PDA

View Full Version : turns out 8F was a joke

bri1600bv
01-13-2003, 11:29 AM
4 out of 4 passed in my office. Including 3 chinese (ie from china or taiwan) whose English skills aren't the best. I talked to two of them and they didn't understand the concepts that well. Anxious to see what the grades were.
:argue:

bri1600bv
01-13-2003, 12:00 PM
He's a lab so he's pretty smart, but still, what does it take to fail this thing? And how does that make me feel for studying so hard?

JO
01-13-2003, 12:53 PM
Well I passed and had soso understanding on some concepts (direct vs indirect method and the real options book for example) and I could definitely have used another sitting to grasp the material to a much greater extent had I failed. Still I thought I did well on the exam considering this fact so that's my definition of a 6 right there (although I haven't received my grade yet). It could have been a 5 too.

Anyway what do I care if it was a joke or not. 47 people passed so unless less than 100 people took it, I'd say it's in line with what the percentage has been those last 2 years. I'm done and that's what matters.

Abducens
01-13-2003, 12:54 PM
I just looked up my candidate number on 8F. I passed too, and I didn't even sit for it. Weird.

chica
01-14-2003, 10:58 AM
I agree with JO: Who the hel- cares? Pretty much anyone I knew who took any course 8 exam passed. I doubt the pass rate will be much bigger than the past rates of about 50% (do you really think they'd put up a 75% pass rate?). Plus, those who passed studied reasonably hard and we're obviously somewhat intelligent - we all made it this far. Course 8 shouldn't be designed to be a "weeding out" exam. I'd be pretty pissed if they chose to pass 30%.

Plus, I find your comment about your coworkers being "chinese" ridiculous. Why did it matter? Couldn't you have just said two of your coworkers didn't understand all of the concepts well and they still passed? Were you trying to say that you didn't think they could communicate well? If that's true then maybe they got all of there points on the numerical questions. Stop being bitter that a lot of people passed and just be happy that you did.

getoffmynz
01-14-2003, 08:51 PM
My god, what a jerk you are, bri1600bv. With an attitude like that, you didn't deserve to pass. I hope you work independently and no one reports to you. Because I would feel very sorry for them. You are a tool.

bambi
01-14-2003, 09:27 PM
bri1600bv-

I would not pass judgement like that. I actually think that a lot of Asian people have a pretty good memory because of the rigorous schooling back in Asia. They may not seem to understand the concepts to you because they are better at listing out the ideas on paper than they are at expressing it out loud (a possible language barrier). I believe the society is more interested in lists and calculations pulled directly from the material rather than how eloquently the student writes.

Next time, I can try writing my paper in broken english and see what happens...

JO
01-15-2003, 04:44 PM
ttt