PDA

View Full Version : Quitting a temp job after 3 days...

ma_562
12-02-2005, 10:11 PM
I am seriously considering this, actually 99% sure that I'm not gonna show up on Monday, first off, will the temp agency chew me out and secondly, should I really give a damn?

altalingua
12-02-2005, 10:31 PM
I am seriously considering this, actually 99% sure that I'm not gonna show up on Monday, first off, will the temp agency chew me out and secondly, should I really give a damn?

What is a temp job? Is that the same as an internship?

ma_562
12-02-2005, 10:44 PM
you register with a temp agency, they usually specialize in clerical and customer service type positions, they try to find you a job and usually you work a max of 90 days with that company, after that you either become hired by the company or leave, i'm still not sure how the temp agency gets paid...

tommie frazier
12-02-2005, 10:48 PM
happens all the tine i bet

chew u out? sure. will u care? doubt it. will they get u another job? doubt it.

guess who?
12-03-2005, 03:05 AM
Think about it from the Temp Agency's point of view. You are making them look bad because they are sending you to a job site for a company but you are conking out on them. Now they're going to have to send another person to do the job and you have cost them $$$. It doesn't look good for the temp agency.

Incredible Hulctuary
12-03-2005, 06:02 AM
Is it really that bad that you can't endure it for a month or two?

squareone
12-03-2005, 09:49 AM
If your boss's name is Michael Scott and you work with a guy named Dwight, I completely understand.

Pseudolus
12-03-2005, 10:09 AM
I've done the temp thing in the past, and I know it can really suck. Some things to consider:

How long have you worked for this temp agancy? Have you been "flaky" (from their POV) before, or have you otherwise shown yourself to be a decent employee?

What kind of bad is this job? Are the people mean? Is the work just boring? If your complaint is something other than "man, work sucks" - especially if it might violate the terms the company signed with your agency - you're in a much better position to be quitting.

Have you said anything to your temp agency? It's best not to leave them high and dry - at least not if you want any shot at a decent assignment in the future. Go in at least Monday and tell your agency that they need to arrange for another person to take over from you. Perhaps give them at least one day to manage a transition.

Keep in mind that when you apply for a "real", non-temp job, you are going to want references - both from the companies you worked for, and from your temp agency.

ma_562
12-03-2005, 11:32 AM
at this point, I am going to cut ties with the temp agency, this is the first assignment they gave me so I haven't been flaky before, and yes I can't stand the job, I might as well tell you guys what it is, they're actually training me to be a bill collector, and the assignment is actually for a major automobile company... so yeah this isn't even gonna go on my resume

LoneGirl
12-03-2005, 01:24 PM
Could you maybe show up on Monday, but call the temp agency and tell them it's not working out and you plan to quit after Monday? That would at least give them a day to find someone else to take over your position on Tuesday. I think giving a one day notice id better than just not showing up.

asdfasdf
12-03-2005, 02:12 PM
If your not puting it on your resume and you won't work for the temp company in future, and you don't care about the lost income, then just don't show up, call the temp agency and tell them you quit. Why work at a job you hate for no reason?

Apollywog
12-03-2005, 02:34 PM
why did you accept that position in the first place? or does the temp agency not give you a choice?

And can you really not endure a few more days and give the temp agency a few days of notice? Has this always been your work ethic / attitude? Ie) if you are at an actuarial job and decides you don't like what you are doing, are you just going to walk out like you are planning to do now...?

ma_562
12-03-2005, 03:19 PM
this is just one of those situations where I should've known what I was getting into, temp agencies do tell you one thing when it really is something else, and I my work ethic is not like this, my main reason for leaving is so that this wouldn't hinder my ability to prepare for Exam P which I am retaking

Pseudolus
12-03-2005, 03:34 PM
If the temp agency actually lied to you, then I wouldn't worry too much about walking out on them. If not, do the decent thing and allow them time for a transition. Unless the company you're working at is beating you with whips and chains, how bad can it be to put in another couple days? Even if you don't think walking out on your responsibilities here will directly bit you in the butt, it can't hurt to practice not being a jerk.

asdfasdf
12-03-2005, 08:20 PM
If the company you're working for is still training you, they would probably rather not waste another day of their time if they know you're going to quit.

Incredible Hulctuary
12-04-2005, 02:34 PM
this is just one of those situations where I should've known what I was getting into, temp agencies do tell you one thing when it really is something else...There forms your escape strategy. Say that the job is very different from what you were told (or what you reasonably interpreted it to be based on the information you were given), and you would not have taken it to begin with if you knew what it really was about.

jackj109
12-04-2005, 02:54 PM
Go to work on monday, call the temp agency on monday morning. Explain your valid reasons for not wanting to work there and if they're a decent agency they'll try to switch you to something else. A lot of times they'll check with you anyway to see if it's working out. If you need references and if you need a job you shouldn't do anything flaky.

Kris Kross
12-04-2005, 03:06 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about it. I know someone who quit a temp job on her FIRST MORNING of work. She was waiting to go into some lady's office to start discussing this new position, and while she was waiting, she got a call from her last temp job, and they offered her a full time position. So when the lady brought her into her office, my friend says "Um, before we start, you're not gonna like this, but..."