PDA

View Full Version : Exam 5: When to start?

Expunge
12-20-2004, 06:05 PM
Well the title says it all. When do we start, anybody organizing a study group? I've got all10 from last year, do i need anything new this year?

DrNO811
12-21-2004, 09:45 AM
I've started perusing the material, but I won't start studying very hard until January.

Actuarius
12-21-2004, 10:53 AM
I've ordered my study manuals and should have everything ready to get started January 4th. I'm just trying to enjoy my last few study-free days before it all starts back up again. Sure does fly by, doesn't it?

high9
12-21-2004, 04:05 PM
I've started the CPCU readings. Despite all the forewarnings on this board, nothing could have prepared me for this coma inducing treatment :(

jk
12-21-2004, 05:42 PM
I can top that. I just read the Most Boring Words Committed to Paper in the History of the Human Species: the study notes on ISO and NCCI data collection.

When I finished, I had no pulse.

hzhang
12-21-2004, 05:48 PM
Are there ways that we could get over them, while having fun?

high9
12-22-2004, 01:13 PM
When do we start, anybody organizing a study group?

Well, it looks like one started on the 6th December, whoops for me....and i guess a few others...

http://lists.casact.org/scripts/lyris.pl?visit=studygroup5&id=262218260 (ok, the link doesn't work all the way, but its there if you click messages and then select the post from "panmess")

But if anyone else is starting one, I may be game if i actually knew how one of these operates. Anyone care to enlighten me? :wink:

Examinator
12-27-2004, 09:52 AM
I started reading papers in early November, and did well until Thanksgiving and then again at Christmas. I started back up for real again this morning. I was all bruised up by 6 and was motivated to get an early jump on 5 (both were/are first attempts). While I didn't get as good a jump as a wanted, it's a jump nonetheless. I'm using the 2004 All 10. Any advice on other/updated materials?

Happy Salvador
12-27-2004, 10:53 AM
Well the title says it all. When do we start, anybody organizing a study group? I've got all10 from last year, do i need anything new this year?

Spongeform,

If there is any exam I might think about NOT starting early, it is this one. The material is not as difficult as the other high level exams (such as 8 or 9) and is not as long as 7.

If you have a propensity to burn out at all, wait until the 2nd week of January or something. Then bang through the boring stuff quickly (do not spend oodles of time on the CPCU stuff read a few pages when you need something mindless to look at) and study the rest as you normally would.

Results may vary. JMO.

Klaymen
12-27-2004, 11:20 AM
I can top that. I just read the Most Boring Words Committed to Paper in the History of the Human Species: the study notes on ISO and NCCI data collection.

I have to agree, that is probably the low point of the entire exam syllabus. I would just review it briefly, know what has been tested before, and leave it at that. If you miss 1-2 points on the exam because of it, you're probably in good company. It just doesn't have a good benefit/study hr.

Howard Mahler
12-27-2004, 01:40 PM
It is important to know about stat plans.
The current readings could be better, but are an improvement on what went before.

There is in fact a high benefit/study hour ratio, for those who have a good memory. Unlike some other readings, there are not any deep concepts to learn. Since most people find them dry, perhaps you could read a page at a time as fill in from your other studying. Be sure to do past eaxm questions as you go along and then some more closer to the exam.

Howard Mahler

I have to agree, that is probably the low point of the entire exam syllabus. I would just review it briefly, know what has been tested before, and leave it at that. If you miss 1-2 points on the exam because of it, you're probably in good company. It just doesn't have a good benefit/study hr.

Expunge
01-07-2005, 04:43 PM
So long suckers! (suckers = SOA) Hello CAS!

Its official that my 5 study hours for exam 5 havn't been wasted (yet).

Sotally Tober
01-07-2005, 04:48 PM
So long suckers! (suckers = SOA) Hello CAS!

Its official that my 5 study hours for exam 5 havn't been wasted (yet).

Would this imply a passed exam from results that came out today? Congrats, man!

Levin
01-18-2005, 12:08 PM
I've ordered my study manuals and should have everything ready to get started January 4th. I'm just trying to enjoy my last few study-free days before it all starts back up again. Sure does fly by, doesn't it?Looks like we're keeping right together, Actuarius. I'm on Part 5 now too.