PDA

View Full Version : CFB: Most points scored in the shortest time

Levin
10-26-2005, 10:40 AM
Help me here, fans of obscure college football records.

1. Division II Central Washington apparently set an all-divisions scoring record (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2203859) by putting up 27 points on Western Oregon over a period of 79 seconds. An earlier Seattle Times (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/collegesports/2002577954_smalls23.html) article from 10/23 puts the length of the frenzy at 63 seconds. But I guess 79 is the official time.

2. While I appreciate slam-bam scoreboard running as much as the next guy, I don't see how this record is calculated. It seems it could easily be an ill-defined, rare, know-it-when-you-see-it phenomenon where there isn't any competition for the record.

3. It is obviously not based on "highest average points per second." Any single score has an infinite HAPPS. A touchdown off of a fumbled kickoff return would give as high an HAPPS as you could hope for, and that happens from time to time.

4. Frankly, I think the more interesting and really the more telling statistic in the CWU game is the number of consecutive defensive scores. The first score in the 27 point streak was a TD pass. The next three TDs were defensive TDs off of a fumble and 2 INTs.

5. There we go, a better stat. Number of consecutive possessions on which the defense scored. We could make an exception for the case where the turnover sets up a short play for the offense, but I don't think we need to.

6. This is crucial to my study for Part 6! PLEASE HELP!!!

Levin
10-27-2005, 04:52 PM
I am begging. Please. Help me. This is more important than studying. (Especially if you are taking CAS Part 6.):burn:

Mick Fan
10-27-2005, 05:28 PM
This is strange. There should be a record for Most Points in one minute, Most points in two minutes, or something like that.

Is there a "most points in 79 seconds?"

Dr T Non-Fan
10-27-2005, 05:37 PM
Red Grange put in four (?) TDs quickly in a game some 80 years ago.
Hmm, took him 12 game minutes to do that.

Pseudolus
10-27-2005, 05:44 PM
I would think that once this event had already happened, the question would be:

"Have this many or more points ever been scored in this much or less time?"

So, while this game may be a record, it's not what I'd call a "singular" record, as there could be multiple games for which this question would be answered "no".

3rookie
10-28-2005, 12:10 AM
Maybe a box score of Georgia Tech vs. Cumberland from 90 years ago would be helpful. 222-0.

http://www.cumberland.edu/about/gotc/pbp.html

R2T
10-28-2005, 07:26 AM
At Homecoming my sophomore year (div III) we scored 4 TD's in less than two minutes after being down by 20. First TD was offensive. Failed, onside kick, 3 quick timeouts, punt block return TD, successful onside kick 3 plays, offensive TD to go up 1, INT return for TD to seal it in waning seconds. Rather exciting for D III. Not that this would be common, but I would bet there are many similar instances in D III. The meltdown factor was in full effect.