PDA

View Full Version : PD project ideas

Almost done
01-27-2003, 01:42 PM
Hi everyone! I was hoping that some of you who have already completed a PD project would be willing to share your topic. I'm trying to get a feel for how big the project needs to be and if you always need to compare/contrast different ideas, or if just improving on a process your company already has implemented is good enough. I think picking a topic is going to be the hardest part for me and I haven't gotten any really good ideas from my boss/advisor. I'm particularly interested in valuation and financial reporting topics, but I would think there are lots of people in my situation who would be interested in hearing project ideas in all areas. Well, thanks for any input..... :D

Abducens
01-27-2003, 02:18 PM
I'm currently doing a project that studies how much extra work and responsibility get dumped on you after you tell everyone you're done sitting for exams, regardless of whether you have your FSA and pay commensurate.

C5Funus
01-27-2003, 02:52 PM
I'm currently doing a project that studies how much extra work and responsibility get dumped on you after you tell everyone you're done sitting for exams, regardless of whether you have your FSA and pay commensurate.

Amen, my near-FSA brother.

mayreeh
01-27-2003, 07:07 PM
Per an email I sent to the society last year, the project can be based on a work project that is already in the past. They expect that you have to do some research on top of it, etc etc. You advisor just can't sign off on the finished project officially until after you submit the initial plan.

So, for my topic, I picked a project that my advisor and I worked on closely last year related to FAS 97. I'll do some extra research on FAS 97 and do a nice write up.

Depending on your advisor and your past projects, that might not be an option. But when we wrapped up our work last year, my advisor said "This would be the perfect project for PD. Wonder if the society will let you use it?"

A Student
01-28-2003, 12:19 PM
I don't need to do a project, but I thought doing a study on a potential change in accounting might be interesting. For instance, what impact would going to Fair Value accounting have on insurance co's in the US? Fair Value seems to be a hot topic right now, and there's a lot of open questions.

Dinklefwat
01-28-2003, 12:38 PM
I have 15 PD credits, so I don't need to do a project. However, I was considering doing one anyway. I know the guideline is 60-100 hours, but I think I'd like to spend at least 200 to really do it well. For the remainder of my PD, I think I'm going to sit for an additional Course 8 exam. Does anyone have any suggestions for which one I should take?

Almost done
01-28-2003, 12:59 PM
Thanks Mayreeh! I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Oh, does anyone know if the 25 month limit is to get your executed plan submitted or to get your executed plan approved??

Minerva
01-28-2003, 05:08 PM
It's to get your executed plan submitted - I asked.

Phil
01-28-2003, 05:11 PM
Dinkle, which c8 did you already take?

City Slicker
01-28-2003, 08:57 PM
I actually did my project on a possible treatment of variable under fair value. Fair value is a good topic because a) it's interesting (at least for this actuary) and b) no one really knows how to apply it to most US products, so you can be creative without fear of being wrong. My project was actually approved quite quickly, so I was able to get into the March FAC after submitting my plan in late December.

mayreeh
01-29-2003, 05:03 PM
CitySlicker - how long was your write up on your project?

I've been struggling with that one.

annabel lee
01-29-2003, 05:21 PM
City Slicker - you're officially in the March FAC? Mazel Tov!

Dinklefwat
01-31-2003, 11:29 AM
Phil,
My earlier post was a joke - I'm not actually going to take another course 8 or do a project. But, to answer your question, I took 8V.

City Slicker
02-03-2003, 03:13 PM
My writeup was 9 pages of text (12 pt, 1.5 line spacing) with 6 - 7 pages of attachments (tables, graphs). It should address most major issues but need not be all-encompassing (i.e., I did not deal with policy loans at all).

As for the March FAC -- see separate FAC spread discussing only Thurs/Fri dates this year. My first act as an FSA will be complaing to the SOA about that.

chica
02-05-2003, 12:39 PM
City Slicker - how many hours would you say it took you to complete your report - start to finish (including work time)? Thanks!

City Slicker
02-05-2003, 12:41 PM
I never had a good feeling for number of hours when to came to studying.... I would guess 80, but it might have been less.

no
02-07-2003, 11:21 AM
Did anybody try to get 15PD credits for the project by using some work you did prior to acceptance of the initial plan? I did a very interesting project a few months ago, I am wondering whether I could use that. I did ask pdcomments@soa.org, it might take a little while to get a response.

chica
02-07-2003, 01:37 PM
Someone earlier said that you could use a previous work project (I guess as long as you put in a little extra time to "expand the scope" beyond work only). Remember - the SOA probably doesn't know exactly when you did the project.

no
02-07-2003, 02:51 PM
Thanks chica!

I received the Product development CD-ROM, it looks really really boring. I am not in that area and I am sure there are lot of people who would enjoy going through it.