PDA

View Full Version : APPLIED STATS VEE ?

its_me
11-09-2005, 09:28 AM
i hope this this is the right place to ask this question.
I did my Masters ( M Sc) in Stats from Bombay University.We have done a vast amount of Regression in our coursework. For the Applied Stats VEE, i am sure i would get credit for the RS part of it, not sure about TS( though i am sure we did have some time series and forecast, but its been a while and i cannot recollect enough)
I have written a detailed mail to the Professors at the Dept, and also that if they submit it once, it will be helpful to all those graduating from BMY Univ Campus who will need the credits for VEE. I have no resonse from them.
What do i do now? I live in NJ , not visiting India in the near future where i can go & see the Profs.

Do i just do the VEE for both RS & TS?

Anyone else in my boat?

bikram
11-09-2005, 11:08 AM
Writing to professors back in Mumbai and hoping they would respond in a timely manner is a BIG mistake.
Simply writing to them is not enough. They would need to provide a detailed offical syllabus to the SOA. Soa would then do their own due diligence process. The whole thing might take months (if at all the entire correspondence does take place),
I would encourage you to take the CAS transitional exams or NEAS courses or Actex.

its_me
11-09-2005, 11:40 AM
You are right, bikram. Its been more than 4 months since i wrote them the first mail. I haven't recieved a single reply to any of the mails i sent to them.

Will SOA give credit for the CAS VEE exam? That way, i can avoid the project part of NEAS.

Gosh! I get the feeling i am stuck. So many years out of college, no US experience, 2 SOA exams, and no interviews, let alone jobs for the last 3 months i have been trying . Wish i could talk it all out!

bikram
11-09-2005, 01:13 PM
Feel free to post here or in the careers section. Most people are very sympathetic (and we have all been through those stages).
Yes, SOA would give full credit for any CAS transitional VEE exams that you may take. I personally don't think project part of NEAS is going to be very difficult, and its also not likely to take more than a few days of effort. In addition, based on other precedent, there is really no uniquely correct way of doing a project. Just do your best and submit, if you do decide to take the NEAS.
Right now taking the CAS vee seems much more easy approach.

smaug
11-10-2005, 05:20 AM
I have bachelors and masters in stat from Indian Statistical Institute. But I didn't bother asking for credit from CAS. figured it would take much less time to clear the CAS VEE and that I did. no idea when SOA or CAS starts giving credit to student's from Indian universities ... but if it happens it will be great. VEE exams are much easier than a standard actuarial exam, but helps in distracting you from full heartedly preparing for the actual exams ......

justarrived
11-14-2005, 08:52 AM
Try sending someone - friends or family member to the department asking for what you want. I guess they bby univ staff might not be that internet savvy, ow they are quite prompt at helping students if they can.

Its good to know that more and more bby univ people are taking up actuarial exams.

ginku
12-05-2005, 11:53 PM
I did a course in Econometrics too, guess i'll just have to revise basic stuff. Is this exam tough?

smaug
12-10-2005, 01:11 PM
should be a cake for u