PDA

View Full Version : Credit for Graduate classes

RealSix
03-15-2006, 06:55 PM
The SOA web page states that graduate classes can be used for PD. Has anyone done this, or know what kind of limits there usually are as far direct relevance? I mean, does the class have to be an Investment class if your PD plan is in the area of investment, or will a phd level probability class, which covers brownian motion, and markov chains, etc.. be fair game?

Also, is there a list of approved CD's and video's and corresponding credit?

RealSix
03-21-2006, 04:03 PM
..okay then!

Well, does anybody know about the video's and CD. Specificially, which ones are approved, how many credits are assigned, how to get them, and if you need to write up anything when you are done?

Surfohio
05-18-2006, 06:11 PM
I did not see anywhere that it said graduate classes could be used for PD. It did say that a Master's thesis, PhD thesis, or other published work could be.

RealSix
05-29-2006, 02:49 PM
"Non-approved Programs = 15 Units maximum

The non-approved category includes educational programs that the candidate and advisor believe are consistent with the educational objectives of the candidate's plan. Nonactuarial seminars, professional meetings and :) GRADUATE LEVEL COURSES :) are among the programs suitable for inclusion. Non-approved programs are valued at a maximum of 5 units per full day program and 10 units maximum for any one program, regardless of length. "

I would like my PD to be related to investments and last semester I took a phd level course on probability theory which covered Brownian motion, etc..

Are they pretty flexible with this "Non-approved programs" credits? Somebody much have used these non-approved credits, and should be able to provide some feedback.