PDA

View Full Version : Course 9/PD credits?

bambi
11-13-2002, 09:52 PM
Does anyone know if Course 9 is difficult to obtain? What is the typical time spent in finishing this course? Can one get all the required PD credits within a year with no problem?

Brad Spirrison
11-14-2002, 12:57 PM
I am assuming that by course 9 you mean PD and not some 2005 transition thing.

For me it took about 4 months to complete my 30 credits of PD with no project. If you have enough PD to avoid the project, I would do so in the interest of time.

Also, don't use any tapes from sessions that don't provide outlines. This can really slow down the process. Those of you who have done this will know exactly what I am talking about.

I think 1 month per 10 credits is not unreasonable if you follow the above guidelines. Also, the more credits that you have, you will probably end up spending more time per credit.

bambi
11-14-2002, 01:34 PM
Thanks younanimouse,

So, I am assuming there are 30 credits in total for course 9? I have no PD credits which means I need to start from square one. It is my understanding that I can not even attempt to start working on the PD credits until I have passed course 8. Do you have course 8 passed or did you already have some of the PD credits through the old transition and you just finished completing your remaining credits?

Brad Spirrison
11-14-2002, 02:02 PM
Thanks younanimouse,

So, I am assuming there are 30 credits in total for course 9? I have no PD credits which means I need to start from square one. It is my understanding that I can not even attempt to start working on the PD credits until I have passed course 8. Do you have course 8 passed or did you already have some of the PD credits through the old transition and you just finished completing your remaining credits?

PD (course 9) has a 50 credit requirement. 15 of those credits need to be fulfilled by doing a project. I had 20 credits at transition used in lieu of the project, which was allowed. You are allowed to attend events or buy tapes for events before your PD plan is approved. However, you are limited to 15 credits from sessions that occured before approval. Also keep in mind that none of your PD credits can be more than 25 months old (with the exception of transition credits or credits from other exams, such as another course 8 ).

If you feel confident that you passed Course 8, getting started on PD is not a bad idea. SOA meetings that have tapes and outlines available are good sources because they are officially sanctioned by the SOA and thus are more likely to be approved without a big hassle. Another caveat is that any credits that come prior to your initial PD Plan submission need to be compatible with your eventual PD plan.

A lot of this might not make too much sense, so I would suggest that you visit the SOA website and look under Education & Exams in the Professional Development Page.

I would also scour the past meetings page to see what kind of topics were covered in past meetings, as well as the types of materials available from those meetings (including tapes and outlines).

This should give you plenty to work with.

I had Course 8 passed but

Me
11-14-2002, 05:08 PM
You need to read everything here:
http://www.soa.org/eande/prodev.html

NYC Triathlete
11-15-2002, 02:57 PM
Hi Bambi. Long time no see. How was Course 8 for you and how was Hawaii?