Actuarial Outpost

Actuarial Outpost (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/index.php)
-   Careers - Employment (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Have you ever had a challenging supervisor? How did you handle it? (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=210942)

HEALTHCARE RAWKS 02-07-2011 06:10 PM

Have you ever had a challenging supervisor? How did you handle it?

I've been blessed with wonderful managers, but I missed out on all the horror stories that make for such excellent banter. Fill me in, folks.

Sleepy Head 02-07-2011 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HEALTHCARE RAWKS (Post 5013723)
I've been blessed with wonderful managers, but I missed out on all the horror stories that make for such excellent banter. Fill me in, folks.

Sorry, no stories. Even jerks treat me well. :)

I don't put up with bad bosses. I know sometimes you don't have a choice due to other priorities in your life. But I like a quote from one of my favorite books: "Life is too short to put up with a-holes".

Sommelier 02-07-2011 10:19 PM

As I mentioned in the other thread, my first boss was a nightmare. They would come into my cube and yell their heads off if I made a mistake. (Keep in mind this was my first job - for the first bit of your career, of course you're going to make mistakes.) Boss also talked about me behind my back, which I just found to be very unprofessional. (Both personal stuff and work related stuff.) I stuck it out there for 4 years, surprisingly - the other people around me were amazing, and that helped get me through it.

Enough Exams Already 02-08-2011 07:04 AM

I've had bosses who were bad fits, and I've had bad bosses. I can usually handle the former. It's not like they're bad with everyone; we just don't communicate well, or see eye to eye about how things should be handled. It's a personality thing, and once I'm no longer reporting to him/her, the problem usually resolves itself.

Bad bosses, OTOH, are a different matter. I've seen them drive away whole teams to other companies. The biggest problem with bad bosses is how the company handles the problem. Most seem to be pretty unresponsive; managers are "made" guys, and the company will take the manager's side over the worker's side every time.

ditkaworshipper 02-08-2011 01:23 PM

I've had bad fit bosses mostly, so I can't really comment. The only type I wouldn't want to deal with is the type who keeps their perch through making their own employees look bad.

ldancer911 02-08-2011 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enough Exams Already (Post 5014302)
Bad bosses, OTOH, are a different matter. I've seen them drive away whole teams to other companies. The biggest problem with bad bosses is how the company handles the problem. Most seem to be pretty unresponsive; managers are "made" guys, and the company will take the manager's side over the worker's side every time.

:iatp:

Was my case at my last job (My manager's manager). When he was hired was a team of 12 people. When I finally quit there were 7 people there, 2 of them new hires. Wasn't really realistic about filling positions, always expected some perfect candidate to come in. Just managed to find some flaw in every candidate they interviewed and passed on a lot of good candidates. Despite repeated messages from CA and department head about finding ways to do less he always wanted more to be done. Liked the people who would work 12 hour days to get everything and pushed out the people who wanted to prioritize the work to get done what actually needed to be done. It was a bad situation.

Also my manager wasn't very good either. Very unclear about performance. Would tell me at mid-year I was doing a good job, keep it up kinda thing. Than blind-sided me with a shitty performance review at the end of the year. I asked him what happened and he denied ever saying I did a good job or anything like that.

Was a bad situation.

Stanley Milgram 02-08-2011 01:45 PM

I left the company.

Smartbill 02-08-2011 01:48 PM

Quote:

Very unclear about performance. Would tell me at mid-year I was doing a good job, keep it up kinda thing. Than blind-sided me with a shitty performance review at the end of the year. I asked him what happened and he denied ever saying I did a good job or anything like that.

Was a bad situation.
had that before, makes for a very no fun situation

Ninja Warrior 02-08-2011 01:50 PM

I had one bad boss, and that lasted for about a year. Not only did he have poor managerial skill, a lot of his actions invloved sexual harrassment, verbal abuse, and using employees as scapegoat whenever a project did not go as intended. He would even outright threatened employees saying that "If you make me unhappy, I would make sure you would not get a job ever in this field. I know many people in this small field."

My actions were keeping track of all written documentation as well as possible. I also had multiple discussions with HR and comments from other managers that I worked with to back my work quality/ethics.

Since HR could not/would not take any actions, and multiple employees who left before me mentioned the same feedback. I realized that it would not do my career any good staying in such environment. I gave notice, left and never looked back. Looking back, I did not know I had the courage in me (to leave without another job lined up), and I am glad I left at the time.

I am now in my new job and very grateful for a reasonable and supportive job environment. It only took me less than 2 months to find a much better position. Life is good now.

jalapeno29 02-08-2011 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ldancer911 (Post 5015577)
:iatp:

Was my case at my last job (My manager's manager). When he was hired was a team of 12 people. When I finally quit there were 7 people there, 2 of them new hires. Wasn't really realistic about filling positions, always expected some perfect candidate to come in. Just managed to find some flaw in every candidate they interviewed and passed on a lot of good candidates. Despite repeated messages from CA and department head about finding ways to do less he always wanted more to be done. Liked the people who would work 12 hour days to get everything and pushed out the people who wanted to prioritize the work to get done what actually needed to be done. It was a bad situation.

Also my manager wasn't very good either. Very unclear about performance. Would tell me at mid-year I was doing a good job, keep it up kinda thing. Than blind-sided me with a shitty performance review at the end of the year. I asked him what happened and he denied ever saying I did a good job or anything like that.

Was a bad situation.

sounds like exactly like my manager