PDA

View Full Version : All10 = supplement or replacement?

Yoda
01-18-2005, 11:25 PM
For those of you who had used all10 for CAS 5 and passed. Would you recommend All10 as a supplement to the study kit or a replacement for the study kit? Thanks

Macavity
01-19-2005, 07:34 AM
After using it for CAS 6, I can say that if you've had minimal exposure to the material on the exam, that All10 is definitely NOT a replacement. I think you really need to read a lot of articles to get a true understanding. There are probably several articles, on the more boring stuff, memorization stuff, that you could just use All10 for and be fine.

BigLarry
01-19-2005, 09:18 AM
I have met several folks who never read articles. I just don't think that's a great idea. I read the article & make a rough draft of an outline of the lists, definitions and formulas. By doing this, I've taken the time to digest what I can from the article. I will occasionally refer to a study manual during this process if I can't figure something out. Then I compare my notes to the study manual and see if I've missed anything or misinterpreted something. I then create a more finished outline which I use for all future passes through the material. By doing this, I've really got two passes through the material on my first pass. Then, of course, I look at past exam problems and study guide problems.

Yes, it's a tedious process, but it's worked well for me. 3 in a row - one to go... There really are no shortcuts to putting in the time on these exams. Beleive me, if there were, some smart SOB would've found it already...

Good Luck...

Avi
01-19-2005, 10:09 AM
I would start off reading the articles directly, but due to time pressure would end up using All-10 and articles to supplement. So far, it has worked for CAS Parts 5 and 6.

For 7, I'm starting with All-10 a priori and supplementing with manuals. All-10 by itself is not a suitable replacement.

Good Luck!

Examinator
01-20-2005, 12:54 PM
I am taking part 5 for the first time and am using the All 10 manual as a supplement. I'm reading the articles and then going to the manual for clarification and additional notes.

jk
02-09-2005, 11:37 PM
I'm usually finding, at least once per article, that there is something that I can't understand in All10, and I have to refer to the source material for clarification. That's not a knock on All10; it's just a reflection of the fact that All10 is written in outline form and designed to summarize and not to explain. But personally, I could not live by All10 alone.