PDA

View Full Version : PD question

hopper
09-28-2004, 11:08 PM
I remember reading from the catalog that one could only earn up to 15 PD credits prior to plan submission. Since I attended SOA meetings in 03 and 04, would I still be allowed to summarize the meetings and earn the max credits(the sum would be greater than 15) for each meeting. I do not intend to file any plan until the end of October or early November.

Thanks.

WQN
09-29-2004, 07:35 AM
My understanding is that if you use those credits then the date of that seminar is the beginning of the 25 months that you have to complete the PD requirements. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

rockytop
09-29-2004, 07:43 AM
Hopper, you are correct. You can only have 15 credits before you sbmit your plan, so you would not be able to use all of your credits so far. You are limited to 25 months from the earliest credit to submit your PD as WQN said.

SleepyBob
09-29-2004, 01:32 PM
But doesn't the 25 months start the day you file your initial plan? You don't get to arbitrarily decide that your 25 months is starting 9/03 or 9/02. If you attended before the initial plan approval, then they count against your 15 credit maximum.

phdmom
09-29-2004, 01:44 PM
From the PD FAQ:

Must I fulfill my plan within a certain period of time?
Generally, the plan should be completed within a 25-month period. The 25-month window begins with the date of the first formal program within the execution of the plan. The project completion date would be viewed as the date of its acceptance by the advisor. The 25-month time frame may be expanded slightly to include a third SOA Spring or Annual meeting if the first program element of the plan is such a meeting.

Tired of it
09-29-2004, 05:02 PM
The 15 credits allowed prior to the PD plan submission is not tied to the 25 month period. The 25 month period begin when the SOA accepts the inital plan.

"A maximum of 15 nuits of activity may be undertaken prior to the data of the inital plan acceptance confirmation from the SOA."

Me Too
09-29-2004, 05:25 PM
The 15 credits allowed prior to the PD plan submission is not tied to the 25 month period.I'm pretty sure that is false. The earliest event you use for PD credit (not counting converted or exam credit) begins your 25-month window.

Swiper
09-29-2004, 05:55 PM
The 15 credits allowed prior to the PD plan submission is not tied to the 25 month period.I'm pretty sure that is false. The earliest event you use for PD credit (not counting converted or exam credit) begins your 25-month window.

I agree. The 25 month period starts with the oldest event used. If for example your initial plan is approved on 11/1/04 and you want to include the June 2003 SOA meeting in your PD, then June 2003 is the start of your 25 month period. In addition, only 15 of your credits (not inlcuding conversion credits) can come from seminars, meetings, etc. that occured prior to 11/1/04.

hopper
09-29-2004, 06:41 PM
Thanks for all the replies. It looks like I will have to attend 2 more meetings after filing the initial plan. At this stage of the game, I am willing to do anything just to get that final automatic salary increase.

Michel de Nostradamus
09-29-2004, 08:08 PM
[...]I do not intend to file any plan until the end of October or early November.

Thanks.

If you are going to NYC in October, you should file soon.
You want to count those hours in the "after-filing" date - not as part of the 15 hours for "before-filing" date.

homersimpson
09-30-2004, 10:26 PM
Tired of it wrote:
The 15 credits allowed prior to the PD plan submission is not tied to the 25 month period.

Me Too responded:
I'm pretty sure that is false. The earliest event you use for PD credit (not counting converted or exam credit) begins your 25-month window.

Me Too, you are wrong.

I know because I used old credits for my PD. I checked with the SOA and as Tired of It points out the date that your PD plan is accepted starts the 25 month period, it is not tied to those 15 credits before that.

Michel de Nostradamus
09-30-2004, 10:43 PM
I think homer is not quite right.....

Please note: In the case of previously presented programs (e.g. audio or videotaped sessions or rebroadcasts of earlier live internet sessions), the date of the actual program will serve as the effective date for a candidate's PD plan, not the date a candidate listens to a tape or views a recorded program. The effective date is used for determining if the credit is to be included in the 15-unit limit prior to initial acceptance. The effective date must also fall within the candidate’s 25-month time frame; no credit will be granted for distance learning elements outside of that window.

http://www.soa.org/ccm/content/exams-education-jobs/candidate-and-exam-information/update/

homersimpson
10-01-2004, 02:09 PM
I did not use distance learning credits and I received an affirmative response to my question about how prior meeting credits affected the 25 month time frame from a live human being. My plan was approved.

I would suggest that you call as I did to determine what the rules really are now (they may have changed in the last 2 years).

Michel de Nostradamus
10-01-2004, 08:49 PM
Certainly you should e-mail pdcomments@soa.org . They were extremely helpful in answering my questions.

I do think the 25-month limit applies to distance learning and/or credits earned prior to PD plan acceptance.
It makes sense that credits should only be allocated to most recent learning activities.
Otherwise, I could claim credit for CIA meetings I attended in 1997! :)

tchiew
10-02-2004, 10:27 AM
Hi Homer

As what Nost had suggested, best to email to PDcomments to confirm. I could not use my prior SOA seminar (before initial PD subission) due to 25 months rule (confirmation from PDcomments). applies both to distant learning and seminars.

Btw, mine was a recent experience, initial plan submitted on april 2004, executed plan approved on 16 Aug 2004. Void seminar attended in July 2001.

Michel de Nostradamus
10-02-2004, 12:28 PM
Hi, tchiew. {God bless me!} :wink:
I also submitted my initial PD plan this year and so, my experience is very recent. The SOA meeting at NYC in October is part of my plan.

BTW: I have been called Michel, MdN, and MN but never Nost. Thank you for the new abbreviation. It is a pleasant change.