PDA

View Full Version : Studying

StephenLL
12-03-2002, 09:09 AM
Hello all,

This is my first exam in many years. I was wondering how many hours do you study during the week vs weekend (per day)? Please indicate whether or not you are a student or a full time employee.

I'm going to try to study 2 hrs/day (Mon-Sun) and then move to about 3hrs/day (Mon-Sun), and then finally the month before the exam 3hrs/day during the week and 5hrs /day on the weekend.

Thanks.

Stephen

J.T.
12-03-2002, 11:51 AM
I shoot for 400 hours for each exam. I then divide by the number of weeks I have left, and figure out my hours from there.

jaegar
12-03-2002, 10:26 PM
Stephen,

How long has it been since your last exam? Have you taken any under the new exam system? In any event, here is my general exam strategy for each sitting.

I generally aim for 500 study hours for each exam, however, a small portion of those hours are company supplied time. Alternatively, I usually strive for an average of 30 hours per week. Of course, like anything in life you are preparing for, this is a building process. As I begin studying, my weekly total tends to be in the high teens to low twentys. Usually the final month is in the high thirtys to low fortys. During the week, Mon through Thurs, I like to get 3 to 4 hours a day. For my weekend, Fri through Sun, I prefer 8 hours per day.

AfroSoul
12-06-2002, 01:04 PM
I've heard people throw out numbers like 400, 500 hours per exam and I am totally flabergasted. How do you people do it!! I bearly break the 150 hour mark and even then I'm pooped. I guess it all boils down to your study methods. Personally, I aim for 2hrs a day for 7 weeks and then 4 hrs (of mostly practice exam questions) during the last week. For course 4, I took a vacation at the end of the summer and came back the week after labour day so effectivley I only had 6 weeks but no mater how hard I tried, my mind would just shut down after 2 hours of studying! SO, my message to you is don't let people scare you into thinking you absolutly have to put in 500 hours. It just simply depends on your own study methods. By this stage I would think you know yourself well enough to gauge your own abilities so just do what you would normally do (e.g. in school) and adjust upwards or downwards based on your progress.

IOWA ACTUARY
12-06-2002, 04:08 PM
Afro - if you can pass with that amount, great. I'm jealous. But the 400 - 500 is definitely more the norm. And some spend that much on a couple of tries each.

J.T.
12-06-2002, 05:26 PM
Afro- I second what Iowa said.

To expand on my earlier post, I generally try to study 2 hours per day during the week, and then try to study about 4 hours per day on the weekend. Of course, I may end up studying longer on the weekend if I didn't get my 2 hours per day.

Good luck.

Oh, and I usually take about 2 or 3 days off about halfway through so I don't get burned out.

EconWiz
12-06-2002, 05:45 PM
Afro- I second what Iowa said.

To expand on my earlier post, I generally try to study 2 hours per day during the week, and then try to study about 4 hours per day on the weekend. Of course, I may end up studying longer on the weekend if I didn't get my 2 hours per day.

Good luck.

Oh, and I usually take about 2 or 3 days off about halfway through so I don't get burned out.

J.T.,

Do you study at this rate for 5 1/2 months? In order to reach 400 hrs by spending 18 hrs/week, you would need to study for 22.22 weeks.

Pi Man
12-06-2002, 08:12 PM
[troll]i've never studied for more than 100 hours for any sitting and have yet to fail[\troll]

i count hours for about a week or two, then stop, so i'm not really sure just how much i study. good results so far, but that deosn't really help you, does it?

jaegar
12-06-2002, 11:12 PM
To be honest, I think everyone is right. It really comes down to each's own ability. I wish I could study 100 hours and be fine, however, that is not me. I would rather study more hours than I need and no everything like the back of my hand, than go into an exam and feel like its a gamble (gamble for me that is). Additionally, it would be nice if I did not have to track hours, and just go with a free-flow studying technique, but I know that would not work for me. Really, figure out what is best for you and your learning style.