PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to order new Part5 manuals?

Graduate
11-07-2002, 10:45 PM
mmmm....not enough responses on CAS forum so here I go again:

Well...last May(2002) I bought used All-10 and CSM manuals from a guy who passed part5 in May 2000. I had been extremely foolish in not knowing about the CAS habit of keep changing few articles every now and then for CAS specific exams. Last sitting I found that I had to prepare two ISO articles on my own, but that wasn't a big deal so everything was ok.

For 2003 sitting, CAS has announced to make only one change, Adding "Jones" instead of "McCarthy, Premium Trend Revisited":

http://www.casact.org/students/syllabus/2003/exam5.htm

BUT, they have 3 more readings with updated materials marked as "W-NEW".

I havn't seen those "W-NEW" readings yet, so I don't know how much they actually differ but my concerns are that I'may have to prepare 6-7 Ratemaking readings on my own in addition to May 2000 version of All-10 and CSM. (2000,2001,2002 Past exams are available on CAS web and therefore, shudn't be a problem).

I'm a private candidate(putting my own $ into exams) and I don't have any CAS friend nearby from whom I could photocopy few readings.

What you guys do in such situations? Do you stick with older manuals? Or Do I need to put excessive money in buying new ones from my own pocket :swear: :swear: :swear: ??

Basso
11-08-2002, 12:24 PM
If you are shelling out the cost of the manual on your own, just review the new articles. If you can get someone else to pay, get the new manual. After you compare the articles to last year's articles, I am willing to bet there are only minor changes. If that is the case, the manual you have is still probably okay.

BTW, does preparing for 6-7 readings without a study manual really seem that bad? I guess I don't see the big deal about preparing for some articles without a study manual.

RamPrasad
11-14-2002, 11:31 AM
I would also be using All 10 (Year 2000 Edition) for preparing for part 5 examination. I don't think it would be a problem. The only new paper that has been added is Jone's paper on premium trending. Past exam qestions with solutions are available at the CAS website.