PDA

View Full Version : I need only 5 PD credit, will they

me_again
01-17-2003, 07:03 PM
5 PD credits, will they accept a small project? Or does it have to be some kind of PhD thesis. I'm thinking of adding a policy beholder behavior feature (lapsing with changes in interest rates) onto an interest sensitive type of product. We don't have canned software, so I'd be doing the programming myself.

I think the programming would be simple, I could do it in 10-20 hours. The results would be very interesting as currently my company has policyholder behavior that doesn't change with interest rates at all.

Is there a way to find out if they'll accept this before I start doing the whole thing?

mayreeh
01-18-2003, 12:14 PM
Put together an initial professional development plan and submit it. Ask for it to be reviewed prior to approval.

You'll have to file your PD filing fee and your letter of commitment with your advisor then too.

The PD rules do recommend doing a project even if you don't have to. Seems like they would agree to a smaller project if you only have 5 credits of PD to fulfill.

If not, another approach is non-SOA approved credits. Do the programming and instead of submitting it as a project, use it as the basis for two one hour seminars that you would present to co-workers and the like. As long as your advisor approves, 1 hour of presentation is 3 units of non-SOA approved credit.

no
01-18-2003, 08:18 PM
I think the programming would be simple, I could do it in 10-20 hours. The results would be very interesting as currently my company has policyholder behavior that doesn't change with interest rates at all.

If I had such an interesting and useful project that can be done under 20hrs, I would have done it regardless of PD credits.

Normally, I would spend more than 20hrs on projects that look interesting to realize that there are better (canned) alternatives
available.

Just Answer My Questions
01-20-2003, 11:14 AM
Can presenations before submitting a PD application count towards non-SOA approved credits? If so, what kind of documentation should I be holding on to after making my presentation?

thanks!