PDA

View Full Version : Show all work

Zorro
01-30-2005, 12:23 AM
I am a little bit confused about the 'essay' questions. How much work am I supposed to show?

Should I be stating the formulas that I use or is merely showing the calculations enough?
Can I just write down variables (e.g. Q) or should I be saying what they mean?
Can I take shortcuts or do I need to write down each individual addition etc.
Some questions state "show all work", and some don't. Does that mean I can just write down a numeric answer for the latter?

Utanapishtim
01-30-2005, 04:04 AM
I am a little bit confused about the 'essay' questions. How much work am I supposed to show?

Should I be stating the formulas that I use or is merely showing the calculations enough?
Can I just write down variables (e.g. Q) or should I be saying what they mean?
Can I take shortcuts or do I need to write down each individual addition etc.
Some questions state "show all work", and some don't. Does that mean I can just write down a numeric answer for the latter?

I think it comes down to who authored the question, and whether they decided to tell you to show all work or not. Showing your work is generally a good idea because it allows for part marks in case of missteps. In any event, you need to show enough work for the marker to follow it -- writing down the initial formula and then the final numeric answer is typically not a great idea.

Assuming you have the right approach and correct answer, it would be sufficient to show an initial set-up and just to sketch over the calculations, in order to get the points. But the more you show, the better potential for partial marks if you've not, in fact, the right answer, but still most of a correct approach.

snafu
01-30-2005, 09:50 AM
Try
From M/C to Written Exams (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=31473)

Exam 7 Study Tips (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=43969)

Both contain some pretty good tidbits