PDA

View Full Version : Does Exam CSP build on Exam DP

Lois Lane
10-31-2005, 03:22 PM
tomorrow i'm supossed to sign up for november's SOA mtg. i want to get the PD so that i can eventually get out of taking Exam DP.

problem: i may have to pay for it all myself!!! (having trouble justifying the expense when i'm not even an ASA yet.)

question: does exam CSP build on exam DP? ie, will i be screwed if i try to study for CSP w/o ever seeing the DP material?

i tried to get an answer from the SOA, but i'm not getting a response. i'm assuming they've been busy w/webcasts lately. anyone have any idea? a response ASAP would be greatly appreciated, b/c i don't want to spend $1,100 (plus travel & food) on a scheme that will hurt my exam progress in the long run. THANKS!

Willie Mosconi
10-31-2005, 03:44 PM
Lois,

My guess is that they haven't even begun to formulate the material for those exams yet, since those are almost the last to be implemented. With that said, I don't think they would have developed the transition rules in such a way to jeopardize our chances of passing CSP if we used PD to get credit for DP. So I don't think you will be SOL!

Go ahead and get your PD!

Lois Lane
11-01-2005, 09:46 AM
I don't think they would have developed the transition rules in such a way to jeopardize our chances of passing CSP if we used PD to get credit for DP.logically, that make sense. but this is the SOA we're talking about. ;)

thanks for the encouragement. i'm gonna sign up for that meeting now!

Willie Mosconi
11-01-2005, 10:44 AM
By the way, we obviously can't attend all of the sessions we would like to at the annual meeting. But from what I gather, just about all of the sessions will be available for future listening on CD, and those recorded sessions can also be used for PD. So even if you attend 10.5 hours at the meeting, you can purchase CD's for 3 other sessions to get the other 4.5 hours of the 15 you can get before you file your plan next year. Plus, you can print off the presentations from the SOA website.

James Madison
11-02-2005, 09:25 AM
Lois,

If Company Sponsor Perspective builds on Pricing and Design then you can purchase the Pricing and Design study notes and read them in your spare time to get the required background material. Don’t throw away your exam earned PD credits (which I'm guessing you have) and put yourself through a 6 hour memorization exam like Pricing and Design when you can earn it via the easier PD route.

Lois Lane
11-03-2005, 09:16 AM
spare time:lolup:

actually, you have a very good point about background readings. no, i'm not planning to "throw away" the PD. some other folks pointed out the same thing you did, about how PD is an easier route in my case than taking Exam DP. i just wanted to make extra, extra sure before i spent the $1,075 registration free, plus travel & food.

btw, i got approval for a 50% reimbursement! (that's much better than the 0% i was told to expect.)

bdschobel
12-05-2005, 08:34 PM
The two exams are intended to be independent of each other. We recognize that people will take them in both possible orders. Neither order is preferred. (Simultaneous is impossible, of course!)

Bruce

Math333
12-08-2005, 01:44 AM
Has anyone found out if current exam 8 would be more similar to Exam CSP or more similar to Exam DP?

And would you need to spend the same amount of time studying for Exam CSP, compared to current Exam 8?

bdschobel
12-08-2005, 02:02 AM
No one can answer your first question yet. The exams are not that far along in development.

Regarding your second question, each of the "big" new FSA-level exams is intended to be roughly comparable to the existing Course 8 in terms of work effort.

Bruce

working girl
01-12-2006, 08:34 PM
I think I'm in a similar boat with Lois. I have a few PD left, but never had to do a project. Now I see that there is a "capstone" where you have to do a presentation at the FAC. At this point, it's pretty doubtful I could pass CSP (having passed the Life Pricing exam when it was 310?) and then continually failing part 8 due to the financial questions - so yes, I have passed the same pricing exam at least 4 times.

What does the capstone entail if you never do a project?

I can't find any working links on SOA website that describe any of this. And it's not answered in their common questions.

Farmer Mac
01-15-2006, 07:14 PM
Bruce,

I have 1-4, 6, 8. I will be taking Course 7. Is there any way I can get out of CSP? I feel that i should be able to do PD or something else to get out of CSP since i have so much time in 2006.

Is there any chance these rules may be relaxed for those in my position? I will have seven exams. I will be even further along since I have 8 and not 5. I just feel that I am being punished by having to take the additional Course 8 - especially since I have all of 2006 to work on PD.

bdschobel
01-16-2006, 11:17 AM
I see no possibility of the transition rules changing at this point.

Bruce

Farmer Mac
01-17-2006, 02:11 PM
The rules were changed for people with 1-7 who sat for C8 in November -they were able to start PD credit irregardless of whether they passed.

dec
01-17-2006, 02:30 PM
The rules were changed for people with 1-7 who sat for C8 in November -they were able to start PD credit irregardless of whether they passed.

Unless SoA screws up something big again, it's unlikely they will change the rules.

bdschobel
01-17-2006, 02:49 PM
Yes, but that was solely because of the Course 8 printing problems. We wanted to help people stay on track toward FSA and not have to spend the better part of a year twiddling their thumbs.

Bruce

Farmer Mac
01-27-2006, 06:11 PM
If I take a couple smaller alternative exam tracks (e.g., FRM) and gain 15 credits for each, can I file a PD plan and complete the remaining credits to get out of CSP?

Deja vu
01-30-2006, 11:02 AM
If I take a couple smaller alternative exam tracks (e.g., FRM) and gain 15 credits for each, can I file a PD plan and complete the remaining credits to get out of CSP?

Yes. The exam validated PD units can be taken before you file the plan. They are not subject to the 15 credit pre plan filing restriction. Also, the Product Development CD, worth 12 PDs, has an effective date of the date you actually view it. So you can file your plan, and immediately watch it.

The FRM is not a cakewalk, by any means. It is a 6 hour multiple choice exam that focuses on topic breadth, unlike the deep depth typical of SOA exams. Reading list is some 5-7,000 pages. Summaries are VERY useful for this exam. Pass ratio is about 50%. ... and, yes, I've passed the exam.

Hope this helps.

Farmer Mac
02-01-2006, 04:04 PM
When is the deadline to file a PD plan (i.e., by when would I need these exam credits)? I'm sure this info is somewhere close, but cannot find it.

wat?
02-01-2006, 04:06 PM
When is the deadline to file a PD plan (i.e., by when would I need these exam credits)? I'm sure this info is somewhere close, but cannot find it.

The executed plan should be in by June 30, 2007.