PDA

View Full Version : 8G STUDY NOTES SOLD BY THE ACTUARIAL BOOKSTORE

Axsuetarian
01-20-2003, 12:26 PM
Can you tell me what you thought of these notes.

I'm trying to decide between 8G&M, and if these notes are fantastic, I might lean towards G.

Your help is appreciated,

glenn
01-20-2003, 12:37 PM
There's a sample of it in the downloads section here if that helps any.

Not Mike
01-20-2003, 12:43 PM
Can you tell me what you thought of these notes.

I'm trying to decide between 8G&M, and if these notes are fantastic, I might lean towards G.

Your help is appreciated,

Are you talking about "A Student's Perspective"?

If so, it was good, but not great... it did a good job of outlining the material (there were some "new" notes that weren't in there).... the one thing that it lacked was content regarding calculation-type questions... unfortunately for me, I'd say that the exam was ~ 30% calculation-type questions (maybe a little more or less, too lazy to look it up), and I didn't practice these very much....

I briefly looked at the Actex, and I'd say that the Student manual was much better....

boooeee
01-20-2003, 03:05 PM
Worth every penny. Based on its own merits, I think it does an excellent job of presenting the 8G material in a more digestible form. I used it as a starting point to create an even more condensed version (in the JAM condensed outline style). When you compare it against the Actex, it looks even better. I found the Actex pretty much useless and ignored it after the first few weeks of studying.

In short, I don't believe I would have passed without the benefit of the notes.

Abducens
01-20-2003, 05:54 PM
You might say that the SOA lost at "stump the boooeeee"

Slam64
01-20-2003, 10:44 PM
I used the overlapping outline for 8M. Yes, that's only about 2/3 of the material, but it is better than the ACTEX as far as condesing the material. I built my note cards for memorization off the obvious lists to be memorized. And even the part that I used the ACTEX for, I had an idea of how to trim it down to a reasonable level of knowledge.

Phil
01-21-2003, 11:46 AM
I will post some Kongsvedt notes for free on this forum very soon. I am just doing a final proofread. Kongsvedt wrote the Managed Care "Handbook" -- yeah, right, it should be called a truckbook, for course 8M.

-Phil

bambi
01-23-2003, 05:02 PM
I used actex. It was not very good.

Now, as for these new notes that are available. Where would one purchase it (I don't see any guides for sale other than the actex from the actuarial bookstore)? Who wrote it, just some other student trying to make money? Is it available in a diskette form? Is this only for 8G (not including 8M)?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

bambi
01-23-2003, 05:12 PM
Another comment. If we were to buy these notes, it would not be updated for the 2003 syllabus.

franklinma
01-24-2003, 12:02 PM
I used Actex as a reference sparingly but effectively. There is no sure fire way to pass without in-depth studying. Even the blessed JAM approach is not a replacement for reading, outlining and re-reading. If this outline has an approach that consolidates the lists then it may be beneficial. Watch for such an exam-prep aide for the Nov exam. I'm just looking for a publisher.