop an email to either me, or Brian at brian.lee@dwsimpson.com , or Steve, or give Steve a call, we can hopefully be given another opportunity to work with you in the future.

Again, I do apologize for the lack of follow-through on our part. I can assure you that it had nothing to do with any perceived value to your interviewing strengths or time. It was only a case of a good recruiter leaving a big void for a short period, but everything is back on track now.

Claude

DW Simpson
04-18-2002, 03:09 PM
An entirely separate point that I forgot to mention is that we remain in constant contact with Brian, as he went to one of our larger client insurers, in an actuarial recruiting role for them as well. He enjoys working with actuaries and continues to do that. The situation was not unlike an actuary getting a generous offer for an opportunity to do something new and different. It's a win-win because we still get to work with him daily.