Actuarial Outpost

Actuarial Outpost (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/index.php)
-   Short-Term Actuarial Math (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   June 2018 Exam C Thread (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=328359)

mplsreppin 01-17-2018 09:02 AM

Dkama, what are you talking about??

Are you saying you are taking practice exams six months out? If you're sitting in Feb, you're in the wrong thread...

Health, I've had the ASM since October and I'm not a huge fan so I looked into the Mahler material. He has the frequency distribution content posted for free and looking through that, IMO, his approach is much better suited to those that want to learn the material as opposed to just learning shortcuts.

The problem with ASM is that it teaches you how to take the test rather than the content on the test. Normally that's great, but in the world of the SOA, where they can easily obfuscate these problems and render them less recognizable, knowing the content is much more valuable. Again, just IMO.

I'll be going with Mahler.

LRoss716 01-17-2018 06:48 PM

Started TIA today. very first lesson, says 85% of people completed already. Didn't expect that lol interesting.

LyActuary 01-18-2018 08:13 PM

I'm aiming for C in June, but it's all dependent on how I did in the Nov MFE. Fingers crossed. Results are out tomorrow. #nerve-racking

LRoss716 01-18-2018 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyActuary (Post 9216952)
I'm aiming for C in June, but it's all dependent on how I did in the Nov MFE. Fingers crossed. Results are out tomorrow. #nerve-racking

I think I heard something about results not being instant. Can you explain? The site says it gives a preliminary pass/fail on screen, is that false?

royevans 01-18-2018 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LRoss716 (Post 9216960)
I think I heard something about results not being instant. Can you explain? The site says it gives a preliminary pass/fail on screen, is that false?

They changed MFE format last July so since then, there have not been instant results for MFE.

Triple Z 01-19-2018 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LRoss716 (Post 9215670)
Started TIA today. very first lesson, says 85% of people completed already. Didn't expect that lol interesting.

That's just out of those that have signed up for TIA already. I'd imagine that at least 50% of those who plan to use TIA, haven't signed up yet (myself included).

TGM_Vic 01-19-2018 01:19 PM

Aiming for the June sitting too! Anyone heard anything as to what the best study manuals/online courses are for this exam? Hoping to get going ASAP to be thoroughly prepared.

LRoss716 01-19-2018 03:19 PM

How can I anticipate when registration will open? I always wonder how people make sure they get weekend dates lol.

KristinaO 01-19-2018 08:04 PM

Does anyone have ASM manual for exam C for sale? I find ASM + practice questions from Coaching actuaries are the way to go!

loco_pabs 01-25-2018 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple Z (Post 9217470)
That's just out of those that have signed up for TIA already. I'd imagine that at least 50% of those who plan to use TIA, haven't signed up yet (myself included).

Signed up this week. Definitely getting like 65% of people completing videos I am on. Also, folks may have started earlier since it seems like a harder exam.