PDA

View Full Version : C5: thinking about thinking about studying

radrach
11-06-2004, 06:15 PM
Okay, so this'll be my first crack @ 5, and I'd like to kick some butt. Skimmed thru past posts, and this is what I'm thinking:

Purchase All10, CSM, CSK.
Study schedule begins Dec1, finish first run thru by March 15.
NEAS seminar Mar17-21.
Practice problems March 23-April 22.
Practice exams April 23- May 4.
Back massage May 5.
Drink heavily May 6 1pm thru....?

C5: starting out each topic this way seems to have been very usefull in the past, lets' keep this up.

Who else is out there w/ me?
Did people actually read all the webnotes? or, do most skim thru them, or only reference them? Not sure how to tackle the insane amount of readings.

Avi
11-06-2004, 07:21 PM
I did nt find CSM that helpful.

radrach
11-07-2004, 07:19 PM
So, only All10? My work doesn't set a limit, and if one has one thing better, and another something else better, I'd like to have both.
What do you think?

Avi
11-07-2004, 09:11 PM
I bought both. Once I had All-10, I never used CSM again. JMO.

StuckInMud
11-07-2004, 10:10 PM
So ALL10 seems like a good manual.

Does it cover the whole syllabus well? Are there papers that still need to be read (forgive me --> I am trying to reduce the number of things to read; the number of papers is quite intimidating).

erickson
11-08-2004, 02:11 AM
Use All10 for outlines and to learn the material. Use CSM for extra problems (especially if your employer will buy it for you). In fact, sometimes (SOMETIMES), CSM will have better outlines than All10.

I had both. I would read the paper first with no notes. Then, skim the notes to determine which was better (All10 or CSM). Then, I'd take the better one and fill in the gaps. Like I said, usually it was All10. But, especially for Exams 5 & 7, CSM was better for more than a handful of papers. And, even when All10 had better notes, CSM had a much larger set of practice problems.

Get both.

StuckInMud
11-08-2004, 11:35 AM
I can't even find a site that sells the CSM manual..... I checked ACTEX and SlideRule. Nor does either site have any manuals for sale ?!?!?

I also know that all10 sells its own manual (but not sure of other actuarial bookstores carry it).

Very strange. Is there some store that has a "master listing" of all the manuals, solutions guides, old exam packs, etc.... that are available.

Kindly advise.

erickson
11-08-2004, 12:25 PM
I can't even find a site that sells the CSM manual.....

http://www.csmanuals.com/

Examinator
11-08-2004, 03:58 PM
This, too, is my first shot at 5. I plan on getting the All 10 manual and the CSM. I have a year-old copy of the ALl 10 right now and it seems good through 4 articles. The CSM will undoubtedly have a ton of problems, as always. I'm on Feldblum's WC novel right now, and plan on reading all texts from the syllabus before going to the All 10.

erickson
11-08-2004, 04:01 PM
In my opinion, it's foolish to not read the source material. As good as All10 can be, I've found that it always omits very important information, especially when the source material contains lots of exhibits. I use All10 (or CSM, as discussed above) as a STARTING POINT, filling in all of the holes from the source material as I go.

Examinator
11-11-2004, 11:34 AM
That's been my opinion as well. I don't think poorly of others who don't read every letter of the syllabus material, but those I've encountered who don't pass and don't read everything shouldn't get that much sympathy. It's on the syllabus for a reason. If you can pass without reading it all, whether it be substituted by manuals or nothing, then more power to you. For me, at least, I've always read all the material and then gone to the manuals. I guess it's daunting, especially on upper exams, but like I said, it's on the syllabus for a reason.

Vegas or Bust
11-11-2004, 12:00 PM
I'll be attending the NEAS seminar. I've been very happy with Mahler's study guides for Parts 3 and 4, but don't have any knowledge about what Feldblum provides. Is it necassary to buy an additional study guide if I'll have the Mahler and Feldblum guides?

mathdonkey
11-11-2004, 12:50 PM
I'll be attending the NEAS seminar. I've been very happy with Mahler's study guides for Parts 3 and 4, but don't have any knowledge about what Feldblum provides. Is it necassary to buy an additional study guide if I'll have the Mahler and Feldblum guides?

I have been very pleased with Mr. Mahler's stidy notes for 3 and 4 also and expect the same for 5. As for Mr. Feldblum material for 6, I was very displeased. His recommended study schedule contained at least 4 papers that were not currently on the syllabus. It also did not contain a number that were on it. His notes on the material was helpful, but not to the same degree as Mahler's. They also went off on tangents into Exam 7 and 9 that are not on 6. His seminar, to me, was less than adequate(disorganized, confused, opinionated). I was not impressed. I've been to 4 different seminars and his by far was the least helpful. I was also somewhat prepared going into the seminar. This is not to say that some people think that he is good. My coworker does like him.

I found that All10 was a very helpful addition to exam 6. Our department had a copy for the previous year. I would suggest another study guide.

Fightin Engineer
11-11-2004, 01:13 PM
You may want to reconsider drinking heavily starting at 1 PM as well, seing as there's still a half hour left of the exam at that point. :wink:

Of course if you think you can finish the exam in 3 1/2 hours, I'm sure the others taking the exam at your location will support you in making that choice.

radrach
11-12-2004, 12:19 AM
Since I'm going to kick this exams butt, My current plan is still drinking @ 1pm.
I don't know of anyone else in Colorado taking it.
:beer:

Lucy
11-12-2004, 12:33 AM
Personally, I read all the syllabus material, and used all the problems in CSM. I tossed the outlines in CSM, and never bothered to look at any other brand. I liked the way CSM organized the practice problems, and their answers were wrong less often than Actex's. All10 was new, so I don't know the quality of their answers.

Oh, and I always got the old exams with official answers. worth comparing.