PDA

View Full Version : Worst Reading for C8I

nbd
08-27-2002, 01:52 AM
What's your worst reading for Course 8I?

Mine is Income Based Reserve. (even though that's my job.)

Abducens
08-27-2002, 09:22 AM
That was the worst one for me too, on try #1. This time around I'm reorganizing that one into bunches of notes under the heading "FAS 60," "FAS 97," etc. Lots of irritating flipping around to produce those, but worth it I think.

They're probably not going to ask a question that cuts across the swath of accounting rules for a particular issue, which is the way note is organized.

The worst SN is probably the 5-factor dividend formula.

nbd
08-27-2002, 09:00 PM
Do I expect a question from 5 factor dividend formula?

Abducens
08-28-2002, 09:00 AM
Possibly. My take is that most people are not going crazy over it.

I am betting that no one else is looking at it very closely either, so I won't be much worse off than most other candidates. If they do ask anything, I think it will be something easy plug-and-chug, just to make sure people can't completely ignore it.

I'll memorize the formulas as best I can 2-3 days before the test. Any question they ask, you can probably snag partial credit just by having the formulas memorized.

2TTC
08-28-2002, 10:08 AM
Is that Income-Based Reserves by Smith & Kunesh? If so, it's also on the 8F syllabus, and is the worst reading for me so far. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't keep switching between the different FAS's and US, Canada, & Australia. I wish they could have just picked one FAS (e.g., FAS 60), and explained everything for that; then at the end, mention some ways how the other FAS's differ.

nbd
08-29-2002, 07:43 PM
removed

vincetylee
08-29-2002, 08:20 PM
Can't really decide.

"CLHIA & Financial Reporting for Life Insurance Enterprise" and "An expanded Financila Structure for Ordinary Dividends" are equally annoying.

Cheers,

Vince

mayreeh
08-30-2002, 09:19 AM
"An expanded Financila Structure for Ordinary Dividends" is horrific - but Vince has a point.....

"CLHIA & Financial Reporting for Life Insurance Enterprise" is pretty bad.

The one that really got me though was the product study note that went on and one about term as though ART were the hot selling product in the marketplace. How many years since they updated that thing?

mayreeh
09-08-2002, 04:42 PM
OK. I take it back.

Income based reserves does stink. I found it easy reading through the first time. But trying to condense it for memorization requires rewriting the whole thing.

Act8I
10-25-2002, 11:55 AM
"CLHIA & Financial Reporting for Life Insurance Enterprise" is pretty bad.

takes the cake - and it was written in Canandian.... NOT

also the Minimum VADB study Note....