PDA

View Full Version : Exam 7: Cheery news

Sandman
09-30-2002, 07:29 PM
For those of us waiting for the results of the August seminar, cheery news from the SOA: the passing percentage at recent seminars, which had been running at 95%, has recently dropped down to 85%. Something to chew on during the remaining 1 1/2 weeks to the announcement of results on the August seminar. (Aren't you glad I passed this along?)

Probabilities are still highly in our favor ... but somebody fails it, and wouldn't that be painful. :o

P-value: are you out there? You don't have to be in the bottom 5% anymore to fail, it's up to 15%. :P

Greetings to all the gang from Venice Beach.

Abducens
10-01-2002, 12:03 PM
It's only a matter of time before they make the pass rate no higher than 60%. Hurry up and pass your C7.

Miss Congeniality
10-01-2002, 11:40 PM
I know it been discussed before, but I could not find it. I am trying to plan when I should take exam 7. I am looking for the following info:
1. How far in advance before the actual pre-test date should I register?
2. How long does it take them to grade pre-test?
3. When should I sign up for the seminar to make it? (I would not want any surprises there).
4. Do you find practice specific seminars better or general seminars are fine as well? I would especially like to hear from Pension people on this.

Thanks for your help.

Jack
10-02-2002, 11:02 AM
Miss C:

I can't answer all of your questions but I can offer some advise.

Study enough so you can answer 2/3 of the multiple choice questions w/o loooking up the answers.

Know where in the binder all the readings are so you can find the answers to the essay questions in less than 30 sec.

Use dividers for main sections and tabs for subsections

Write brief outlines in the margins if appropriate.

Speed is everything.

We've had 5 students take part 7 since its inception and nobody's failed either the pre-test or seminar.

Traina
10-02-2002, 11:11 AM
In my opinion, General seminars tend to be easier as they don't assume that you have any practice specific knowledge.

Me
10-02-2002, 11:23 AM
I know it been discussed before, but I could not find it. I am trying to plan when I should take exam 7. I am looking for the following info:
1. How far in advance before the actual pre-test date should I register?
3-4 weeks at least
2. How long does it take them to grade pre-test?
It was 4 weeks when I took it last winter.
3. When should I sign up for the seminar to make it? (I would not want any surprises there).
Well, there's the tricky part. To play it safe, I would plan on not going to the 7 most immediately after your results come out. You would have to bet that you passed the pretest and send your application in before the results came out. If you're wrong it costs $100 (I think - might be $200). I would plan to go farther than you think you need to from your pretest. Then I'd send in the application as soon as I found out I passed the pretest. There's info about which 7's are closed that gets updated on the SOA E&E section website.
4. Do you find practice specific seminars better or general seminars are fine as well? I would especially like to hear from Pension people on this.
Go to a general session! The pass rates have historically been substantially higher for the general than for the practice specific. I think the main problem is that the practice-specific instructors don't have nearly as much experience doing the seminars and they are often more interested in their subject matter than in the overall objectives course 7 is supposed to accomplish. The general session instructors are very good at teaching exactly what you need to know to complete the project successfully. You can ask any questions you want about the subject matter of the project, so whether it's a life, pension, or health thing shouldn't make much difference.

Good luck!

Sandman
10-02-2002, 04:46 PM
Miss Congeniality:

You can register for the pretest two weeks ahead of time (see the pre-test application on the SOA web site). I'd probably add a week or two for comfort.

I agree with Me that it takes about 4 weeks to grade. For the SOA, that's practically light speed.

As for the seminar, keep in mind that even if you apply, they will put you at the bottom of the list until you pass your pre-test. I passed mine and then applied for the next seminar, but it was full. I had to wait for the next one. I think they are running more seminars next year, so maybe it will be easier to get in. I would note that if you apply for a seminar and it's full, they won't charge you the $100 to change to another seminar. I don't know if they'll charge you the $100 if you fail the pretest, since they don't really register you for the seminar until you pass the pretest. Safest course is probably to wait until you pass the pretest to apply for the seminar.

I'm pension, I went to a general session, it was fine. It was also interesting to meet actuaries from other disciplines, although it would have been nice to network with other pension actuaries.

Good luck.

sb_jim
10-08-2002, 11:20 AM
I put this Friday on my calendar as the date that Course 7 August seminar results should be released. Of course I am now checking for results almost hourly now. Any inside/outside information of when the release will be so I can think about something else for awhile?

FSA Wannabe
10-08-2002, 12:12 PM
I have this Friday on my calendar too!

I'm going nuts! The thought of having to take this again - yuck!

Sandman
10-09-2002, 10:50 AM
I read in an earlier thread that they released results on Thursday morning (Thursday is 8 weeks after the last day of the seminar, after all). So I'm going to wait until tomorrow to start checking every hour. :)

FSA Wannabe
10-09-2002, 02:25 PM
I hope your right Sandman. I need to get some work done instead of refreshing the website constantly!

WWSituation
10-10-2002, 10:31 AM
The worst is when it takes a few seconds and nothing changes. The tease!!

Ham and Cheese
10-10-2002, 10:46 AM
So are we pretty sure that results are coming out today???? I hate when I'm geared up all day for results and nothing happens.

Someone said other posts indicated today (Thurs) was the historical day they've come out? Does anyone know the typicall timing??? (I know that C7 pretest came out in the morning when I took it)

Sandman
10-10-2002, 11:28 AM
I take it back; it's not Thurs morn, it's Thurs afternoon.

See the timestamp in the following thread:

http://www.actuary.ca/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=5682

So y'all chill out until this afternoon.

:viola:

WWSituation
10-10-2002, 11:34 AM
The time stamp was 9am. The question is what time zone is (s)he in?

FSA Wannabe
10-10-2002, 11:43 AM
Could be Pacific time which is 1 PM Eastern time.

ykw
10-10-2002, 12:09 PM
I think the time stamp adjusts to your own time zone. I'm in the west, and the time says 6:23am when I view the post. Let's hope they come out today, I'm wasting too much time hitting refresh and reading everyone's posts.

FSA Wannabe
10-10-2002, 12:56 PM
Maybe we can just ask the Course 7 coordinator if they are coming out today?

Ham and Cheese
10-10-2002, 03:18 PM
do the C7 results get published on the HOTLINE? I dialed that number and it rang and rang and rang. (Always the indication for regular exams that the results were within the hour of being published).

I'm not trying to add to the hype, but I can't get anything accomplished today, so why should you.

WWSituation
10-10-2002, 03:31 PM
Thanks for making me refresh continously for 15 minutes. I feel like Ham & Cheese just gave us the collective Ralphie Treatmen!

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/simmons/021010.html

One thing's for sure ... at least we know the most uncomfortable scene in TV history: Tony's sister and Ralphie from last week's Sopranos. That will never be topped. It only took the phrase "The Ralphie Treatment" four days to enter my permanent vocabulary

Sandman
10-11-2002, 12:03 PM
Results are up.

http://www.soa.org/eande/c7seminar_all081202.html

FSA Wannabe
10-11-2002, 12:21 PM
Excellent - finished with that one!!!!!!

I'm so glad I don't have to go through that again!

Giffy
10-11-2002, 12:36 PM
Congratulations to all who "froze" in baltimore.

yunr
10-11-2002, 12:39 PM
what do you mean by "froze" in baltimore? Oh!! the hotel messed up!

Giffy
10-11-2002, 12:42 PM
It was about 60 degrees in our conference room each day.

yunr
10-11-2002, 12:44 PM
I wonder if they have stats by each session.

What a relief! :P

WWSituation
10-11-2002, 12:50 PM
Relief if exactly right. People's reactions are "oh, thats the one that you just show up and pass. Congrats."

No glory here, just goodol fashioned progress. This wasn't exactly grueling, but it was no gimme and it took around 7-8 months to complete all told.

Congrats to all who passed.

Traina
10-11-2002, 12:52 PM
Hooray! I passed!! What a relief.

yunr
10-11-2002, 03:57 PM
It was about 60 degrees in our conference room each day.

Were you in the pension session or the general one? Our instructor (the british guy) asked hotel to "turn down the A.C" they thought he meant "Turn down the temperature". Now these all became sweet memories (ugh that was a bad line)

Giffy
10-14-2002, 08:46 AM
General.