PDA

View Full Version : "A Look at Product Development" CD_ROM

moot
12-07-2005, 08:58 AM
Has anyone used this as a part of their PD program? If so, did you just go through the presentation & write a summary?

GadgetGeek
12-07-2005, 09:48 AM
That is what I'm planning on doing. And that is what a co-worker did, without issue.
My problem is that I can't get it to run on my machine here at work, so I guess that means my kids get to help me go through this exercise.

CMC
12-07-2005, 10:05 AM
That's what I'm doing now.

moot
12-07-2005, 10:40 AM
It wouldn't run on my computer at work, either, but I got it to work on an old one at home (Windows XP).

Gal Friday
12-07-2005, 11:34 AM
Don't just write a summary. It's an approved "seminar" (so-to-speak) so they have a summary already. What's important is that you write up HOW YOU CAN APPLY THE INFO TO YOUR JOB.

Meg
12-13-2005, 06:53 PM
Is this CD considered part of the Distant Learning program? In another words, does it count as part of the 15 credits I can earn before I file my initial plan?

GadgetGeek
12-14-2005, 10:20 AM
Is this CD considered part of the Distant Learning program? In another words, does it count as part of the 15 credits I can earn before I file my initial plan?

This is the response I got from PDComments@soa.org

Candidates are also allowed to have 15 units prior to initial acceptance, and distance learning credits count towards that maximum. You would be able to listen to/view the PD CD-ROM after your initial acceptance date, and the date of viewing as the effective date in your plan.

Faye
12-16-2005, 04:01 PM
Could anyone tell me about the contents of this CD? Is it mostly Product Design and Pricing or it contains a lot of regulation and taxation topics as well? I am trying to allocate the 12 PD units to the 3 main topic areas....

torrent
12-22-2005, 12:10 PM
I can't believe SOA didn't bother to update the CD to a newer OS other than Win 95 and 3.1.

I could not make it run on XP, any help is appreciated.

Thx

CMC
12-23-2005, 09:56 AM
I can't believe SOA didn't bother to update the CD to a newer OS other than Win 95 and 3.1.

Thx

I eventually got it to run, but I had to install it a bunch of times. Then it suddenly started working.

Now I'm just waiting for my approval...

bubba_joe
12-23-2005, 12:54 PM
The CD was horrible and I included that comment in my writeup. Both the age and content.

At least they know I actually did review it.

Upside: 15 easy credits!

:)

torrent
12-23-2005, 01:27 PM
The CD was horrible and I included that comment in my writeup. Both the age and content.

At least they know I actually did review it.

Upside: 15 easy credits!

:)

15? I thought they give you 12 credits for it.

$99.95 for a CD ROM (only runs well on Win 95 and 3.1), what a rip-off!
Could've gotten the "Debbie Does Dallas" box set instead.

GadgetGeek
12-23-2005, 03:42 PM

Thx

Go drag that PC out of the closet that they keep for running old illustrations on and install it there.

I don't think it will run on any PC with more than 1g of memory. Someone will likely prove me wrong, I'm sure.

torrent
12-23-2005, 04:20 PM
I found a fix.

You have to unintall the QuickTime on the target machine first, as the CD includes a much older version of QuickTime which is not compatible with the new one.

ExamHater
12-24-2005, 01:52 AM
Could anyone tell me about the contents of this CD?

So now that you managed to install it, what's on the CD?

bubba_joe
12-27-2005, 03:05 PM
15? I thought they give you 12 credits for it.

SORRY, YOUR RIGHT, IT WAS 12.....

THE OTHER 3 I GOT REAL EASY FROM SOME TAPES THOUGH.....

Fotheringay-Phipps
01-13-2006, 02:43 PM
Does this CD count towards the 15 maximum credits that can be attained remotely, or is this somehow independent of that rule? (IOW - to be as clear as possible - can you get 12 credits from this CD and then get 6 more from tapes of SOA meeting, SOA webcasts and the like?)

Ohly73
01-16-2006, 04:51 PM
Both my work and home computer use XP. Are you telling me that I will not be able to use this CD on any one of these machines?

flamingobay
01-17-2006, 10:37 AM
I'm still wondering about the content covered in the CD. They provided the least information possible about this CD in the SoA bookstore. I'm in the health field. Does it cover health product?

And also where did you get the information about the tapes that some of you used? Thanks!

GadgetGeek
01-17-2006, 01:11 PM
Both my work and home computer use XP. Are you telling me that I will not be able to use this CD on any one of these machines?
My home machine is XP. I don't quite have the CD working yet, but I'm close. I tried running the whole thing from the hard drive and it was wanting the CD in the drive and it was at work that day. I think it will work with XP if 1) you have less than 1gig of memory and 2) you uninstall any versions of quicktime you have and install the version from the CD.
I THINK this will work. Hopefully I'll get the chance to test my theory one of the next few nights.

Gal Friday
01-17-2006, 03:04 PM
I'm still wondering about the content covered in the CD. They provided the least information possible about this CD in the SoA bookstore. I'm in the health field. Does it cover health product?

And also where did you get the information about the tapes that some of you used? Thanks!

No, it does not cover health. It is definitely from a life insurance perspective. I think the case study thingy included is about developing a new VUL product. It talks about different profit measures, setting assumptions, filing and implementation issues, product management (once it's implemented), stuff like that. Pretty general and probably no earth-shattering revelations for anyone who's ever done life pricing.

Gal Friday
01-17-2006, 03:06 PM
Oh, and the format of the cd is terrible. It's not like you can just start and work your way through the whole thing. It's divided up into sections and each section has subsections. It was a pain to get it to run on my computer too, not sure how I eventually got it to work, but it did.

pepeTHEgrate
01-17-2006, 04:13 PM
is anyone done with the Product Development CD? I'll purchase it. Email me at pepethegrate@juno.com please.

Ohly73
01-17-2006, 06:01 PM
If you work in a different field than Life, such as Long Term Care, can we still use the product development CD as a way to obtain PD credits.

Where can I buy this CD?

soa
01-18-2006, 04:50 AM
Me too would be interested to buy a copy of the Product development CD, cheungckm@hotmail.com

Soccerboy
01-19-2006, 10:42 AM
Me too would be interested to buy a copy of the Product development CD, cheungckm@hotmail.com

Me Too..please PM me details

Datatarium
01-25-2006, 11:52 PM
Anyone try using the Product Development CD for Health concentration? Did it work?

CMC
01-26-2006, 11:39 AM
Anyone try using the Product Development CD for Health concentration? Did it work?

Yes and Yes. I just talked about how I would apply the similar concepts to health product development.

And I'm on my way to Atlanta! :guitarwo:

botswana
03-02-2006, 07:44 PM
I just got this and started looking at it. I had no idea it was only about life insurance product development. It doesn't relate to my work in health or my PD goals. I will still include this as part of my PD program, knowing it's not in the right spirit of not 'stretching' a program to claim it fits in with your goals.

So my question is, how could one have known before hand that this c.d. was only about life insurance, if they didn't think to look for that particular piece of info on RF? Is the term 'product development' generally known to be life insurance jargon?

Have any of you in health decided not to use it b/c of its irrelevance?

YZM
07-13-2006, 03:19 PM
Don't just write a summary. It's an approved "seminar" (so-to-speak) so they have a summary already. What's important is that you write up HOW YOU CAN APPLY THE INFO TO YOUR JOB.

Hi, Gal.

Could you tell me where I can find the summary of "A Look at Product Development CD Rom"?

Thanks

YZM

night cat
07-31-2006, 03:33 PM
I decide to use the CD for my PD. I cannot wait the spring meeting tapes any longer, which takes forever to come out.
From SOA page
"Product Development CD Rom
Members $99.95 (subsequent copies in same order) $49.95 & Academic Members $49.95 and Interested Professionals $149.95"

So how much is the CD? $99.95 or $49.95 ? Thanks!!!

Sodii
11-03-2006, 03:43 PM
Anyone know if webcasts count toward my 15 credit distance learning limit? I am getting 12 credits from the product development cd and have 3 credits worth of webcasts I have sat in on. Am I at the Max for distance learning, or do I still have 3 credits remaining? Thanks!

JJ_Franch
12-18-2006, 05:37 PM
OK, it is not what I expected, so how do I know it is working properly? On the introduction part I got the audio- the guy talking. But then, it looked like a slide presentation without audio. Is this what it is? I kind of expected more of a tape-like deal- you listen a lot! Any help will be appreciated!

JJ_Franch
12-19-2006, 12:19 PM
This thing is absolutely useless! So, the PD committee says industry exams such as NASD are not acceptable for PD credit because don't cover in-dept enough the topics (beyond Courses 1-8 knowledge). But the CD does. Give me a BREAK! From the CD I didn't learn a single new item that wasn't covered in Course 5 and 6.

campbell
12-19-2006, 01:30 PM
And now you see why I'm taking CSP.... (just kidding)

12-20-2006, 12:52 PM
Anyone know if webcasts count toward my 15 credit distance learning limit? I am getting 12 credits from the product development cd and have 3 credits worth of webcasts I have sat in on. Am I at the Max for distance learning, or do I still have 3 credits remaining? Thanks!Sodii, I think that's the max for you. I'm no expert, though. You could email pdcomments@soa.org. They are very helpful in answering questions.

12-20-2006, 01:13 PM
Yeah, in the Professional Development Requirement - Overview http://www.soa.org/ccm/content/exams-education-jobs/candidate-and-exam-information/update/ they state that the "Maximum number of distance learning credits (audiotapes, videotapes, virtual campus, webcasts, internet programs, CD-ROM products or other distance media)" is 15.