PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for PD credit!

MegasusNoodle
01-22-2006, 11:08 PM
So I'm trying to get my PD credits as quickly as possible so that I'll have a chance to earn my FSA before going back to school this fall...

Does anyone have good ideas for the remaining twenty PD credits (after the 15 distance learning and 15 for the project)? I think I need to have everything finished by March.

I am based in Boston and can travel but want to limit the travel to not much further than NY so that I'm not costing my company an arm and a leg to get my FSA.

Please help!

Thanks in advance.

Willie Mosconi
01-23-2006, 09:51 AM
Look at the following link:

http://www.soa.org/ccm/content/exams-education-jobs/candidate-and-exam-information/approve/

This has the SOA's current list of approved seminars for PD credit. Unfortunately, there aren't that many by March. You can also search around for other seminars that are not on the list, and then find out if you can get approval for PD. That's quite a short time frame for 20 credits if you are already using up your distance learning credits.

Did you attend any meetings in the last two years? If so, then you could get up to 15 credits prior to filing your initial PD plan.

Actuarial Student
01-23-2006, 09:09 PM
Hi megasusnoodle,

Would you please say something about the procedures for the distance learning approach to get 15 PD?

Do we need to write a report to SOA and how long does it take ?

And is it alright for me to do the distance learning before submitting the PD plan to SOA?

Thanks.

Willie Mosconi
01-24-2006, 09:51 AM
Hi megasusnoodle,

Would you please say something about the procedures for the distance learning approach to get 15 PD?

Do we need to write a report to SOA and how long does it take ?

And is it alright for me to do the distance learning before submitting the PD plan to SOA?

Thanks.

You can earn up to 15 credits prior to submitting your plan. Any or all of those 15 can be earned via the distance learning option. However, you can also only earn up to 15 credits via distance learning. I recommend trying to attend a conference for some of those so that you don't use up all 15 distance learning. You might need those later.

Actuarial Student
01-24-2006, 09:09 PM
Thanks willie again,

I have 40 PD now.
And I attended a 2-day seminar, Prophet User Group Meeting , organised by Trowbridge Deloitte in Hong Kong in mid 2004.
Is it alright for me to use it to fulfill the 10 PD left prior to the submission of my PD plan?
And do I need to write a report to SOA?

Willie Mosconi
01-24-2006, 11:07 PM
Thanks willie again,

I have 40 PD now.
And I attended a 2-day seminar, Prophet User Group Meeting , organised by Trowbridge Deloitte in Hong Kong in mid 2004.
Is it alright for me to use it to fulfill the 10 PD left prior to the submission of my PD plan?
And do I need to write a report to SOA?

You should contact Jacquenette Moody at the SOA to see if it's okay to use that meeting. Normally there's not a problem with getting meetings like that approved. You just need to submit any materials to them.

Actuarial Student
01-25-2006, 12:20 AM
Thanks Willie once again,

Would you please give me the email address for Jacquenette Moody?

But I am not sure the seminar mentioned was on the list of approved PD program or not.

Anyway, what materials should be submitted to SOA, a report or the seminar's schedule and handout?

I'll appreciate you very much because i really don't know the details and procedures to get PD.

Willie Mosconi
01-25-2006, 09:09 AM
Thanks Willie once again,

Would you please give me the email address for Jacquenette Moody?

But I am not sure the seminar mentioned was on the list of approved PD program or not.

Anyway, what materials should be submitted to SOA, a report or the seminar's schedule and handout?

I'll appreciate you very much because i really don't know the details and procedures to get PD.

I don't know her e-mail address. Can you access the SOA website at all? It would be much easier than someone retrieving bits and pieces for you. There's a link at the bottom of the main page for the staff listing. If you click it, you can find her name, and then click on the link below her name to e-mail her.

rod
01-26-2006, 05:14 PM
Regarding the 15 credits prior to submition of initial plan, if I listen to a tape from last year meeting, does it count as prior or after, because I sign up for the distance learning after filing of initial plan and I get the tape through distance learning.

Phil
01-26-2006, 05:47 PM
Regarding the 15 credits prior to submition of initial plan, if I listen to a tape from last year meeting, does it count as prior or after, because I sign up for the distance learning after filing of initial plan and I get the tape through distance learning.
If you submit your initial plan on 1/1/2006, then buy tapes on 3/1/2006 and they're recordings of a meeting from 9/27/2005, it counts as PRIOR to initial plan. The date of the meeting itself is the key.

rod
01-27-2006, 12:35 PM
If you submit your initial plan on 1/1/2006, then buy tapes on 3/1/2006 and they're recordings of a meeting from 9/27/2005, it counts as PRIOR to initial plan. The date of the meeting itself is the key.

Thanks Phil