PDA

View Full Version : 8I - ASOP 7

GadgetGeek
08-07-2002, 03:09 PM
Syllabus says Sept 2001 version. June 2002 version hit my desk today. My guess is that any question related to this will be concept based. Do you think we need to know both versions? I haven't read either yet to know what the differences are. Can I safely read just the 2002 version? I guess I should also ask this question of the SOA E&E committee.

EdFrog
08-07-2002, 08:10 PM
Just the Sept 2001 version. They can only ask a question related to what was on the syllabus. I wouldn't be surprised if they used the 2002 version on next year's exam.

Healey
08-07-2002, 08:39 PM
"My guess is that any question related to this will be concept based." :lol:
They usually ask particularly detailed questions about the ASOP's. I suggest you learn ALL of the details.

Abducens
08-08-2002, 11:40 AM
That this thread implies the SOA is familiar with its 8I syllabus and intends to stick to it when writing questions is funny enough by itself.

GadgetGeek
08-08-2002, 01:25 PM
Thanks. I just think it to be clueless that I am to be responsible for an obsolete Standard of Practice. I understand needing to know a bit of history regarding tax laws, and I would understand a bit more if this ASOP had been in place for several years (not the <12 mos for this one). But then again, these are the same people that allowed the main textbook to do away with commutation columns because nobody uses them.

Abducens
08-22-2002, 09:23 AM
OK, I finally read the new ASOP. I'd like to thank the geek beancounting actuaries everywhere responsible for this fraternity prank of an ASOP. Thank you for making me memorize every possible minute detail of cash flow testing. Are you sure we shouldn't take into account moon phases when projecting policy cash flows.

Next let's look at Conflict With Applicable Law - it doesn't count as Deviation from Standard, but document that you are deviating in accordance with the law. I guess they think this doesn't fall under the original disclosure requirement of Deviation from Standard.

Also, I love the note about Retention - "It's not necessary to retain the documents on your person - for example, they may be kept at the actuary's employer." Gotta love actuaries. I can just imagine it. Derr, does this mean we have to keep them on us at all times? I guess there are actuaries driving around with trunkloads of their CFT documentation, just in case the ASB police stop them.

STUPID!!!! Thank you ASB, for nothing.