PDA

View Full Version : partial credit

Skantown
04-12-2005, 03:52 PM
Sorry if this has been asked before...how does partial credit apply on the upper level exams? Let's say you have a part worth 2pts. and you get the theory correct but make some stupid arithmetic mistake. Will you at least get some credit or is it all or nothing?

JustASix
04-12-2005, 04:03 PM
There is partial credit.

From what I understand from the seminar, if you demonstrate that you understand the theory but make a computational error, you will get most of the credit.

jk
04-14-2005, 12:41 AM
Often the problems are chained in such a way that the answer to one part of a question feeds into the later parts. For example, a question may have parts a, b, and c worth one point each. Say I make a mistake in part (a). Then I follow the formulas for parts (b) and (c), and I do everything correctly, except that these formulas use the answer from part (a). So I get (b) and (c) wrong as well. But my answers for (b) and (c) were correct given that my answer for part (a) had been correct. Is it possible under such circumstances to get full credit for (b) and (c)?

Lucy
04-14-2005, 07:36 AM
Yes, it is possible to get full credit for b & c in that situation. It is also possible that you will lose some points, because once you make a mistake, it is harder for the graders to follow your work and be sure the rest is "correct". For instance, if you do something in a different way, which happens to be mathematically equivalent to the expected way, if all you numbers are right you will probably get credit, but if your numbers are wrong (perhaps because of an error in part a) the grader might not realize that your method "works", too.