PDA

View Full Version : Certificate presentation at FAC

Snow White
01-19-2003, 05:59 PM
T or F

At the FAC, they have a "ceremony" to present FSA certificates in the form of a dinner/luncheon.

If so, can you bring a guest(s)?

CaptainCavy
01-19-2003, 11:01 PM
I believe you can. I seem to recall several spouses at my table. It should say so in your registration material and how much it costs for them to attend.

In England
01-20-2003, 10:06 AM
Can I bring 3 guests? What time of day is the ceremony?

Minerva
01-20-2003, 01:18 PM
The dinner / presentation is in the evening, about 6:30 pm.

I'd ask if you can bring 3 guests.

urysohn
01-21-2003, 12:06 AM
At least a few people had multiple guests in attendance. I'm not sure if they actually cap the number of guests you can bring, or let the relatively high cost do it for them (might be around $75, but I don't recall)

In England
01-21-2003, 07:04 AM
Here is how the SoA answered my e-mail:

"There is no limit [on the number of guests], the most I have seen is 12 people. The dinner starts at 6:00pm, the presentation at 7:30pm on Friday."

I'll ask about the cost.

Me
01-21-2003, 11:23 AM
Anyone know if kids are allowed? I'll be in Montreal (hopefully) with my spouse and munchkin. Unless the hotel has child care, I'll have to bring the munchkin along. I don't mind if I have to pay $75 for the kid to not eat what they're serving.

In England
01-21-2003, 11:37 AM
The SoA says:

"For dinner only is $ 65 per person. For all meals during your stay, breakfast, lunch and dinner during the FAC on Thursday and Friday is $ 175 per person."

Snow White
01-22-2003, 03:23 PM
Thanks everyone! :P

urysohn
01-22-2003, 03:26 PM
Kids are allowed - I saw some ranging from 2 months to 5 years, although I'm sure there were some older ones as well that I just didn't see.

PinkFloydActuary
01-23-2003, 09:59 AM
Anyone know if kids are allowed? I'll be in Montreal (hopefully) with my spouse and munchkin. Unless the hotel has child care, I'll have to bring the munchkin along. I don't mind if I have to pay $75 for the kid to not eat what they're serving.

Kids are definitely allowed. I sat next to a nine year old in November.

bri1600bv
01-25-2003, 05:49 PM
So there's a "dinner"? Does that mean you have to wear a suit and you'll be an oddball in the usual business casual? Don't think I still have a suit...unless I lose about 20 pounds...ha ha

PinkFloydActuary
01-27-2003, 09:59 AM
So there's a "dinner"? Does that mean you have to wear a suit and you'll be an oddball in the usual business casual? Don't think I still have a suit...unless I lose about 20 pounds...ha ha

Yep. Dinner is business formal.

Me
01-27-2003, 10:47 AM
Yep. Dinner is business formal.

You've got to be kidding. The munchkin doesn't have anything "business formal" and isn't likely to soon. And with trying to pack all the necessary munchkin stuff to fit for the plane, I'm not thrilled with the idea of trying to get my business formal there unsmooshed and untromped on.

Minerva
01-27-2003, 01:07 PM
The munchkin doesn't have anything "business formal" and isn't likely to soon.

Based on way too many years of motherhood experience, munchkins in "Sunday best" or "showing off to the relatives" should be quite sufficient. (Just wait, the bad time is when they are high school age boys, too big to buy dress clothes in the boys' department - THAT'S expensive!)

And with trying to pack all the necessary munchkin stuff to fit for the plane, I'm not thrilled with the idea of trying to get my business formal there unsmooshed and untromped on.

Pack the jacket in a cleaning or garbage bag at the very bottom of the suitcase, draping the arms over the sides. Put the pants/skirt, folded neatly right on top. Put all/most of the other soft stuff on top. Wrap the arms (and bottom of the jacket, if necessary) around this soft package - no creases. At worst, any slight smooshings should hang out in 2 days, at least enought to look good in your photo with Panjer.

mayreeh
01-27-2003, 07:11 PM
Yuck.... I won't make it until May at the earliest, but I don't have any business formal these days.

Can you skip the dinner?

sh4m
01-28-2003, 12:40 AM
I am a little surprised. I just realized that FAC is always (at least in 2003) offered on Thursday and Friday with dinner and certificate presentation Friday night. Being from NYC and knowing that there are a lot of Orthodox Jews in the profession I am surprised that SOA does not care to be politically correct (Friday night is Jewish Shabbat and Orthodox Jews canít attend any professional meeting at that time).

I wonder if anyone knows whether this issue was addressed by SOA before. I am sure there are Jewish Orthodox FSAs out there and I would like to know what they did.

NoName
01-28-2003, 08:13 AM
At least when I went, they asked people on the last day who would not be at the dinner (either for religious reasons or because they just didn't want to come); certificates for these people were handed out at the last session. A large majority did go, however.

Brad Spirrison
01-29-2003, 03:13 PM
Yuck.... I won't make it until May at the earliest, but I don't have any business formal these days.

Can you skip the dinner?

You can skip the dinner but why would you. It's the best part. Everyone's having a good time. The liquor is flowing (the good stuff--- top shelf --- comes out that night). It's a rite of passage that no new FSA should miss.

Jaelle
01-29-2003, 08:01 PM
Thursday & Friday only must be new, since I attended in 2002 on a Monday & Tuesday.

-J

Brad Spirrison
01-30-2003, 11:09 AM
Thursday & Friday only must be new, since I attended in 2002 on a Monday & Tuesday.

-J

It's not new at all. The August 2002 FAC was on a Thursday/Friday.

Jaelle
01-30-2003, 03:17 PM
I meant having ALL of them during the year on Thurs & Fri seems new.

-J

Brad Spirrison
01-31-2003, 10:19 AM
I meant having ALL of them during the year on Thurs & Fri seems new.

-J

Perhaps it's a concession to people wanting to make a vacation out of the trip or to companies that don't want their people to miss 3 days of work.

urysohn
01-31-2003, 10:40 AM
No business attire? It's a suit, man! What would you wear to an unexpected funeral? Or a wedding? Or for that really fancy dinner? Or to any number of other things you might have to attend in formal dress on short notice? Splurge the $250 for a decent-but-not-too-expensive suit. You're not in high school any more - "I'd rather skip an important event than pack/wear a suit" is just a tad bit juvenile. It's a formal dinner to celebrate the culmination of years of intensive effort, dedication, and sacrifice by you and your family in the company of your professional peers. Go. Dress up. Enjoy.

(But don't go fancy with kids 18 months or under or so - I'd say anything not bright orange should be just fine)

C5Funus
01-31-2003, 06:12 PM
No business attire? It's a suit, man! What would you wear to an unexpected funeral? Or a wedding? Or for that really fancy dinner? Or to any number of other things you might have to attend in formal dress on short notice? Splurge the $250 for a decent-but-not-too-expensive suit. You're not in high school any more - "I'd rather skip an important event than pack/wear a suit" is just a tad bit juvenile. It's a formal dinner to celebrate the culmination of years of intensive effort, dedication, and sacrifice by you and your family in the company of your professional peers. Go. Dress up. Enjoy.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

"bri1600bv-dude, take your new GameCube back to Best Buy, and head on over to Men's Warehouse."

Brad Spirrison
01-31-2003, 06:33 PM
I'd say buy the suit.

It will no doubt come in handy when you decide to interview for a new job (once the flood of recruiter calls starts coming in).

Minerva
02-01-2003, 06:19 PM
(But don't go fancy with kids 18 months or under or so - I'd say anything not bright orange should be just fine)

What's wrong with bright orange? :D

astrogeek
02-04-2003, 04:33 PM
I have a new twist on the attire issue for you guys. I am anticipating attending Montreal in May and will be 5 months pregnant at the time. Business attire is not a problem in general, but maternity business attire? That I don't have.

Do I go in the nicest maternity dress I have and not worry about being under-dressed? Skip the dinner? Try to rent something??? Other ideas?

annabel lee
02-04-2003, 05:11 PM
Do I go in the nicest maternity dress I have and not worry about being under-dressed?

yes! It's a celebration in honor of all the hard work you've put in. Wear your favorite pretty maternity dress and don't think twice about it. Just relax and enjoy your moment.

paranoid
02-04-2003, 05:45 PM
I have a new twist on the attire issue for you guys. I am anticipating attending Montreal in May and will be 5 months pregnant at the time. Business attire is not a problem in general, but maternity business attire? That I don't have.

Do I go in the nicest maternity dress I have and not worry about being under-dressed? Skip the dinner? Try to rent something??? Other ideas?

I'm also trying to go in May, and I'll be almost 7 months along. I'm going to go with a nice maternity dress in a dark color. That should blend well enough. I'm glad to hear somebody else thinking about this already. I was feeling silly. Then again, I feel silly a lot lately. :P