PDA

View Full Version : Reynolds, Thorvardson Actuarial Seminars??

Not Mike
08-27-2002, 12:10 PM
They are having an 8G/8M seminar, anyone know is this is worthwhile???

bm
08-28-2002, 02:15 AM
Never attend any seminar by Reynolds. Definitely not worth spending time in St Louis - in a crowded, loud and smoky hotel with a sprawling strip mall across from the hotel. The multiple-choice questions just drove me crazy and I really don't see much value in completing answering these questions given the fact that all the exam questions are essays. Worst of all, quite a number of the practice problems and handouts contained outdated and conflicting material!!!!!

wirchy
08-28-2002, 09:53 AM
Never attend any seminar by Reynolds.
go to www.ratemyprofessors.com
then select Canada, University of Waterloo and Frank Reynolds to see what his students think of his classes.

falcon
12-17-2002, 01:22 PM
Some people like him and some don"t. He expects a lot from people and ties to teach people how to pass actuarial exams. His university courses are often at that level and require you to be up to date. Those who want something easy don't like him nor do those who don't get along with themselves let alone anyone else.

C5Funus
01-07-2003, 01:09 PM
Never attend any seminar by Reynolds. Definitely not worth spending time in St Louis - in a crowded, loud and smoky hotel with a sprawling strip mall across from the hotel. The multiple-choice questions just drove me crazy and I really don't see much value in completing answering these questions given the fact that all the exam questions are essays. Worst of all, quite a number of the practice problems and handouts contained outdated and conflicting material!!!!!

He's nothing more than a sexist bully. Seriously. Avoid at all costs, especially if you're female.

The only advantage I could see for going is only if your company pays for it. You'll get a few days away from work and home to concentrate, and can hopefully commiserate with others who were hoodwinked into taking his seminar.

granite
05-22-2003, 04:07 PM
Sexist is about the last thing I would call him - if anything he favours the girls. But he has had a lot of life experiences and knows things that do not come out of the text book. He relied some of the feminists one year my is comments on family violence. They were livid. What I have always wondered is what they did about 2-3 years latter when Statistics Canada came out with the same ideas (only not sugar coated)!!!!
Maube some people should grow up and realize he does not just read from a book but tries to make you think.

scooter
05-22-2003, 04:39 PM
"he has had a lot of life experiences and knows things that do not come out of the text book"

Who cares, we are not being tested on his life experiences or things that do not come out of the text books and other readings.

Effa
05-22-2003, 06:26 PM
Sexist is about the last thing I would call him - if anything he favours the girls. But he has had a lot of life experiences and knows things that do not come out of the text book. He relied some of the feminists one year my is comments on family violence. They were livid. What I have always wondered is what they did about 2-3 years latter when Statistics Canada came out with the same ideas (only not sugar coated)!!!!
Maube some people should grow up and realize he does not just read from a book but tries to make you think.

This thread cracks me up. Reynolds could not be any more out of touch with what is needed to pass actuarial exams, or what is relevant in the real world. He's stuck in time at, I would guess, about 1960. Here are some tidbits from the 1st-yr course I was required to suffer through. Though they sound like jokes, he was dead serious about all of these -

1) All women in the class were accused of being there only to get their "M.R.S. degree". Okay, how sexist is that?!!
2) Spinach is dangerous - highly carcinogenic. Whatever.
3) Hockey helmets are bad because they result in too many neck injuries. WTF?
4) Running is bad for you. Knees just can't handle the pounding. Talk about bad rumors from a century ago...

Students have written letters of complaint to the Dean, but they can't seem to get rid of him...

Phil
05-22-2003, 06:43 PM
Sexist is about the last thing I would call him - if anything he favours the girls.In that case, sexist is the first thing I would call him.

scooter
05-22-2003, 06:53 PM
Great point Phil!

wildflower
06-03-2003, 02:32 PM
Sorry guys but I agree with Granite. I took a look at the critiques that were handed back He got blasted for having sessions on Sunday. There were some that did not like the lack of numerics BUT 2 out of three said it was average or better compared with other seminars thay had taken. Maybe the ones that are pushing their own manuals and seminars shoiuld stop and think for a moment.

scooter
06-03-2003, 03:14 PM
Wildflower,

Tell that to Granite/Frank. He is the only one out here "pushing" his seminar. No one else (to my knowledge) is offering a seminar for 8M and there is only one other for 8G and I have not seen the person running that one pushing it here.

You seem a little suspicious too. Did you attend his seminar last fall? Are you just another identity that Frank is posting under? I see you are a new user and this is your first post. Besides, if you aren't Frank how would you know the result of a survey that he gave?

C8 Guy
06-03-2003, 03:16 PM
Stop and think about what?

Since you just joined this discussion forum, can you tell us anything about yourself that would encourage us to give your opinion any weight?

scooter
06-03-2003, 03:20 PM
Good point C7 guy. Wildflower, did you go to the Reynolds seminar last fall? Which exam did you take? Did you pass?

Wigmeister General
06-03-2003, 05:21 PM
Who gives a poop?

Man, can't you guys figure out life for yourselves?! :x

You must study. That's all. No freakin' seminar can help you unless you've done the preparation before the seminar. You're paying these guys to motivate you to study. That's all.

And may I say, I have never before been in the company of so many :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh:

Losers

C8 Guy
06-03-2003, 07:50 PM
Man, can't you guys figure out life for yourselves?! :x

Actuaril seminar=life?!? You're pathetic.

p.s. I don't pay them anything, my employer does. Can't you figure life out for yourself? :shake: