PDA

View Full Version : Exams 5 and up: Print or cursive?

Pachoo
12-28-2004, 11:18 AM
I am going to be taking a higher level exam for the first time this May. I was wondering whether most off you write your essay answers in print or cursive. My handwriting is pretty horrible so I am thinking I should print my answers. At the same time, I am worried that printing will be too slow and I won't have enough time to answer the questions completely.

Do you think it is a bad idea to try to print? Is writing out answers in cursive almost mandatory with the time limit alloted?

Maine-iac
12-28-2004, 11:26 AM
I always printed. My handwriting is horrible, and after 3 1/2 hours it is darn near illegible. Printing doesn't slow things that much (be sure to print on your practice exams). You've got to give your grader a fighting chance at understanding your answer. The last thing you want is to have a grader ticked off at your chicken scratches.

MNBridge
12-28-2004, 11:45 AM
Print

While they may be called 'Essay' exams you will not be writing an essay.

Usually your answer consists of either a list and some backup (I used outline form for backup no complete sentences) or
A math type problem with lots of numbers and possibly a few words.

GefilteFish144
12-28-2004, 01:45 PM
I'm not sure I even remember how to do cursive writing. I print everything -- including the exams. Sholom Feldblum said that candidates generally don't get credit for barely legible essay questions. Based on what I've heard from candidates who claim to have written correct answers and not gotten credit, I believe him.

L. Mo
12-28-2004, 01:47 PM
I print, because it's neater, for me.
Write legibly, and write DARK (if you use pencil, especially), since they photocopy your essay sheets, and if it doesn't copy, you're SOL.

Chuckles
12-29-2004, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the advice. I think I will definitely be printing then. :)

Klaymen
12-29-2004, 09:59 AM
Cursive! Make an effort to be legible, but the exam is not a walk in the park. Printing takes way too long.

Mary Frances
01-02-2005, 11:42 AM
Use whichever is easier for you, unless your handwriting is really illegible. Graders understand that you are time pressured and will take whatever you use. If you are concerned they won't be able to figure out what you've written, then try to give the graders a break and print. Graders will go to great lengths to figure out what you wrote -- they DO NOT just ignore stuff that's hard to decipher, but if they can't figure it out even with several people trying, you'll be SOL. Poor handwriting doesn't get marked down, though, provided it can be deciphered.

There was one candidate who failed the same exam twice before passing. Candidate's handwriting was really, really awful, and distinctive, so that's how we knew it was the same person back again. Sometimes took three or four people to figure out some of the words. Third year there was a cheer from the veteran graders when the score for that person was a pass.

Trying to write darker is also good, but again don't let it throw you. If you write too faintly and the grader can't read the photocopy, they'll get a darkened edition from the CAS office.

So - don't worry about it. You've got lots more pressing things to concentrate on on exam day.

horsePower
01-02-2005, 04:01 PM
Cursive! Make an effort to be legible, but the exam is not a walk in the park. Printing takes way too long.

Yeah exactly - speed is a big factor - a lot of the exams are very time consuming. Of course it has be be legible - I would only print if there is an insignificant difference in the speed.

Dedicated111
01-15-2012, 10:05 AM
Searched the forum...found this thread, and wanted to ask the question again Print or Cursive? I took my first upper-level back in Oct (Exam 6), and I felt that printing took awhile, maybe not that much longer, I'm not totally sure. My handwriting is pretty notorious, but I always write in cursive and feel more comfortable this way. Just wanted a few more opinions on this topic...

Bobby
01-16-2012, 08:27 PM
As long as someone else can read it, write in the form with which you feel more comfortable. I can't even write in cursive anymore, but if you can and it's fast for you, go for it.

I think a bigger issue is how you answer problems though. Writing in complete sentences will slow you down more than writing in print. If you can write your answers down in sentence fragments AND write in cursive, you'll be a super duper exam computer.

chicken_po_boy
01-26-2012, 11:24 PM
Funny, before Exam 6 I actually timed myself writing a sample paragraph by both printing and in cursive. For me, both took about the same length of time. But my printing was neater, so that's what I do.

sloppyjoe
04-20-2012, 09:11 AM
I would probably have to look up how to write most of the capital letters in cursive. Even if I did, it would be completely illegible. Print, quickly.

CASualty
04-29-2013, 09:56 PM
As far as I'm aware, there's nothing in the exam rules stating that you can't bring in a typewriter ;)

Vorian Atreides
04-29-2013, 10:27 PM
As far as I'm aware, there's nothing in the exam rules stating that you can't bring in a typewriter ;)
Good luck typesetting those formulas and graphs.

Vorian Atreides
04-29-2013, 10:28 PM
Good luck finding a servicable typewriter that won't get you kicked out for being too distractive.

Vorian Atreides
04-29-2013, 10:29 PM
Depends on your definition of "ink pen" or "pencil".

CASualty
04-29-2013, 10:29 PM
Good luck typesetting those formulas and graphs.

I'm not suggesting that you type the entire exam -- just the essay questions :)

John Doe
04-29-2013, 10:40 PM
Plus you might get bonus points for mirroring the font used by the CAS in their exam booklets.

CASualty
04-30-2013, 09:41 AM
Vorian, I wasn't being serious . . . at least, not completely ;)

If you were the only one writing in your test centre, maybe the noise wouldn't matter? The proctor might have trouble working with your "clickity-clackity BING!" sounds though :P

Vorian Atreides
04-30-2013, 11:25 AM
Vorian, I wasn't being serious . . . at least, not completely ;)

If you were the only one writing in your test centre, maybe the noise wouldn't matter? The proctor might have trouble working with your "clickity-clackity BING!" sounds though :P
I know. And all of my posts were made tongue-in-cheek as well. :toast:

Calvin
05-01-2013, 10:14 PM
Just took my third upper (exam 7, after passing 5/6) and did print for all three of them. In each one I was probably more verbose than necessary for many questions (too often I put 4 lines for a .5pt question), but I haven't run out of time on an exam yet and have had 20min+ each exam to review questions after I've answered all of them more-or-less completely.

I never found cursive to be faster for me, unless I wrote almost illegible cursive. I guess the point is that printing answers isn't going to be the reason you don't finish a test.