PDA

View Full Version : Distance Learning Subscription

Can't Take a Joke
01-17-2005, 12:22 PM
Has anyone ever used the Distance Learning Program with their PD? I am considering the value since my PD will be in the pharmacy area. Also, how lenient is the SOA with the relevence of meetings towards the objective of your PD? As I said, my PD project will be in the pharmacy area. Will they allow me to include attendance at health meetings?

dmc
01-17-2005, 01:15 PM
I used the distance learning method. I had planned on using tapes of historical meetings to round out my PD experience. The cost of the distance learning method was exactly equal to the cost of buying the tapes and they throw in the "virtual campus" which offers a few more credits so I figured why not. Although I did not actually use the virtual campus you may find some sessions more relevant to your objectives.

The tapes I ordered arrived pretty quickly so no complaints there either.

I wouldn't worry about what the SOA thinks about the meetings. Rather, you need to make sure your advisor believes the meetings are appropriate. Some of the meeting sessions do not neccesarily need to be directly relevent to your objective but they should be indirectly relevent...ie a session on statistical methods for RBC on life products would probably not be directly relevent but likely would be indirectly relevent in a way that you could discuss how you benefited from the session.

You need to work with your advisor in selecting the appropriate meetings that tie into your objectives. Should you use the tapes (and I believe they are a valuable way to round out yout PD experience) make sure your advisor believes the sessions you choose are appropriate as well.

The advisor really plays the key roll in this process. Pick a good one and you will gain a lot from the experience.

As easy as I thought PD was going to be, I found I put a lot more time in completing it than I thought I would need and learned a lot from the experience.

I would also recommend you and your advisor looking over the model plans to customize one of these to you personal objectives.

PensionAggie
01-20-2005, 12:43 AM
There is very little documentation about the "Distance Learning Program" on the SOA website. Is this program the exact same programs as the "SOA Virtual Campus"? If not, how wide of a variety of programs are offered?

hopper
01-20-2005, 02:08 AM
You should be able to summarize the handouts without actually listening to the tapes. It is quicker that way!

MrMotorcycle
02-02-2005, 04:03 PM
Where do you order these tapes from?

Thanks

WQN
02-11-2005, 12:46 PM
You can order them from Aven. If you search the SOA website for Audio Tapes you will get a link to Aven's website and you can order the tapes through them. They look to be about $12.50 per session from past meetings.