PDA

View Full Version : Feldblum's PAP Asset Share Pricing Fctrs-What is that symbol?

radrach
02-20-2005, 03:57 PM
I feel silly asking, but what is the symbol that looks like a curved less-than sign?

Avi
02-20-2005, 04:52 PM
Don't feel silly at all, his notes are known for there improper transformation of certain symbols. Either the pdf was created incorrectly, or someone should educate them on the use of LaTeX.

The curved less-than sign usually SHOULD BE a minus.

The comgruent sign usually SHOULD BE a "divided-by."

Check the RBC paper for more examples of symbol metathesis and trasnformation :swear:

Levin
03-04-2005, 01:10 PM
Don't feel silly at all, his notes are known for there improper transformation of certain symbols. Either the pdf was created incorrectly, or someone should educate them on the use of LaTeX.

The curved less-than sign usually SHOULD BE a minus.

The comgruent sign usually SHOULD BE a "divided-by."

Check the RBC paper for more examples of symbol metathesis and trasnformation :swear:Thanks, Avi. I was pretty sure that's what was meant, but the independent observation (and technical explanation) is reassuring.

"http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/mimeteximages/428564f86f05b5edb8c58c2a54002803.gif" should be "-", and

"\equiv" should be "http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/mimeteximages/e6adf0240356afd2ea1a68a1903b29fd.gif" or "/".

Didon
01-07-2006, 10:39 PM
:bump:

What do you know, there was already a thread on this. Now I don't have to ask! Bumping in case anyone else had the same problem.

Levin
01-08-2006, 11:24 PM
:bump:

What do you know, there was already a thread on this. Now I don't have to ask! Bumping in case anyone else had the same problem.
And I must apologize profusely for the useless images in my post. They USED TO be perfectly good MimeTeX symbols, but, well, Avi is better at griping about that than I.

Avi
01-09-2006, 11:56 AM
And I must apologize profusely for the useless images in my post. They USED TO be perfectly good MimeTeX symbols, but, well, Avi is better at griping about that than I.

:soap:

The Pinball Wizard has been alerted.

Levin
01-19-2006, 04:56 PM
:soap:

The Pinball Wizard has been alerted.
Thousand thanks to you and Tom!